Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2014, 20:39   #31

Boat: Various
Re: MASSIVE price difference!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post

There are a lot of other clues embedded in both the listing and GG's blog.
Mystery solved, maybe.
I think you're right. So guess it's first trip would be to the East Coast. But she was looking for boatyards in South Florida. But sounds like you're right. Guess time will tell. A lot of people not yet convinced she's going to end up with it.

But if she's going from Mobile to Fort Lauderdale or near, going to need a Captain for that.

And the ad saying "fresh water", unless they just brought it down from the Tennessee River or something.

But that looks like the boat and I think a 63' Hatteras is a great boat. Notice the ad doesn't say what engines either.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 20:51   #32

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

...Notice the ad doesn't say what engines either.

BandB, in the listing ad you'll notice two tabs just above the basic info area.
Click on the "View Full Specifications" tab and you'll get a wealth of info.
Old 15-05-2014, 21:13   #33

Quote:
...Notice the ad doesn't say what engines either.

BandB, in the listing ad you'll notice two tabs just above the basic info area.
Click on the "View Full Specifications" tab and you'll get a wealth of info.
I do know how to click and under "View Full Specifications" this is all that shows up. Not exactly a wealth of info.

Boat Name
Lady Sadie

Specs
Builder: Hatteras

Dimensions
LOA: 63 ft 0 in
Beam: 18 ft 2 in
Maximum Draft: 5 ft 0 in

Engines
Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Detroit Diesel
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel

Engine 2:

So, nothing about size of engine. No engine hours either by the way. And these are two items on 99% of ads.
Old 15-05-2014, 21:41   #34

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

"I do know how to click and under "View Full Specifications" this is all that shows up. Not exactly a wealth of info."

BandB, this is what I see after opening the tab. No engine model number or hours, but it does indicate 650 hp. total.

Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:

Boat Name
Lady Sadie
Specs
Builder: Hatteras
Dimensions
LOA: 63 ft 0 in
Beam: 18 ft 2 in
Maximum Draft: 5 ft 0 in
Engines
Engine 1:

Engine 2:

Disclaimer
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.

Add Disclaimer

Disclaimer
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.

Dimensions
Displacement: 92000

Engines
Total Power: 650

Tanks
Fuel: 1170
Fresh Water: 350

COMPLETE LAYOUT
ACCOMMODATIONS AND LAYOUT:
This 1987 Classic Hatteras 63 Flybridge Motor Yacht
The semi-V bottom is blue and the exterior is off white with blue boot and sheer stripes. Exterior canvas’ and upholstery are white and the trim is varnished teak.

The flybridge is accessed from a pilothouse ladder. The large helm is forward with a centerline wheel and storage below. Electronics are mounted in the dash. There is a pedestal helm chair with matching navigation chair to port. A radar arch and Bimini top with curtains are overhead.

The top runs aft if the arch over wrap-around bench seats with storage below. Bulwarks enclose the flybridge area and aft of the bulwarks is 13ft. Boston Whaler w 25 H.P. Yamaha four-stroke engine with dinghy davit.

The foredeck has a fiberglass pulpit forward with teak inserts, Plow style anchor, and windlass and stainless steel rails. Teak rails with single lifelines run to the pilothouse as well. There is a small, comfortable line handling aft deck with teak safety rails that have weatherboards below.

A ladder aft runs down to the fiberglass swim platform. The aft deck has canvas extension on salon overhang and a door to starboard opens to the salon.

The interior has teak trim. Bulkhead and cabinetry with mica counter tops. Blinds are wood and the over heads are all white vinyl and in perfect condition. Flooring is teak parquet in the galley, dinette, and pilothouse and the rest is cream carpet. Below decks the bathrooms are ivory vinyl.

The main deck as a pilothouse forward with breaker panels below and outboard of the stairway to starboard leading to the living quarters. There is a helm bench seat with storage and drawers and shelf-top lockers outboard beside the entry doors. The flybridge ladder and entry to the galley and dinette are aft to starboard. The dining room and main salon are aft. The large dinette has a warp-around settee with storage below and a mica table.

