Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2019, 10:57   #1

Boat: Hunter 35.5
ASA School Recommendations

I was able to convince my wife to take ASA 101 with me (in an effort to get her hooked on sailing/cruising). We live near the upper Chesapeake and were able to get into a class earlier this month.

We had a great time but there were some issues and we did not love the boat or the teacher.

She is still interested in 103 and 104.

I am looking for first hand recommendations on great ASA schools. We are willing to travel.

Cheers
Gtstricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 11:17   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: ASA School Recommendations

If he does not see this, message Auspicious. He is up that way and may even still teach.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 12:27   #3

We took the 101/103 combined classes at https://myrtlebeachsailingschool.com/combo-courses/.

We were able to stay on their 39 foot boat at night and the class was on their Morgan 31. There is a hotel nearby that is not expensive if you don't want to sleep on the boat or it is not available. The teachers were VERY good, patient and knowledgeable. If we were not understanding with one method or example they would try another until we go it.

Bill is one of the instructors and is a captain on the two cruise to no where gambling ships that you pass going to/from the inlet. Bill really knows his stuff and we were very impressed. You will learn to sail by the tell tails and you will perform the figure 8 MOB until you get it right. He taught most of our classes but we also had Jason for one day. Both are great.

Our only itty bitty complaint was that the heads stunk.

The marina has a really good seafood restaurant too! The marina bathrooms and showers were very clean.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 12:36   #4

Boat: Hunter 36

I took my ASA classes through the Pentagon sailing club, which is based in Wash DC area, so not too far from the Chesapeake (you don't have to be military to join, btw). They were wonderful people and very passionate about teaching sailing. I believe all the instructors are volunteers, the fees go only toward the overhead costs.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 12:50   #5

Location: San Francisco Bay Area for me. The boat is in the Caribbean.
Boat: X5+ Catamaran, 53’

Try Modern Sailing in Sausalito (near San Francisco). Great trip, lovely location, and a great school/club. i took several classes there and the instructors were great. I sail from there often as a club member. Boats are in great shape. And, of course, you are learning on the San Francisco Bay -one of the best places to sail.
Sbonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 12:50   #6

I have been happy with Annapolis Sailing School.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 16:44   #7

Boat: Hunter 35.5

Thank you all. I will check them out.
Gtstricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 20:01   #8

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Do your ASA courses in the Virgin Islands! I did them in the Chesapeake but then a friend went a had a great time sailing around the VI during the winter and I wondered why I didnt think of that too. Several of the good schools in the Chesapeake move their boats south in the winter to do this.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 13:25   #9

Boat: islandpacket

Check out the Maryland school of sailing in Rockhall Maryland. Great place.
Also as a couple I would suggest separate classes. Then you can share your separate experiences. Believe me that this will take alot of stress off both of you. You do want her to enjoy this. They have women only classes. Once she's comfortable with saiing. You will both enjoy it more together. You want her to learn to be independent and not intimidated.
I mean no reflection on you. But we found it much easier on us.
Old 14-02-2023, 08:10   #10

Although we sail the Chesapeake, my wife and I took our classes in warmer places during the winter. I can offer some suggestions and opinions other than specific schools.

1. Taking one class at a time was better for us than cramming everything together.

2. We studied and did all our classes together; in most cases it was just us and the instructor. We've done many things together and we know that works for us. I have heard the advice that people should split up and not train as a couple but do whatever works best for you.

3. We studied the books a lot, long before the class. Maybe overkill, but that way we could concentrate on the practical stuff without worrying about the test.

4. The most important thing for us was to get experience and we were able to find schools that let us charter from them once we successfully completed the class. Even a couple of day sails by yourself really brings home what you learnt. If you already have a boat, this doesn't apply.

Best of luck.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 07:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
Although we sail the Chesapeake, my wife and I took our classes in warmer places during the winter. I can offer some suggestions and opinions other than specific schools.

1. Taking one class at a time was better for us than cramming everything together.

2. We studied and did all our classes together; in most cases it was just us and the instructor. We've done many things together and we know that works for us. I have heard the advice that people should split up and not train as a couple but do whatever works best for you.

3. We studied the books a lot, long before the class. Maybe overkill, but that way we could concentrate on the practical stuff without worrying about the test.

4. The most important thing for us was to get experience and we were able to find schools that let us charter from them once we successfully completed the class. Even a couple of day sails by yourself really brings home what you learnt. If you already have a boat, this doesn't apply.

Best of luck.
All of the above is good advice thought we did 101 and 103 the same week since getting away was/is difficult.

I would add, start working on the knots before the class starts. We could not study the books much before the class started which would have made things easier.

The classes were fun but it was busy. We were studying, practicing knots, or sailing all of the time we were awake, except for eating dinner and getting cleaned up. It would have been "better" if we had started reading and knot tying earlier.

Having said that my wife, who had very little boat knowledge, only missed a question or two on the written tests, did not have issues with the knots or sailing.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2023, 05:26   #12

Boat: Lagoon 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahtcha View Post
I have been happy with Annapolis Sailing School.
I will second this. Annapolis Sailing School is great, and you get to learn on some historic 24' Rainbows!
SaltEnjoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 06:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post

2. We studied and did all our classes together; in most cases it was just us and the instructor. We've done many things together, sometimes get help here for low price, and we know that works for us. I have heard the advice that people should split up and not train as a couple but do whatever works best for you.

Best of luck.
Nice tips, especially about taking one class at a time
timfells is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, men, school