Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-01-2012, 20:53   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Building a Reefer Box with Aerogel

Some of you may not be hip to Aerogel yet and I would encourage you to explore it on Youtube and google it also. 10mm.(.400") has an R factor of 10.4. On this project I used 3 layer meaning R-31.2. Yet the total thickness gain is less than 1.5" on the outside of the box. The cost is about $6 @ sq. ft. So the insulation ended up around $250.

In photo 1, I constructed a male mold of Masonite (white on one side) epoxy tacked it, faired with bondo, primed, mold release and then Gel-coated it.

Photo 2 is a lay up with mat, cloth, then roving.

In the 3rd photo, you can see the flange for mounting it under the sink where the old front loader came out of my boat.

In photo 4 the Areogel is going on. Although they do not tell me it's safety issues, I would always wear a mask with this stuff. It powders terribly and has almost a static type ability to stick to absolutely everything.

Photo 5, I have wrapped it in clear wrap just because I did not know how it would react to polyester resin.

Finally in Photo 6 is a single layer of mat to encapsulate the Aerogel between the inner and outer box. Feel free to ask any questions. I am the Guinea pig on this one.

The salesman told me that he had sold to a fishing vessel that used it. They told him they had shut the refrigeration down for a day and discovered the box had dropped another degree in 24 hours. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	refer 001.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	36147   Click image for larger version

Name:	refer 003.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	36148  

Name:	refer 006.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	36149   Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	937
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	36150  

Name:	d.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	36151   Click image for larger version

Name:	f.jpg
Views:	1059
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	36152  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote