Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 07:19   #376

Boat: Valiant 50
Re: Autoprop ?

Thanks for the great review, Dockhead

Ecowind?? First I've even heard of this one and it promises the same performance increases as the Autoprop delivers.

I've just tried searching for reviews and opinions on the Ecowind, despite being on the market for 2 years now, there seems to be only one or two who have commented on it with first hand experience. Hey ho.. more Googling required.
Old 31-01-2013, 06:38   #377

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

By the way:

One thing very much worth doing for all propellers which have moving parts, is to send them back to the manufacturer for inspection on a regular basis.

I sent mine to Brunton's a few weeks ago. They took it apart, cleaned it, replaced all the bearings and seals, checked everything for wear, recut the blades where there were nicks, then rebalanced the whole thing. Fitted a new anode. All this for 290 pounds, or less than $500. So now it's good as new again and I don't need to worry about the bearings etc.

My father has a Brunton prop (the old kind with the water lubricated bearings) and he doesn't bother. It's been in the water continuously for 15 years and he never does anything but change the anodes sporadically (by diving; he almost never hauls his boat). Has worked perfectly for 15 years and thousands of hours.

But a mission-critical part like this, which is also a safety-critical part, with moving and wearing components, should be regularly serviced IMHO.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 06:41   #378

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
Thanks for the great review, Dockhead

Ecowind?? First I've even heard of this one and it promises the same performance increases as the Autoprop delivers.

I've just tried searching for reviews and opinions on the Ecowind, despite being on the market for 2 years now, there seems to be only one or two who have commented on it with first hand experience. Hey ho.. more Googling required.
The Ecowind looks very cool. I'm also looking forward to hearing more about people's real experiences, but I've never known anyone who fitted one.
Old 31-01-2013, 07:52   #379
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Mission-critical? Well, that's only the auxiliary engine, so perhaps not.

But if it were mission critical and you planned to send it home for re-education every year, you do have a spare prop of some kind aboard, yes?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:19   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
All this for 290 pounds, or less than $500.
Lucky you. Now add the freight from and to the other side of the world? With all the good words from you, they must have given you a special price.

Quote:
My father has a Brunton prop (the old kind with the water lubricated bearings) and he doesn't bother. It's been in the water continuously for 15 years and he never does anything but change the anodes sporadically (by diving; he almost never hauls his boat). Has worked perfectly for 15 years and thousands of hours.
Could you elaborate on the difference between the old kind and the new kind? It makes you wonder why a new kind is necessary if the old one is that reliable?
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:28   #381

Boat: Privilege 37

My autoprops are 6 years old.
They have a central rubber bush to absorb shock loading. The life span is aproximatly 6 years. The hub design has now been changed to allow a different design of rubber bush. The old bush can fail and leave you with no drive. When the new design fails it still leaves you with partial drive as the rubber tends to lock up inside the hub. The new rubber bearing are a series of pencilled shaped rubber sections placed length ways. You can update your hubs and bearings but it is not cheap.

And I have two of them!
Old 03-02-2013, 11:13   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
My autoprops are 6 years old.
They have a central rubber bush to absorb shock loading.

And I have two of them!
You must have a saildrive. There are no rubber bushes on a H5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H5Aprop.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	53990  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:55   #383

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
You must have a saildrive. There are no rubber bushes on a H5.
Yes. two of them.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:32   #384
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
It makes you wonder why a new kind is necessary if the old one is that reliable?
The old one aren't that reliable. That's why Brunton's had to redesign them.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 13:04   #385

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Could you elaborate on the difference between the old kind and the new kind? It makes you wonder why a new kind is necessary if the old one is that reliable?
Old kind had water-lubricated bearings. New kind you have to grease every time you haul out.

FastBottoms is confused about the design evolution of Bruntons. There was a run of props with bad locking washers which allowed a nut to back off and so a blade to be thrown. There was a recall for this. There is nothing wrong in principle with water lubricated bearings -- your cutless bearing is water lubricated, and it carries vastly more stress than the blade bearings of an Autoprop, which don't spin around continuously like a cutless bearing, but just turn a little to allow the blades to feather.

All good engineered products evolve with time, experience, etc. Would you ask -- "What was so wrong with the DC3, that they had to go an design the 707?" Or "What was so wrong with the E39 BMW, that they had to come up with the E60? Makes you wonder . . . " A really strange question, IMHO.

