Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2021, 09:20   #16

Boat: Jeanneau Attalia
Re: Flexofold 2 or 3 blade folding on oversized 50hp FP Lavezzi

I can’t say enough good things about
https://westbynorth.com/campbell-sailer/
Myself and a dock neighbour both changed to Campbell props and collectively, these were the benefits:
Better speed at same rpm
Eliminated vibration
Reduced drag while sailing (extra knot)
Better control in reverse
Good prices
Excellent communication and custom fitting
Fast delivery
It’s low tech, but totally reliable.
Phonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 09:46   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I have a FoF three blade and I love it. In general three blades tend to run more smoothly with less vibration and resulting wear on bearings and seals. Also I think less prop walk in reverse and more power in forward.

Unless the budget won't allow I would definitely go with the three bladec.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 15:37   #18

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Eg Volvo folding cannot be serviced under water.
Flexofold just the anode need to be changed, no greasing etc. like others.
I imagine it wouldn't be the easiest, but there is nothing that can't be done underwater on the Volvo folding three blade that needs doing on the hard. The main regular servicing they require is protection from marine growth anyway, so that usually necessitates haul out. My main bugbear with them is that the actual prop and hub assembly needs to be taken off to replace the sail-drive anode behind the hub at the bottom of the sail drive. It would have been nice if they had designed an anode in two parts to avoid that necessity. Just as they made the hub anode in three parts.

I think they are an exceptionally good piece of engineering otherwise.
Attached Images

Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 16:27   #19
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry1 View Post
My main bugbear with them is that the actual prop and hub assembly needs to be taken off to replace the sail-drive anode behind the hub at the bottom of the sail drive. It would have been nice if they had designed an anode in two parts to avoid that necessity. Just as they made the hub anode in three parts.
Not only does the prop not need to be removed to replace the saildrive leg anode, but the picture you included in your post depicts the 2-piece anode that makes that makes replacement without doing so possible.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 20:24   #20

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Hi all,

I am about to replace the fixed props on my FP Lavezzi cat.

Will go for flexofold
- reputation and trouble free
- can be serviced underwater (have coppercoat and saildrive oil-change from on top), no yearly haul out needed
- Price: 2 Blade 19x14 2500 , 3 blade 18x13 3500euro

I am only changing to folding because I have oversized 50hp engines and the corresponding 17x15 fixed 3 blade props (instead 13x11) cost me minimum 2 kn when sailing due to huge drag. I wanna optimize sailing, former owner motoring

Due to price plus replacement parts eg if loosing/damaging a blade and budget I would choose the 2 blade but don‘t know if I regret not to choose the 3-blade and spend 1200Euros more. I am on budget ( have around 10 other things with 1000-2000 more or not so the small stuff counts to 20k additional or not) but will have 1200 more when it’s a big difference.
Flexofold says and recommends the 3 blade as it has more bite and power but I already have more then enough power, so loosing a bit I don‘t care at all.

Is gearing correct: I have now 17x15 3 blade fixed which fits well and flexofold suggest only a 13 pitch in 18x13

Background
I have overpowered new 2x D2-50 in my FP Lavezzi (normally 2x20, upgraded 2x30) and have fixed 3 blade 17x15 propellers. Done by former owners who were motor boaters whose focus was motoring and having some sails when perfect condition for sailing…well I am the opposite…Gearing fits well and I do 13kn with both engines going 2800rpm. But tick tick with 800 is 3-4kn so maneuvering in tight spots is tricky.

But the 17x15 fixed costs me min. 2kn so I wanna change to folding or feathering…
Feathering would be actually the better option due to variable pitch I was told to get most out of the engine plus less drag but I cannot find reliable feathering for a price below 5000Euro for 2 props plus yearly service and that’s not worth it for me.
Similar to ourselves, except you have an extra hull .
We also have Coppercoat (saved us heaps) and a three-blade Flexofold (you are correct - no lubrication specified, no bearings, no seals - so you don't need to lift to service).

We find it very smooth, and no noticeable prop-walk.
If it was me, I would spend the extra.

You will need to assemble, and the assembly is quite straight forward.
Do you have saildrives or shaft on your cat?
If sail, then you should be able (if not already there) to get split anode kits.
FWIW, here is the assembly of a saildrive version. Note I do lubricate when I get the chance, but Flexofold do not require it.

The Flexofold - apart from being at the top of the performance chart, is a very nicely engineered unit. Elegant in its' simplicity.

https://youtu.be/fConQRkPfMM
Old 21-12-2021, 01:04   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Hi all,

I am about to replace the fixed props on my FP Lavezzi cat.

