Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2023, 17:08   #1

MaxProp 4 Bladed with Volvo 120SE - Trouble with Feathering

We recently installed new MaxProp 4 blades onto our Volvo 120SE saildrive.
We have noticed that we can get the prop to feather by putting into Reverse and leaving it there. All good. Then when sailing in big seas >6’ offshore the prop seems to get itself into a state where it seems like it is open and dragging.

We have note been able to confirm this with a camera yet but working on it.
We notice a big difference in speed once in this situation and if we then get out of reverse(Not easy) and the prop freewheels and we then feather it again, our normal speeds return and all is well for a while !

Has anyone else experienced this and know how to avoid or why it might be happening.

Also why does it almost lock the gear shift from easily going back into neutral.

Regards
Chris - SC BEDOUIN 43’ Cat (Perry)
SVCmhbedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2023, 22:10   #2

Boat: Privilege 435
Re: MaxProp 4 Bladed with Volvo 120SE - Trouble with Feathering

We used to have Volvo 130s sail drives, so I assume it should be similar? We had no trouble getting the max props to feather by just killing the engine in forward gear.

However, on our new beta engines with seaprop 60 sail drives, I think I'm noticing the same behavior that you are. I have to shift to reverse each time to get them to feather. Then I'll notice a speed drop at some point with a following sea, and have to actually start the engine and start the process again to re-feather.

I happened to be googling solutions to this very issue, and I found some suggestions to move back into neutral or forward after feathering in reverse, checking to ensure that there was no freewheeling.

I'm going to give that a shot.
Old 01-03-2023, 04:33   #3

Oh this is amazing. We need to share notes. We also have a Beta engine.
I was going to try the exact thing you suggest. Will share findings.
Old 01-03-2023, 11:36   #4

We managed to video ours today when we switched off in fwd and then shifted to neutral. Prop stops turning and feathers for less than 1 second and then puts itself into reverse mode and spins the other way (reverse). Hence putting gear into reverse would lock it in this position. Working with MaxProp to try and solve why this is happening to us.
Old 01-03-2023, 12:18   #5

See video on Facebook group Catamaran Sailing Group under catamaran bedouin
Old 04-03-2023, 04:55   #6

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCmhbedouin View Post
We managed to video ours today when we switched off in fwd and then shifted to neutral. Prop stops turning and feathers for less than 1 second and then puts itself into reverse mode and spins the other way (reverse). Hence putting gear into reverse would lock it in this position. Working with MaxProp to try and solve why this is happening to us.
Bedouin,

Can you confirm that you are seeing the prop turning while the engine is off and in reverse gear, not neutral? This is very interesting. We had a water ingress issue that is very difficult to understand and I'm wondering if that is what happened to us.

We normally shut down the engine in neutral, shift to reverse to feather the prop, then shift to neutral again. We sometimes have difficulty with the prop spinning up again and on one occurrence left the transmission in reverse for a full day while sailing at relatively high speeds (8-10 kts). I am wondering if the prop could have held enough pitch to very slowly turn the shaft and hence very slowly run the water pump">raw water pump. I did not believe this would happen but if it did it would explain our water ingress.

MaxProp 4 blade, Volvo D2-40 and shaft drive.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 14:20   #7

I’ve seen a few reports of Maxprops re engaging but this is the first 4 blade problem. Here’s the PYI instructions for the 3 blade classic and they do indeed support the engine flooding theory albeit at higher speeds than 10 knots. [ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3059.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	272412  
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 15:06   #8

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Skipper Pete

Thanks for posting that. That warning is not in some of the other MaxProp manuals and is very enlightening.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 20:58   #9

Tested today with a following sea. Quick slip into reverse to stop the freewheeling, then back into forward. Seems to work?

I don't have the underwater camera on a pole set up yet to see if it's actually working properly.
Old 01-04-2023, 18:41   #10

@SVCmhbedouin any response from maxprop?

Tags
MaxProp Feathering, volvo