Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2015, 18:20   #1

Boat: Pearson 365
A/C Refrigeration

We are now looking for a 38'-43' sail boat and have found a middle of the road boat that we both can agree on (the Admiral and myself) but it has as A/C refrig and freezer. I noticed lots of boats for sale have the engine driven compressors as well. I'm shocked that sailors have such units requiring the engine to be ran or the use of their genset. The boat in question here is a 43' Irwin. I fully understand the benefits as well as the drawbacks of the Irwin. I dont want to start a "Boat drama war". I had a friend who had a rather large refrig that was 12v and worked great. Thats what I'm looking for as well. We would like to do some long range island hopping without running the genset so many hours per day. The owner didnt know how many hours was needed to run the genset to keep food cold or frozen. It would be much better to have a solar/wind running a 12v cold plate. The unit in the Irwin is a Sea Frost and the doors to the refer are very thick (maybe 6"). I'm sure it works great in the marina though. So both units, refer and freezer are very large and work off the same compressor and water pump">RAW water pump (just like the cruise airs). How difficult and at what cost would I be planning for changing the systems to 12v? Thanks for the help.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigeration