Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2022, 16:31   #1

Boat: Hudson Force 50, 51'
which packing gland--spud or bolt?

Hi all,

Any input on which style packing gland is more better? Im replacing the POS dripless with good old fashioned packing style. im looking at the buck Algonquin and the two styles are 2 bolts tightening against the gland, or the big "spud" spin on type. Any good advice based on experience I would greatly appreciate.
thanks again
captianjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 17:34   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: which packing gland--spud or bolt?

I’ve never has a problem with my PSS dripless shaft seal nor have I ever had a problem with a Spartan stuffing box. Both are excellent in my opinion.

https://www.spartanmarine.com/stuffing-boxes

PYI Inc. | PSS Shaft Seal
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 20:39   #3

Boat: Hudson Force 50, 51'

thanks bud. im not into the dripless due to problems in the past. the thing im asking about is the two different sorts of packing glands, the large packing nut or the sort with two bolts clamping on opposite sides.
captianjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 07:03   #4

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Never seen any difference. We Tef-Gel the threads and use the Teflon packing but on our boat we have a Last Drop face seal which we love.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 14:50   #5

I'll offer an opinion, I prefer the two-bolt style in most cases. Frequently find that getting a large enough wrench in position, and then having decent throw, makes using the spud style difficult. If you have plenty of room then maybe it doesn't matter, but I never seem to have enough room.

With the two-bolt style you are frequently dealing with dissimilar metals, some good anti-seize or other corrosion fighting techniques are a necessity. I think Buck does this right and uses bronze bolts, but definitely something to look at otherwise.

I also find it easier to extract used packing in the two-bolt style, with the spud style you have to pull the packing out of the annulus and the threads on the nut hamper that effort. The smooth bore of the two-bolt makes this easier, and I generally find better access in that direction. Plus the stern tube holds the thing still, rather than trying to use your third hand to hold the nut still.

Another plus for the gland style, when you loosen everything up the packing it still sealing the shaft. You can even re-pack leaving the first ring in the gland, which means get almost no water if you are re-doing the packing while in the water.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 17:14   #6

The big nut style requires a big wrench, which makes over tightening a very real possibility.
The two stud type is much easier to draw up gradually, a short end wrench is much less likely to overtighten the gland.
That said, you must take care to keep the face perpendicular to the shaft, draw the bolts evenly.
I also agree that the simplicity and reliability of a traditional packing gland is ideal for anyone who travels off the beaten paths, and must rely on their own ingenuity to get home safe!
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 07:40   #7

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

With smaller shafts, if the packing is in decent shape, it doesn't take much torque to affect a reasonable seal on the "screw on" type glands.
You can take 1/4>3/8ths aluminum and cut-out a pair of wrenches using a bandsaw, some clean-up work with a file.
Short handles, (perhaps ~7>8",) light, easy to hold/use, works like a charm.
You can "build in" the offset of the head for best use in a tight location.
Old 24-07-2022, 07:44   #8

I tend to like the simplicity of the spud, I'm not sure why though. I will say, in cramped quarters, the one with the flange and a nut either side to adjust is easier because the spud type require the terrible special wrench and you have no room to turn much at all too often. So you turn 1/8-1/4 turn at a time.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 10:29   #9

Boat: csy 37

our wilcox spud style stuffing box was 30+ years old and all bronze. never a bit of trouble. there was a little access problem but wiith a bit of cursing and struggling i was able to check it and maintain it. i would recommend all bronze - including bolts. i made up a pair of wrenches from sink drain wrenches that fit well and made the job easier.
never liked the pss style. too many 'parts' and rubber hose.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 22:20   #10

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post
I'll offer an opinion, I prefer the two-bolt style in most cases. Frequently find that getting a large enough wrench in position, and then having decent throw, makes using the spud style difficult. If you have plenty of room then maybe it doesn't matter, but I never seem to have enough room.

With the two-bolt style you are frequently dealing with dissimilar metals, some good anti-seize or other corrosion fighting techniques are a necessity. I think Buck does this right and uses bronze bolts, but definitely something to look at otherwise.

I also find it easier to extract used packing in the two-bolt style, with the spud style you have to pull the packing out of the annulus and the threads on the nut hamper that effort. The smooth bore of the two-bolt makes this easier, and I generally find better access in that direction. Plus the stern tube holds the thing still, rather than trying to use your third hand to hold the nut still.

Another plus for the gland style, when you loosen everything up the packing it still sealing the shaft. You can even re-pack leaving the first ring in the gland, which means get almost no water if you are re-doing the packing while in the water.
+1 agree with this comment 100%

Adding that the shaft log hose is much more robust and will withstand a much higher load and wouldn't tear like the flimsy compression bellows on PSS.
I am not impressed by those "dripless" set ups.
I think the packing are easier to change in the bolt type gland, as well.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
packing gland