Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2014, 18:58   #46

Boat: Various
Re: MASSIVE price difference!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I couldn't agree more. I'm being very careful about whom I hire. Has to be someone competent and knowledgeable, but also a gentleman. After all, I will be living with this total stranger for weeks at a time. Definitely don't want to accidentally hire the wrong jerk
Yes, like hiring a captain and a roommate.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 18:59   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Yep, you really want the right jerk...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 19:00   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Yes, like hiring a captain and a roommate.
...and the opposite sex, at that.
Old 17-05-2014, 20:00   #49

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Well Done, GG... cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 20:31   #50

GG,

You probably know this but so many new boat owner details are coming at you that there are bound to be some surprises.

Your insurance company needs to know about your captain and, depending on the company, his qualifications may affect your rates.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 21:25   #51

Boat: too many

Quote:
...and the opposite sex, at that.
No reason you can't go with a female captain. Liz, who grew up sailing the world with her parents is now a deckofficer on megayachts in her mid 30's. Her dad is a CF member. Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: sy_gilana

Here is Liz's resume page
Liz Michelle HANKS
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 08:05   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Well Done, GG... cheers, Phil
I'm getting there.

Phil, thanks again for all of your help!!!
Old 18-05-2014, 08:08   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
No reason you can't go with a female captain. Liz, who grew up sailing the world with her parents is now a deckofficer on megayachts in her mid 30's. Her dad is a CF member. Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: sy_gilana

Liz Michelle HANKS
She seems impressive.
Old 18-05-2014, 10:07   #54

Quote:
She seems impressive.
She really is. She took a strong interest in her family's boat, seamanship, systems, et al from the very beginning. Lived and worked on that boat from age 10. Her dad taught her all he knew, and then she went on to a maritime academy. Holds many licenses and certifications plus supervised many shipyard refits on megayachts.

One thing you could be assured of with Liz, she would never hold your gender against you as to learning all your systems and seamanship.
Old 18-05-2014, 14:27   #55

Quote:

Liz Michelle HANKS
Whoops, correction..... mid 20's. Sorry Liz.
Old 18-05-2014, 15:25   #56

There are many skilled female captains and the assumption the captain would be a male even by a very independent female shows part of the problem. We've stereotyped Captains. That's also impacted the number of female crew members working toward the goal of being a Captain.

Wifey B: While my hubby and I have no plans to captain for others, we are captains and working our way up, just for our own purposes. But when we went to maritime school, I was the only female in our class, and in the hallways most assumed I was there to be a stew. We are personally encouraging some younger female stews/deckhands who love boating in their pursuit of becoming Captains. But we do this in business as well.

This isn't a criticism of Galaxy Girl in assuming male because I imagine the only candidates that she'd had presented to her were male. You think Female Captains are rare, they are plentiful compared to female engineers.

I'm not ever suggesting hiring a female over a decidedly more qualified male. But you'll sometimes find incredibly skilled females, more qualified than the male candidates, who others have overlooked because they didn't consider females.
Old 18-05-2014, 16:06   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
There are many skilled female captains and the assumption the captain would be a male even by a very independent female shows part of the problem. We've stereotyped Captains. That's also impacted the number of female crew members working toward the goal of being a Captain.

Wifey B: While my hubby and I have no plans to captain for others, we are captains and working our way up, just for our own purposes. But when we went to maritime school, I was the only female in our class, and in the hallways most assumed I was there to be a stew. We are personally encouraging some younger female stews/deckhands who love boating in their pursuit of becoming Captains. But we do this in business as well.

This isn't a criticism of Galaxy Girl in assuming male because I imagine the only candidates that she'd had presented to her were male. You think Female Captains are rare, they are plentiful compared to female engineers.

I'm not ever suggesting hiring a female over a decidedly more qualified male. But you'll sometimes find incredibly skilled females, more qualified than the male candidates, who others have overlooked because they didn't consider females.
Well said. Can also be said for age. Since I was in my mid 40's when I entered the Academy, I was to become a rather old 3rd Mate. On more than one occasion, when entering a port on my watch, the harbor pilot would greet me on the bridge calling me "Captain" when the actual Captain was also on the bridge, just because he was 20 years younger.

In Liz's case, even though young, she grew up on a boat so has more experience than her age would suggest.
Old 18-05-2014, 17:09   #58

Quote:
Well said. Can also be said for age. Since I was in my mid 40's when I entered the Academy, I was to become a rather old 3rd Mate. On more than one occasion, when entering a port on my watch, the harbor pilot would greet me on the bridge calling me "Captain" when the actual Captain was also on the bridge, just because he was 20 years younger.

In Liz's case, even though young, she grew up on a boat so has more experience than her age would suggest.
That's like a Captain's granddaughter we know. She was on his boat when she was 4. By the time she was 10, she "helped" him. Up to about 15 she was very active on his boat and did most everything at one time or another. Then got away and just came back in at 18 and figured out how much she loves it. Will she become a captain? Definitely. Will that be her career? To be determined.

Oh and the boat she was handling young is a 62' Viking.
Old 20-05-2014, 10:56   #59

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio

$139 per hour labor rate in my yard. $1400 to mount a swim platform that the company said should be around $500 to get done.
Joe from ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 11:33   #60

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

BandB brings up a fine example. My old neighbor is a grad of CMA and has spent a number of years honing his skills as a Deck Officer and is about 5 years away from a skippers certification for Unlimited Seagong. His wife, whose father was a Seagoing Captain for many years, now retired, attended the CMA as well and worked her way up to First Officer. A very impressive young lady but has taken time out to raise a family. I'm more impressed with her accomplishments in a male dominated profession than his, quite frankly.
Deck Officer's recommendation is wonderful to see... she has obviously immersed herself in experience and training from a young age and sounds like a marvelous choice for GG if she has not already secured professional help.
The women I had as delivery crew always rose to exceed what I expected of them... they just needed the opportunity to expand their responsibilities.
I only wish that more would chose to follow the sea as a profession. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, price