Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2021, 10:44   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Getting training for Canadians

Get your certs. Do a few charters sign up as delivery crew. Build experience
Old 12-09-2021, 21:08   #17

Hello LittleWing77, thanks for the effort you've put into your reply. I've updated my profile as you've recommended.

You are right, my experience is limited, and yes, I do think a large unwieldy boat is probably where I'll end up. I've been on a few yachts and cats over years, beyond commercial transportation of course. Perhaps my parents may never make it onto a boat, you are right, but the option of having friends visit is still appealing.

I am certain that people can get sea sick on catamarans, but the general wisdom that I've read is that in general, there is less likelihood of sea sickness on cats versus monohulls.

The fact that I didn't respond to every single line of foothillsailors reply does not mean I did not take his advice to heart. I will get training, I will volunteer with some people looking for help, and still hire a captain and try to have more experienced sailors on the boat at first, I just think this is prudent. I also agree that training is necessary for my wife as well - imagine if I had a heart attack or fell off.

When it comes to timelines, this like most things worth doing takes a little time. I'm guessing 4 years. I suppose for a lot of people this type of thing is a pipe dream, but for me this is another amazing life experience that I plan to embark on.
encoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 02:48   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by encoad View Post
I do think a large unwieldy boat is probably where I'll end up.
You may be right, encoad, cats are certainly the trendy choice in recent years. What I was emphasizing was not to limit your options. You may find, for instance, that something like a pilothouse cutter will be more to your liking, but if you have a fixed idea of catamaran-only, again, you'll only be shortchanging yourselves.
Quote:
I also agree that training is necessary for my wife as well - imagine if I had a heart attack or fell off.
Absolutely!

Since you're "just a couple of towns over", for inspiration and also onboard courses, I would recommend Sheryl and Paul Shard of Distant Shores. They are originally from Mississauga (now from somewhere on the Trent-Severn I never remember the name of the bloody town), have had a syndicated sailing show for years (never broadcast in Canada, however, if you can believe that! All episodes available from their website - makes great Winter entertainment) and now they do onboard tuition. Nicest people in the world! And absolutely fantastic teachers. If you'd like to see another gradual-plan-to-sailing-off, read their formal on the "About The Crew" page.

Distant Shores
http://www.distantshores.ca
Quote:
For me this is another amazing life experience that I plan to embark on.
It doesn't have to be a pipedream for long - once you've got your Admiral onboard (also known as your wife).

Fair winds!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 03:52   #19

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

There are apparently three yacht clubs in Ottawa. Why not buy a small boat and see if you even enjoy sailing and boat ownership? Why wait and lose the next few summers just dreaming?
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
training