Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2015, 20:25   #1

Boat: Jonmeri 40
Bright blue-lime green bronze corrosion at 3 months

Do I have a problem with my new Buck-Algonquin seawater strainer? The strainer and the 2 bronze pipe-to-hose adapters were special ordered from B-A earlier this year at a cost of US$460, and have now been in service for only 3 and a half months. The solid bronze lid is showing discrete spots of green discoloration inside and out. The bowl also has scattered discrete spots of corrosion. Are these casting flaws, or just what you should expect even at 3 months?

Of more concern (I believe) is the bright blue-green corrosion which has already developed all the way around the intake port. The visible margin where the adapter enters the port is actually bright lime green. Does this suggest incompatability between the strainer casting and the pipe-to-hose adapter, even though they were purchased as a unit from the same manufacturer?

I have not yet tried to polish any of the discoloration out pending advice from B-A. I have reported the matter to B-A and they have their engineering department looking into it. I am interested in the views and experiences of the CF community so that I am better prepared for B-A's response.

I do realize that I've secured the mounting feet with stainless fasteners -- I'll back those out and coat the interface with Duralac.

This yacht is a non-bonded design. The original stainless steel strainer was in service for 28 years, in this same location, without any corrosion or similar problem, even along welded seams. The thru-hull/seacock is the Forespar OEM design made of Marelon. We have no electrolysis issues anywhere on the boat -- prop shaft, zinc, SS folding prop all in excellent condition. We are in Malaysia, now at Pulau Tioman with clear, clean waters at 29F.

Your helpful feedback is appreciated,
Laura
s/y ZEN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150617_135419.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	103897  
Alii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 22:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Bright blue-lime green bronze corrosion at 3 months

I have 2 B/A strainers on my generator engines. They're both covered with green patina and probably have been for 40 years. In my experience (about 60 years on the water) bronze/brass will turn green from salt water left to dry on it's surface. It doesn't hurt the strainers function.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion