Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2024, 09:44   #46

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Change a Dripless Shaft Seal while in the Water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram View Post
Apologies, can't delete.... my browser was only showing page 1 and not 2/3..... great work! I feel a little more comfortable doing mine, although I might use a tidal grid (which turns into a 16 hr day.....)
It was less of a problem than i feared. But- makesure you have planned every step and make sure you have laid out every tool you will need

One unexpected issue was that after i removed the coupling i could not push the shaft back. I thought perhaps it was a zinc hitting the cutlass bearing strut. Turned out it was brnacles on the shaft. I had to dive and clean the shaft. Then itslid backwards without an issue
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2024, 13:00   #47
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
It was less of a problem than i feared. But- makesure you have planned every step and make sure you have laid out every tool you will need

One unexpected issue was that after i removed the coupling i could not push the shaft back. I thought perhaps it was a zinc hitting the cutlass bearing strut. Turned out it was brnacles on the shaft. I had to dive and clean the shaft. Then itslid backwards without an issue
I can’t watch the video (on a ship eight now…) … did you apply the bubble wrap from the inside or underwater? When you slide the shaft back and forth, did it stay in place?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2024, 13:14   #48

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I can’t watch the video (on a ship eight now…) … did you apply the bubble wrap from the inside or underwater? When you slide the shaft back and forth, did it stay in place?
I dove under the boat and stuffed from the outside

I slid the shaft bak before stuffing the bubble in. When i had the new seal on. I dove and removed the bubble. Then i slid the shaft forward
Old 13-04-2024, 15:54   #49

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Mark

Volvo expressly says to grease the seal. Indeed the instructions say to regrease every couple of hundred hours.

I don’t claim to knowmuch about interaction of grease and rubber ( is it npr or some other type of rubber?). But if volvo says grease then i guess it it better to grease

Did Volvo specify what kind of grease? Silicon or oil base?

It might just be a way to keep customers buying more seals.
Job security for Volvo.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 00:38   #50

Boat: Westerly Renown

I've done it twice over the years, last time only two years ago ( I forgot it before launch and it started p-ing in a week later )
Mine is difficult access, head first down a hatch in the cockpit sole, max arm's reach.
Mine is a split type coupling so comes off OK.
Get everything ready, slide the shaft back just enough, most boats have enough space before it hits the rudder.

Volvo seal.
25mm shaft.
Maybe 5 litres of water came in while I did it.
To make sure the seal is nicely seated on the tube I used an action cam on a stick. Very clear picture on your phone that way.
Have fun !
stuartb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 02:38   #51

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

Job security for Volvo.
Volvo provide a little tube of 'lube' with each new seal. Not sure what it is but it isn't bog standard 'grease'.

Other issue is remembering to 'burp' it when splashing your boat after time on the hard so that it stays water lubricated.
Old 14-04-2024, 09:51   #52

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Volvo provide a little tube of 'lube' with each new seal. Not sure what it is but it isn't bog standard 'grease'.

Other issue is remembering to 'burp' it when splashing your boat after time on the hard so that it stays water lubricated.

Good to hear they do that.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 10:57   #53

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Yes, those sachets from Volvo are glycerine, which is non-petroluem based. Petroleum based greases, including vaseline, should never be used with rubber components.
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 12:02   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

Job security for Volvo.
Running short of VP blue grease, I tried a tube of white Castrol grease I had on board. Within a week of use the seal was leaking but when motoring. When speaking with an old Shipwright and telling him of my problem whilst showing him the seal, he spotted the problem straight away, wrong grease. Cleaned it all out of the seal, refitted with a sugar cube of VP grease and it stopped leaking. Whilst its not cheap, the time taken to fix it again if it leaks means I now use the genuine stuff.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 15:24   #55

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I would like to know why cruisers are changing from a heavily built stern tube with many many layers of rubber which hardly ever fails even after 12 years, to a thin rubber bellows on a "dripless shaft seal" which seems to fail frequently and at the most inopportune times. If I had such an emergency failure it would not be at all easy to fix in the best of situations, let alone on the high seas.

I can barely get over the top of the engine, fortunately I have both arms available, but restricted, and I can reach the shaft. My bone structure is compressed by the engine in certain places and if I were claustrophobic I wouldn't be able to do this. It is uncomfortable for long periods and it takes a little while to get into position. It would be impossible with a hot engine.

There must be some reason for people switching to this "dripless shaft seal" is it just that it does not need adjustment from time to time?

I am in the middle of changing my shaft bearing. Just put it in the freezer overnight and then forced it in with 3/8" threaded rod and lots of big washers and two 3/8" couplings (1.5") long for nuts. Now the next decision is to keep what I have for a stuffing box (it still looks pretty good) or go purchase a PSS for $320. Now there should be a damn good reason if I am going to part with that money. Which one is safer? Which one is less prone to catastrophic failure? Which one is easier to fix?

I also expect that a brand new multilayer rubber 5" x 2" stern hose is going to cost a whole lot less if I need it and it would be available almost everywhere. I could clean up the stuffing box theads and redo with teflon again, and that lanacote keeps it nice and clean but sticky.

I guess I just talked my way out of a new PSS.

BTW I did put a PSS on my rudder shaft, but that is a different situation
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 15:56   #56

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
I dove under the boat and stuffed from the outside

I slid the shaft bak before stuffing the bubble in. When i had the new seal on. I dove and removed the bubble. Then i slid the shaft forward
Carsten, I am guessing that a big dollop of toilet ring wax would also have worked in this situation?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 16:13   #57

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Carsten, I am guessing that a big dollop of toilet ring wax would also have worked in this situation?
Probably. But tje bubble wrap was easier to remove
Old 14-04-2024, 17:18   #58

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
There must be some reason for people switching to this "dripless shaft seal" is it just that it does not need adjustment from time to time?
That is it. It doesn't drip. It doesn't need adjustment.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 17:51   #59

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
That is it. It doesn't drip. It doesn't need adjustment.
Thank you Statistical for your answer. Do you have any idea how long the thinner and more fragile bellows fails and what causes the failure generally?

How likely is it that the bellows would last 10 years? The information PSS has states 6 years maximum which would be a PITA to change that frequently.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 18:52   #60

Quote:
The damned thing leaked just as much when we were under sail as under engine - so the only thing we could do was march on as fast as we could.
Been there, had same experience, although in the USA. Glad it worked out for you!

Tags
shaft seal, water