Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2021, 09:16   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 50 DS
ZF dock and go problem?

Hello I'm new here so you might have heard this one before. We just taken possession of a used Jeanneau so 50 ds with the zf 360 dock and go system. It works well and is surprising after years with a normal set up (bow thruster and propellor).
However when we are sailing under sail only the propellor turns and I guess half the engine as well. It is quite noisy (almost as if the engine is on) and the hole ship vibrates. The system was just serviced. Is there some setting we haven't discovered or is this normal (can't be) ?
Jenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 17:25   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: ZF dock and go problem?

Welcome to the forum. I know on my Hallberg Rassy 35, I use to put it in reverse while sailing.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 09:09   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

This is a real problem. The propeller has become an impeller, and it is eating its way into your sailing performance. You do want to stop the rotation. The common tool is a shaft lock. It prevents the shaft turning if putting it in gear is not enough to overcome the impeller effect. There are various designs; here is one:

SHAFT LOK INC.

How many blades on your prop? Ideally, minimize the exposure of blades to the flow of water by hiding one blade behind the keel. That minimizes drag. You can mark the propeller shaft inside your boat to get the shaft in the right position.

You would not be the first if you simply grabbed the shaft with a ViseGrip, but then, you also would not be the first to permanently score your shaft.
Old 25-05-2021, 05:01   #4

You aren’t the first to find that a saildrive prop free spinning under sail introduces noise and vibration throughout the boat, and locking the prop by putting the drive in reverse is less than satisfactory from a sailing performance standpoint.

Probably the most satisfactory results will be obtained by installing a folding or feathering prop on the saildrive.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2021, 05:09   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I'm with DougR - the simple, elegant solution is a feathering prop. Lower drag (think a full knot in lighter airs) and no rotation. May I recommend MaxProp as a high-quality solution?

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 08:12   #6

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 50 DS

Thanks - we had a Flexofold installed solved that problem.
A new issue: the dock and go suddenly cuts out. The system when engaged takes over complete control and you only have to manipulate the joystick. However when it cuts out there is no way of putting the engine into gear/reverse. The engine keeps running at idle and the gas handle does not give any response. I have succesfully shut down the engine and cut the current to the system, and then restarted, and the system is back up, but during manouvers its unsafe and unreliable.
any suggestions on how to solve this ? I think its a wonderful system when it works, but when it suddenly cuts out I wish for my old fashioned cable controlled system.
Jenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 10:25   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Let's hear it for simplicity. First you become dependent on the fancy technology, and then it fails.

OK, that's electrical. It could be bunches of places, but since it appears that the "brain" is working but not controlling the engine or the drive, I'd look first at all the connections between the contoller and the props. If all those connections are good and the problem is still there, it's time for tech help from the company.

Tags
dock