Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2023, 10:19   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
USCG 100ton to Canadian Seafarers license.

Hello, has anyone gone through the process of obtaining a Canadian license after having had a US captains license? I think I’ve got a baseline understanding of the process after a bit of googling but was wondering if anyone had gone through the process of transferring US to CA.
Old 12-04-2023, 14:32   #2

Re: USCG 100ton to Canadian Seafarers license.

I have from UK not from US.
Not to complicated if you have already qualified for residency.

Best to contact a transport Canada office ahead of time.
You will need your original certification.
The main thing is proof of seatime and the Seatime form filled out.

You might find it easier now a lot of the American Marine Emegency Duties requirements and other add ons are accepted now so you won’t have to re do them all unless the 5 years are up.

At this time as far as I know you will still have to take the exam for whichever certificate you currently hold or the next one up if you have the Seatime.
Tip if you plan on taking next one up get the Seatime approved by TC examiner or you may find after acquiring a Canadian cert they may start the clock counting again from when your first Canadian certification is issued.
The new Canada shipping act is supposed to come into effect soon and will probably change requirements to all some American certification to be used.

Some exams are accepted you would need to check with transport Canada

As far as I know there is no direct equivalent of 6 pack or 100t license.
You may find you have to upgrade some course and exams if you want an STCW certification particularly without restrictions.

Small Vessel Operator. For small domestic vessels. Is a lower certification.

You will require the Watch Keeping Mate restricted which is home trade. Or Unrestricted which is as it says.
With whatever the current tonnage endorsement as master.

Domestic only certification exists but at this time we require STCW although old guys like me are technically domestic only because we don’t have to bother with the refresher if we stay within home trade area and don’t go for new certification.

PS transport Canada can be very frustrating to deal with. Often get different answers from different offices.

Once you get certified in Canada
We are short of staff and hiring. If you can walk through the door with a valid piece of paper and a marine i medical. So are most other companies.

We would most likely hire a 100t cert in an entry level position.

If you get a watch keeping officer certification. We would hire you in entry position but give you the opportunity to relieve into watch keeping positions.

FV.
Small tour boat ect.
Small restricted tow boat.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 18:52   #3

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Re: USCG 100ton to Canadian Seafarers license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
I have from UK not from US.
Not to complicated if you have already qualified for residency.

Best to contact a transport Canada office ahead of time.
You will need your original certification.
The main thing is proof of seatime and the Seatime form filled out.

You might find it easier now a lot of the American Marine Emegency Duties requirements and other add ons are accepted now so you won’t have to re do them all unless the 5 years are up.

At this time as far as I know you will still have to take the exam for whichever certificate you currently hold or the next one up if you have the Seatime.
Tip if you plan on taking next one up get the Seatime approved by TC examiner or you may find after acquiring a Canadian cert they may start the clock counting again from when your first Canadian certification is issued.
The new Canada shipping act is supposed to come into effect soon and will probably change requirements to all some American certification to be used.

Some exams are accepted you would need to check with transport Canada

As far as I know there is no direct equivalent of 6 pack or 100t license.
You may find you have to upgrade some course and exams if you want an STCW certification particularly without restrictions.

Small Vessel Operator. For small domestic vessels. Is a lower certification.

You will require the Watch Keeping Mate restricted which is home trade. Or Unrestricted which is as it says.
With whatever the current tonnage endorsement as master.

Domestic only certification exists but at this time we require STCW although old guys like me are technically domestic only because we don’t have to bother with the refresher if we stay within home trade area and don’t go for new certification.

PS transport Canada can be very frustrating to deal with. Often get different answers from different offices.

Once you get certified in Canada
We are short of staff and hiring. If you can walk through the door with a valid piece of paper and a marine i medical. So are most other companies.

We would most likely hire a 100t cert in an entry level position.

If you get a watch keeping officer certification. We would hire you in entry position but give you the opportunity to relieve into watch keeping positions.

FV.
Small tour boat ect.
Small restricted tow boat.
This is great. Thank you.

Tags
license