Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2023, 07:18   #1

Mercury 9.9 hp 4 stroke outboard

Hello

I am at George Town in the Bahamas.

I have limited knowledge of outboards as this is my first one. Also first time cruiser to Bahamas.

It is certainly an adventure.

My Mercury outboard has slowed down significantly. It will only go slow. When increasing the rpm it does not go any faster. just rev's high, no faster.

When it happened getting back to the boat took a while but it did not fail altogether. It still just goes slow.

My initial research says a spun hub. I have been looking for a plastic sleeve thinking thats what i need but Mercury parts diagrams dont show this. I could be wrong about this.

So first question is what part do i need?

Second is this a diy job?

Third any place in George Town that may repair this or have parts?

My thinking is i may have to wait til i reach Dominican to get parts. Order now and when i get there its ready for pu.
doprin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 07:21   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Mercury 9.9 hp 4 stroke outboard

I don't think the hub is separately replaceable on those props, so you'll likely need to replace the whole prop. It's also a good idea to have a spare prop for a dinghy outboard (can stay on the mothership) so if something like a spun hub or damaged prop happens, you can just swap it out in a few minutes and be back in business.

To confirm a spun hub on the prop, mark the end of the shaft as well as the prop with something, then run the outboard and see if the marks move relative to each other. If they do, the hub is spun.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 07:23   #3

I have had lots of outboards, and assuming you do not have any foreign objects wrapped around the prop, yes spun hub is most likely.

I have always brought such issues to a prop shop to replace the hub. I don't know of anyone doing their own DIY. However, some on here with more knowledge about this, especially given your location, may have info on the diy approach.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 19:43   #4

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

I don't think any of the smaller outboards have replaceable hubs, I suspect you will have to get a new prop.
In a pinch I have drilled and tapped a small bolt through the prop, rubber hub, and shaft sleeve till I could get a new prop.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 20:34   #5

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

If they are still there try Browns Marine just South of Georgetown, I have got outboard spares from there before (Tohatsu) but I think they are same motor.

You can anchor in Crab Cay and dinghy in to their marina or catch a taxi from GT.

Also some other cruisers may have a spare call out on the net.

If a spun hub.
Last straw if it was me and no way to get a replacement drill 3 holes in the prop hub and tap 3 screws into the rubber and maybe slightly in to the metal bush as a an emergency fix. Don't run it aground as any prop strike may damage the shaft/gears.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 14:55   #6

Thinking again about the wording of the problem, could it just be a shear pin that was busted? Not familiar with that model. If so, easy fix. Very unlikely though, he said it still runs, just slowly. I don't see how that could happen with a sheared pin.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4 stroke, mercury, outboard