There are plenty of good props, for anyone who doesn't like, for any reason, the Autoprop. Bruntons don't even have a monopoly on self-pitching props since Maxprop came out with the Ecowind, which I bet is a really great prop. The biggest drawback of Autoprops is that they droop a blade when they are feathered, creating the highest drag when feathered of any feathering or folding prop. This the tradeoff for the ingenious simplicity which allows Autoprops to be made without any springs or gears at all. This tradeoff makes it a poor choice for racers, or for catamarans, probably. If the Ecowind doesn't suffer from this (and it has springs, so I bet it doesn't) I would consider switching myself, although on my particular boat, it is not all that noticeable.
Old 03-02-2013, 13:12   #386

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Mission-critical? Well, that's only the auxiliary engine, so perhaps not.

But if it were mission critical and you planned to send it home for re-education every year, you do have a spare prop of some kind aboard, yes?
My first two sailboats had no engines of any kind, so sailing onto and off a dock or a mooring is not an unfamiliar experience for me. Nevertheless, I would never want to be without engine power on my present boat, which weighs 25 tons. Losing mechanical propulsion would be a serious situation, like for many cruisers, and I would not put out to sea without working mechanical propulsion. The idea of "auxiliary" propulsion is a bit outdated, I think.

Therefore, of course I carry a spare prop, as everyone should who has feathering or folding props with moving -- read, breakable -- parts. I was sailing in the Windward Islands some years ago when my chartered catamaran threw the blade of one of its Flexofold props. Any feathering or folding prop can break.

I don't send my prop off for service every year. It would be pretty hard since I sail year round and don't usually haul out for more than an hour at a time. Every three to five years is enough. If you have a Maxprop, or Varifold, or other prop with moving -- read, breakable -- parts, I highly recommend the same regime.
Old 03-02-2013, 13:21   #387
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
FastBottoms is confused about the design evolution of Bruntons. There was a run of props with bad locking washers which allowed a nut to back off and so a blade to be thrown. There was a recall for this. There is nothing wrong in principle with water lubricated bearings -- your cutless bearing is water lubricated, and it carries vastly more stress than the blade bearings of an Autoprop, which don't spin around continuously like a cutless bearing, but just turn a little to allow the blades to feather.
No, FastBottoms is not confused about the design evolution of this prop and is here to tell you that the water-lubricated bearings in the Autoprop have nothing in common with water-lubricated cutless bearings, other than the fact that they are water lubricated. Cutless bearings have a close enough tolerance that fouling organisms cannot enter. The same cannot be said for the ridiculously wide-open bearing races on the Autoprop. And if you'd ever had to brace your feet on the underside of a boat and attempt to force a fouled Autoprop blade into motion, you'd understand what I'm talking about.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 20:53   #388

Quote:
There is nothing wrong in principle with water lubricated bearings -- your cutless bearing is water lubricated, and it carries vastly more stress than the blade bearings of an Autoprop, which don't spin around continuously like a cutless bearing, but just turn a little to allow the blades to feather.
I do not see it that way. The stress on a cutless bearing are small and mainly due to gravity (weight of the shaft, prop and accessory (shaft zinc, rope cutter, etc)), prop walk (lateral force), water turbulences. The main force of propelling forward or backward is taken by the engine, gearbox or a trust drive (aquadrive, etc) and their respective mounts and the prop. In a moveable blades prop configuration the main force of propelling forward or backward must also be carried by the blades bearings. In an Autoprop, the design must allow for the blades to turn freely under full load. For this to be achieved, it looks like that the designer decided to shoulder the Taper Roller Bearings (6) with a Thrust Race Bearing (9). It is possible that the use of grease is there to help prevent corrosion of the many parts of the prop, my guess. As for “continuous spin versus a little turn” see False brinelling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-02-2013, 01:34   #389

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I'll let you guys know how I like the Ecowind. I'm mounting one later this spring

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 01:41   #390

Boat: Custom 50' aluminum cruising cat

Hi I have autoprops on a SD50 drive on my cat. Recently one failed after less than 400 hours leaving that engine with no drive - the rubber insert failed. About a thousand dollars to repair from Brunton and they refused to answer any questions about the failure. Plus haulout, shipping and 6 weeks lost. Also the zinc anodes can fail quickly if the thin area around the screws dissolves. I am happy with the performance but my pal is a dealer for many props and says the Max props are much more reliable but not easy to get the pitch right. If another one fails I am taking them off and switching. Very disappointed....
Shamancat is offline   Reply With Quote