Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2009, 22:44   #1
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
PPS Seal Water Connection?

What is the correct method of plumbing water to the PPS seal? I am assuming it is a water connection as the ever intelligent local boat folk tell it is rather than say a vent line.

It has been too many years since I last had to plumb a drip-less seal and I can't remember exactly how I did it (oe even if I did it correctly at the time ).

Do I just take a hose from the engine seacock (before the water pump) or after the water pump but before the engine cooling system or some other way.

And what sort of hose should be used as the barb on the PPS seal seems to be 10 mm (3/8") and this appears an uncommon size in my area unless I just use a cheap PVC hose (). currently I have a piece of 8 mm (5/16") fuel line pushed as a temporary measure until I get is sorted.

Also does anyone actually put a ball-valve or similar in the line as essentially it is an underwater thru-hull. I was thinking of a short piece of hose from the barb on the seal to a small ball-valve and then to the water supply but I can't say I have ever seen such an arrangement.

The engine is a Yanmar 2GM20 raw water cooled and everything is below the water line.

Thanks in advance.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 04:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The PSS Installation Instructions specify 8 ➛ 9 mm (3/8") ∅ “Underwater” hose, for venting slower (< 12 kt) shaft seals.

See ➥ http://www.spursmarine.com/Images/pd...structions.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 04:52   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
PSS not PPS !!

Yes thanks Gord, I had just found it when I googled PSS shaft seals rather than PPS shaft seals .
It all comes flooding back - no pun intended.

What a difference one letter makes.

Dyslexia rules KO.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 07:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
... What a difference one letter makes.
Dyslexia rules KO.
I used to be dyslexic by I’m KO, now that I joined that new group, Mothers Against Dyslexia, otherwise known as “DAM”.

Every time I tell a dyslexia joke, Maggie asks me, "What are you going to do when the dyslexics start to portest?," to which I respond "What are they gonna do? Send me heat mail?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 08:50   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The tubes to my PSS shaft seals comes from the pressure side of my engines raw water cooling system. The purpose is not so much to serve as a vent but to provide oxygenated water which discourages the stainless from going active.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 19:59   #6

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Gord I'm dyslexic and you are just going to have to put up with my spelling as punishment. Hell I can't even get the spelling check to load and work.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seals