Across to port is the U shaped galley. The General Electric side by side refrigerator/freezer, Modern Maid 4 burner range with dishwasher below and oven above are forward. The doubled sink with lockers and drawers below the counter are outboard. A large counter is aft with storage and microwave above and storage, drawers and trash compactor below.

Aft is main salon and dining room. An entertainment center and wet bar are forward a\to starboard. Storage is below and Samsung flat screen TV and Bose 6-disc magazine player sound system, video player are above. The cream finish wood opal dining table seats six that can be made into round four seats with six matching chairs. The forward bulkhead is mirrored. Aft is cream tone on tone damask cotton fabric matching loveseats and couch with wood and glass coffee table.

Swivel chairs with cane stands are along the starboard side. Below decks there is a mid-level built-in desk with cream leather captain chair. There is a flush hatch in the sole opening to the generator and equipment room. To starboard is a guest/crew stateroom. There are crises-cross berths with storage below. A hanging locker and en-suite bathroom are forward. The bathroom has a head outboard and a vanity with sink and hand held shower in board. Forward and down is the forward guest/crew stateroom. The upper and lower bunk berths run along the starboard side. A hanging locker is aft. A dresser and mirror are across to port. An escape hatch is over head and rope locker is in the forepeak. The en-suite bathroom is aft to port. The head is aft, vanity with sink outboard and the shower stall is forward. A companion way running aft has the laundry center forward to starboard and linen locker. The guest bathroom is aft. There is a vanity with sink outboard, head aft, and shower stall with seat forward. There is another guest stateroom to port with single berths. Drawers are below and nightstand is between. The forward bulkhead is mirrored. There is mirrored hanging locker aft and outboard. A shelf runs along the outboard side with mirror between port windows. The engine rooms are aft on each side of the companionway with doors fore and aft of the engines. Aft of the engine rooms is the master suite with a large dressing room. The L shaped dressing table has burial mica counter tops. There a vanity chair and mirror and lights forward and storage to port. A large double hanging locker is aft. The en-suite bathroom is across to starboard a large vanity with sink is outboard, head inboard and bathtub with shower and enclosure door is forward. The master bedroom is aft. There is a queen island berth with storage and lazerette across below. Shelf top dressers run along both sides of the stateroom. A hanging locker is forward to starboard and a TV is on the port dresser. All is all a classic beautiful vessel filled with comforts, quality and tradition.

DECK AND HULL:
Plow style anchor; Danforth anchor; pulpit with rail; bimini top; fiberglass arch; freshwater wash down system; electric dinghy davits ; Galley Maid electric windlass; docking lights; fenders and lines; lifejackets/life rings; navigation lights; dual electric controlled search lights; Wesmar bow thruster control.

ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS:
12volt volt(DC); 110 volt(AC); 20 Kw generator; 20 Kw generator; Rolls batteries with parallel switch; automatic and manual battery charger; dockside electrical cables.

ELECTRONICS AND NAVIGATION EQUIPMENT:

Northstar 962 GPS/plotter Northstar 941X navigation receiver
48 mile Furuno Color radar Robertson auto pilot
2 Icon VHF radio Data Link recording depth sounder
2 compasses Data Link speed and distance logs
Rudder angle indicator Samsung flat screen TV
Bose 6-disc magazine player RCA TV-stateroom
Video recorder Sea Tel Direct TV

Flybridge Electronics:
Icon VHFIC-100 Robertson Ap200DL Auto pilot
Data Link speed & Depth Northstar 800
Robertson Rubber indicator
MECHANICAL AND ENGINE/ROOM EQUIPMENT:
Air conditioning; stabilizers; bilge blower; 4 bilge pumps; Water maker fresh water system. Engine Details-Lube oil transfer system.
SALESMAN REMARKS:
Other Features:
Boat has been Captained, maintained and has been kept under cover.

Exclusions:
Owner’s personal items.
Old 15-05-2014, 22:08   #35

Quote:
"I do know how to click and under "View Full Specifications" this is all that shows up. Not exactly a wealth of info."

BandB, this is what I see after opening the tab. No engine model number or hours, but it does indicate 650 hp. total.