Will go for flexofold
- reputation and trouble free
- can be serviced underwater (have coppercoat and saildrive oil-change from on top), no yearly haul out needed
- Price: 2 Blade 19x14 2500 , 3 blade 18x13 3500euro

Gori, 3-blade 20 x 13 x 3 2.895,00 with 25% tax

Gori, 2 blade 18 x 14 x 2 LHS 1.085,00 with 25% tax
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 06:42   #22

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

What no takers for a feathering prop?? The aperture on my Bristol is not large enough for a folding prop so went with a feathering, Variprop. My displacement is approx 16,000 lbs with a westerbeke w30, so 25 hp. Figured if 3 blade is good, 4 must be better. So have a 14 inch, 4 blade. Gorgeous piece of machinery, but I cant install it without either, dropping the rudder or removing & shortening the shaft (I obviously didn't ask the correct question)...now my Spring, 2022 project....no comments needed just a point of information...don't want to mis-direct the thread..thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 09:09   #23

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler

I get the point of view that you are over-powered at 50hp so may not need the 3rd blade. Seems to me, however, that it will cost more over time to run around "spinning your wheels" - to make the same SOG you'll be using more throttle / fuel / wear with a 2-blade vs the 3. Throw in the Oh S**t moments when you need full backing power and I would be partial to the 3-blade solution.

FWIW we replaced a pair of Autoprops that had been severely neglected with the 3-blade FlexOFolds on our Manta 42. FoF was impressive for its quality and ease of installation & maintenance. I also liked the anode 'cap' setup. That said we did lose about 1 knot fwd speed as compared to the Autoprop. Backing performance was much improved with the FoF.
Old 21-12-2021, 15:31   #24

Boat: Dean 44

I was down in Panama and lost one Flex o Fold prop. I had a spare set of two blade props. I tried using a two blade and a three blade. The three blade way out pulls the two blade. The Flex O Fold is stamped 17 13 it is in very good shape and I would sell it for $1400. It was used with a Sail Drive with a 1 1/8 shaft. If interested I will go thru my papers and see what Sail Drive it was.
CaroleAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 10:04   #25

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
Gori, 3-blade 20 x 13 x 3 2.895,00 with 25% tax

Gori, 2 blade 18 x 14 x 2 LHS 1.085,00 with 25% tax
My price are for 2 props 5800 for 3, 2200 for 2 blade...
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 13:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
I have 2 qty. 3 blade 17" Max-props Classics if interested.
Interested, wrote you a PN
Old 24-12-2021, 13:55   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bieg View Post
I was down in Panama and lost one Flex o Fold prop. I had a spare set of two blade props. I tried using a two blade and a three blade. The three blade way out pulls the two blade. The Flex O Fold is stamped 17 13 it is in very good shape and I would sell it for $1400. It was used with a Sail Drive with a 1 1/8 shaft. If interested I will go thru my papers and see what Sail Drive it was.
Sadly I need an 18x13
Old 24-12-2021, 14:02   #28
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bieg View Post
It was used with a Sail Drive with a 1 1/8 shaft. If interested I will go thru my papers and see what Sail Drive it was.
The splined shafts on saildrives are universal in size. They do not vary from one manufacturer to another.
Old 24-12-2021, 14:52   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Similar to ourselves, except you have an extra hull .
We also have Coppercoat (saved us heaps) and a three-blade Flexofold (you are correct - no lubrication specified, no bearings, no seals - so you don't need to lift to service).

We find it very smooth, and no noticeable prop-walk.
If it was me, I would spend the extra.

You will need to assemble, and the assembly is quite straight forward.
Do you have saildrives or shaft on your cat?
If sail, then you should be able (if not already there) to get split anode kits.
FWIW, here is the assembly of a saildrive version. Note I do lubricate when I get the chance, but Flexofold do not require it.

The Flexofold - apart from being at the top of the performance chart, is a very nicely engineered unit. Elegant in its' simplicity.

https://youtu.be/fConQRkPfMM
What Antifouling do you use on the saildrive and props, you cannot use Coopercoat there?

Thank you, i have the new Volvo 130S saildrives with split anodes and can service them from on top. allready exchanged anodes in water.

Cat is on the dry dock for the next 3 month now to repair the damage from a 8m rogue wave, so assembly of whatever I will finally buy is easy.
Old 24-12-2021, 14:58   #30
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
What Antifouling do you use on the saildrive and props, you cannot use Coopercoat there?
Coppercoat can be applied to properly primed aluminum. Not that it will be any more effective there than it is anywhere else.

Tags
3 blade, Lavezzi, size