Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2011, 19:53   #1

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45
Trials & Tribulations of Renewing My USCG License

Okay this is a tale of Woe....
In the first week of last March, I submitted my papers for USCG License renewal.
It took until September with several letters from my heart Doctor to move on.
Then they required me to redo the STCW (Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping).
So I started STCW the 4th of October. The 5th of Oct. I broke my ankle. Three weeks ago I was able to complete the Recertification, with an aching ankle.
Now they want me to take three Exams. Fortunately it will be open book. Have to have a minimum of 90% on each test.
I believe that they are going out of their way and making it hard for us sightly older people to renew our licenses... Turned 70 on Boxing day... a minor detail.

Can't prove it though.

Yes the Ankle is still bothering me. Am using a cane and a small brace on the ankle.

Oh, I forgot to add that they tried to drown me during the water-survival portion of the certification. Had to jump from a high platform, then right a liferaft. And the Helicopter part was even worst. You are buckled into the simulator and dunk you deep under water, You had to swim out. The second time they had the doors & windows in place and you had to swim out from deep under water. Then you are buckled in and as they lower you under the water while turning you upside down. Yep! had to swim out again... and the last time with the doors and windows in place and do the swimming out again...

So how are you doing on renewing or acquiring your license?
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license