Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2018, 23:33   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Sheared prop shaft coupling bolt

A64 hit it in his first post: with a 4 bolt coupler, you can not shear one bolt without shearing the other three as well. Without inspecting the failed bolt it is pretty hard to determine cause of failure, but shearing it wasn't!

Jim
Old 24-08-2018, 04:56   #17

Post a picture of the bolt face where the failure occurred, a close up macro, and I can very likely tell you how it failed. Was it broken at a thread? If it failed in sideways shear the surface will have been smeared sideways. If it was over torqued it will have a rough but uniform "pullout" surface. If it failed due to cyclic fatigue it will have broken at a thread and will have "beach marks" starting on one side and look like sand ripples across the face.

If your coupling is out of alignment the bolt is being flexed each revolution and one of four bolts could go before the others, due to manufacturing or material variation. All 4 (3 now) should be replaced as mentioned.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 05:13   #18

Boat: Island Packet 38

When replacing the bolts, check coupler alignment and run out. The engine may be misaligned and/or the coupler may be worn. Also check the cutlass bearing for wear.
jkishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 23:40   #19

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

If the majority of couplings are located in as awkward a spot as mine, I would seriously question if the bolts were ever properly "torqued" as in with a Torque Wrench. More than likely, they were tightened with a combination wrench of unknown length and maybe even added torque by using some form of extension "just to make sure they're tight" … I agree with whoever said the bolt was broken due to "over torque" and most likely this happened the day it was installed, but went un-noticed … I know I couldn't get a torque wrench in my shaft bolts, I don't know about you folk, maybe your couplings are more accessible.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote