Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-06-2013, 16:33   #1

Boat: Catana 431
Saildrive Stuck in reverse

Hello,
I have a Volvo MS25S saildrive (Volvo md2040 engine), and it is now stuck in reverse -- so I'm looking for ideas on how to fix it.
I'm in a pretty remote location in Fiji so access to a mechanic is unlikely at the moment. Though I can get to one before too long if necessary. (I've looked at the other couple of similar threads, but they pertained to a yanmar, and so far haven't been helpful).

I shifted into reverse rather quickly yesterday in order to try to avoid a mostly submerged buoy. The engine quit, and the transmission is stuck in reverse.
I've tried diving and working the prop back and forth, but I can't really budge it.
I've tried starting the engine even though it is stuck in gear, but the engine won't start.

Any ideas? I'm guessing I need to start taking things apart, but could use any ideas/guidance available. I'm mechanical, but haven't ever taken a transmission apart. I do have the manual and schematics on board.

Thanks,
Arthur
hoaga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saildrive