Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2010, 21:13   #1

Adler Barbour - Supercold Machine

Hi there,
two years ago I installed an Alder Babour Supercold Machine with the large vertical box evaporator in my newly build box. 2'x2'x2' with 5 inch insulation. Works like a charm - runs about 5 minutes max per hour and keeps things frozen at the bottom.

The only thing that puzzles me is that I set the dial on max cold and well since it works that great and still runs so little, well, is there a way to tell the compresser 'run 10 minutes per hour instead of 5' and make it freaking cold ?

cheerio,
Olaf
p.s. was thinking about moving the temperature feeler away from the evaporator to make the unit think it has to go colder, but not sure if that might work.
sailingpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 21:19   #2

Yes, that would work. Or put a little insulation between the sensor and the evaporator.

I don't understand the logic of the designers. The sensor and control should, in my opinion, be where the food is. Not on the evaporator. My control here is on ZERO to keep everything from freezing solid. Sensor is on the holding plate...nutty...
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 21:40   #3

Boat: S2 35c
There are thermostats calibrated for refrigeration or for a freezer. The stock one is for refrigeration . You can swap out the thermostat or recalibrate it , When you take the controller apart you will find a calibration screw in the internal mechanism . Off the top of my head I think counter clockwise will go to colder temps. On mine I thing I did three turns and now very cold is about at the 7 o'clock position , Everything freezes.
Maggie-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 06:13   #4

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
On our Danfoss evaporator installation, I wrapped a about 4mm of cheap insulation around the outside of the evaporator box. This keeps everything INside the evaporator frozen hard, while still keeping the vegetables in the main box just cold, not frozen.

Some notes on converting our box from engine driven to 12v can be found here.