Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: how to split prop shaft coupling on chris craft
advise on correct proceedure 0 0%
advise on does and don'ts 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2015, 19:03   #1

Boat: chris craft 55' constelation
How to split prop shaft coupling on chris craft

Hi Guys and gals,

My first post.

Imported a lovely 55' Chris Craft Constellation from Seattle into Perth Australia, which was a story unto itself.

When money allows, I have gradually been doing upgrades, especially with decking and externals to meet some of our very harsh climate extremes. HAve nearly got that under control but still getting water in from above. Where does that bloody water come from??!!

Recently slipped and anti fouled and was most impressed that the bilge pumps weren't going off all the time once we had her back in the water. But, after a celebratory couple of beers, they wouldn't stop!!

Finally found the hole - right above where the prop shaft enters through the hull. A hole as big as my little finger was creating the Trevi Fountain on the starboard side!!

Re slipped and to make proper repairs had to remove the split prop shaft. Problem. It has a coupling as a joiner and after removing all anti foul, expected to see Allen keys or bolts as joiners for the two shafts. Not so.
It looks like it has caps on either end which need to be removed to get to internals and that looks like 'cold chisel country' which, as I live in the most isolated city in the world, getting replacements was a little daunting!

So, we gunked and refloated boat which seems fine. However, I know I will have to do the correct job at a later date so can any one advise as to how we go about removing this coupling - hopefully without damaging it beyond repair.

All the best and yes -- now you have taken a look - Perth is the city on the south west coast of Australia!

Cheers

Gbmacca
gbmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 20:16   #2

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755
re: How to split prop shaft coupling on chris craft

Pictures might be helpful.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.travellingwithgeorge.blogspot.com
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 03:57   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
re: How to split prop shaft coupling on chris craft

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gbmacca.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote