Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 13-11-2017, 00:24   #481

Re: Autoprop ?

after 3 months of testing, I feel satisfied with Autoprop. One problem: I hear a clonk every time I grab the gear, I've read that others have had this discomfort, but do not know the reason and especially if it can cause damage to the inverter. the cause can be due to the blades that are resting randomly so that when the gear engages, there is more resistance...
frankcilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 14:49   #482

Dare I continue this thread ? I have a Catalina 36 with an Autoprop for almost 18 years now - Very Satisfied with the Autoprop and have had no real problems with the "Nylon" Screws that hold the Autoprop zincs in (Though I do notice the obvious bendability/twist when screwing then in or out -- Always felt kind of cheesy.

Now I have a Jeanneau 43 DS with an Autoprop that came with the boat - So far it seems to be performing just as well as my other boat - But now the Autoprop zinc has wore down a bit and I have tried to tighten the screws underwater -- I can't -- They will not screw in nor out Not a single one of them- they just twist a little - I fear I am going to break them. I never installed any zincs on there since I have had the boat - The Diver did at one time. I am hauling the boat out in a month , I guess I'll deal with it then and add zincs to the shaft.

Not sure why they use the Nylon screws for the Zincs on the smaller H5 & H6 Autoprops but use what appears to be Stainless Steel screws on Larger Autoprop Zincs (see link below)

https://www.ab-marine.com/product/zi...prop-model-h9/
tsenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 15:09   #483

Boat: Privilege 37

Next time you install the zinc, put a drop of nail varnish around the screw area and it will prevent that area from being eaten, thus screws will not need tightening and anode will not fall of just because the screw area has been eaten.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:08   #484
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Isler’s diving used to make a neat bronze adapter that screwed in where the anode does, it allows the use of a normal prop “B” anode.
It is a great improvement over the autoprop anode.
You may can find one of those.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 22:46   #485

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Sadly, Isler's does not appear to have a web page, so one would have to call them they are still in business however and have multiple locations in Washington State so I suspect there is a good chance you can still get the Autoprop adapter anode.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:13   #486
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
I suspect there is a good chance you can still get the Autoprop adapter anode.[/SIZE]

I spoke to the owner of Isler’s a couple of months ago. The Autoprop adapter is no longer being made.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:25   #487

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I spoke to the owner of Isler’s a couple of months ago. The Autoprop adapter is no longer being made.
Hmm, business opportunity sell mail order or offer to fit to your customers with an autoprop reducing their anode costs.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:28   #488

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

I just replaced the nylon with SS screws (metric) years back. Find the AP zincs hang around longer. Also added an additional teardrop zinc to the system (have a lot of submerged SS in my CB System) and this has helped with the zinc longevity (also have a shaft zinc).

Frankly

My H5BB is 20 YO. One factory remachining and 4 or 5 bearin sets, but still works as advertised.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:37   #489
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Hmm, business opportunity sell mail order or offer to fit to your customers with an autoprop reducing their anode costs.
Well, there's a reason it's no longer being made. High manufacturing cost and not enough sales. Along that line, I currently service over 600 boats and (thankfully), not one of them uses an Autoprop.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote