Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2023, 04:22   #1

Boat: Mason 44
Renewing USCG lic from Europe

I need to renew my USCG license, and need a medical exam/drug screen by a US licensed doctor and testing lab. But currently living in Spain.
Has anyone been able to do this from overseas? I asked the US embassy in Madrid, but they don't have info.
maclysaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 06:46   #2

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: Renewing USCG lic from Europe

As always the folks to ask are the USCG National Maritime Center. They're usually quite helpful and you can't be the first one with this problem.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 23:10   #3

Unfortunately in this case they don't have any suggestions.
Old 10-08-2023, 02:53   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit

One option might be to do a renewal for continuity. It doesn't allow you to use your license while in a "continuity" state, but it supposedly allows you to renew at a later date without starting from scratch. It doesn't require the medical, etc. This way your license wouldn't go away, just kind of be in a hold state and you could properly renew when you are back in the states. This is my understanding anyway, but I would research it with NMC, since I have never done this and am certainly not an expert.

Gerhard
Kijit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 04:10   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kijit View Post
One option might be to do a renewal for continuity. It doesn't allow you to use your license while in a "continuity" state, but it supposedly allows you to renew at a later date without starting from scratch. It doesn't require the medical, etc. This way your license wouldn't go away, just kind of be in a hold state and you could properly renew when you are back in the states. This is my understanding anyway, but I would research it with NMC, since I have never done this and am certainly not an expert.

Gerhard
I have done this... You are allowed a 1 year grace period after your expiration date to either renew or place in continuity. I did the latter towards the end of the grace period after mine expired. At the time they were still the paper ticket. I sent that in, with the proper forms, and a few weeks later I got my ticket back, plus another that says it's in continuity. Fast forward many years (~12 years) to this spring, I renewed my license. To take it out of continuity you just need to meet all the requirements to renew the license you have. So sea time, medical, drug test, and whatever else. No retesting if you have more than 360 days in the past 5 years. Interestingly I was not required to provide first aid recertification. Luckily I did have a TWIC at one point (because they made everyone get one in 2006/07). That supposedly adds complications if you never had one.
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 05:45   #6

You'll always have one year from expiration to renew, but you can't "work" the license in that period. I once let mine go about ten months as I wasn't working it at that time. If you're planning on returning to the US even for a short visit you could get your physical and drug test then, you've got an extra year to do it. Renewal for continuity is a good option too, you can do it all online.
Old 10-08-2023, 05:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNemoO2 View Post
I have done this... You are allowed a 1 year grace period after your expiration date to either renew or place in continuity. I did the latter towards the end of the grace period after mine expired. At the time they were still the paper ticket. I sent that in, with the proper forms, and a few weeks later I got my ticket back, plus another that says it's in continuity. Fast forward many years (~12 years) to this spring, I renewed my license. To take it out of continuity you just need to meet all the requirements to renew the license you have. So sea time, medical, drug test, and whatever else. No retesting if you have more than 360 days in the past 5 years. Interestingly I was not required to provide first aid recertification. Luckily I did have a TWIC at one point (because they made everyone get one in 2006/07). That supposedly adds complications if you never had one.
The first aid-cpr cert is only required on your first application. That doesn't really make sense as the Red Cross and American Heart recommend doing it every one or two years. A couple jobs I've had that required it put us through it every year. For a while I didn't know it wasn't required for renewal so I sent in copies of the cards I got through work with my renewals. They weren't needed.
Old 15-08-2023, 04:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kijit View Post

Gerhard
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll actually back in the US a few months later, so can get the medical then.

Best,
Rory
Old 29-09-2023, 11:19   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Be aware that most doctors do not know how to fill out the medical forms and if not filled out correctly your renewal will bounce back.

I teach the OUPV class and give my students the name of a local medical office where they know the forms.

You might try contacting an American shipping company with offices in Spain.
They may have a doctor on staff or know of a location in Spain

Also try the US Naval Base they may help you.
https://cnreurafcent.cnic.navy.mil/I...s/NAVSTA-Rota/
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, rope