My mistake....Duh. Wife spanking me for mental lapse. I'm so used to the Disclaimer being at the end, I just didn't see below it. It's obviously there.

So definitely an LRC, trawler type, reaching little more than hull speed. Twin 325's is not much power for that boat. Yes, I know to some trawler owners it's overpowered but it weighs 92,000 pound and Hatteras offers the 60' MY today with standard of twin 1000's and option of twin 1135's. Does change the quick run back across from Bahamas to Florida coast. Still possible in a 24 hour day or so, but not in a 12-14 hr period of daylight. Now excellent range as the 1170 gallons of fuel is basically what today's 60' has.
Old 15-05-2014, 22:39   #36

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Very perceptive comment, a64pilot... most licensed as skippers spent a lot of sea time and a bit of studying gaining our certification and only incidently picked up diesel mechanics, electrical or hydraulic systems knowledge. Those of us from a commercial background learned a fair bit about these critical sysyems because we had to monkey wrench the systems on the go to keep the vessel running and meet our commercial commitments. However, the requirements to meet the standards of say 100 ton license is cursory at best.
Those with a Maritime Academy background with Unlimited Seagoing qualifications have a more structured mechanical training in addition to the vessel management portion of the curiculum. Those who took the engine room direction as opposed to deck officer qualification have an in depth knowledge and training on mechanical/electrical systems and are very well qualified. While those who went the non-Academy route picked up the knowledge by practice and are not necessarily trained in the specifics of mechanical/electrical/electronic trouble shooting, dignostics or repair work.
Another good reason to quiz potential skippers on their background and experience as well as their qualifications. Phil
More or less what I was getting at. She would get better value out of advise of a maintaince/repair/refit expert at this point and not hape to put a skipper/captain on the payroll until ready to roll.

Not sure why perhaps being Australian don't like the term captain in relatively small vessel configuration preferring skipper.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 22:46   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
More or less what I was getting at. She would get better value out of advise of a maintaince/repair/refit expert at this point and not hape to put a skipper/captain on the payroll until ready to roll.

Not sure why perhaps being Australian don't like the term captain in relatively small vessel configuration preferring skipper.

Cheers
Well, in the US we tend to prefer Captain to represent the holding of a license. Plus she needs one for all the other things she has going on and the planning. When I think of a Captain I think of someone who is knowledgeable and does much more than just skipper the boat. Maybe I've been spoiled by such good ones.
Old 15-05-2014, 23:07   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, in the US we tend to prefer Captain to represent the holding of a license. Plus she needs one for all the other things she has going on and the planning. When I think of a Captain I think of someone who is knowledgeable and does much more than just skipper the boat. Maybe I've been spoiled by such good ones.
Fair enough.
I am not sure if GG intended to employ a Captain on the payroll from day one to sort out the vessel?

I got the impression she wanted to do a lot of that herself and a refit/main guy when necessary would be best at present.

Besides a top shiny Cap with good refit/grease monkey experience would command top dollar. Too much supposition without GG's input anyway.

Cheers
Old 15-05-2014, 23:39   #39

Quote:
Fair enough.
I am not sure if GG intended to employ a Captain on the payroll from day one to sort out the vessel?

I got the impression she wanted to do a lot of that herself and a refit/main guy when necessary would be best at present.

Besides a top shiny Cap with good refit/grease monkey experience would command top dollar. Too much supposition without GG's input anyway.

Cheers
Yes, just saying she is completely new. Things like equipping it, getting appropriate parts and supplies, planning the Bahamas, looking at storm options. And she intended to take off in it basically a month after taking possession so not as if we're talking much ahead of time.

Obviously without her input we're just guessing and going by her previous posts and her blog. Maybe all those plans have changed. This has been quite a long saga with many twists and turns. Still right now she has two estimates on just one job that needs to be done and no one that we're aware of to help her sort through them or figure out if either is trustworthy.
Old 15-05-2014, 23:54   #40

Quote:
Yes, just saying she is completely new. Things like equipping it, getting appropriate parts and supplies, planning the Bahamas, looking at storm options. And she intended to take off in it basically a month after taking possession so not as if we're talking much ahead of time.

Obviously without her input we're just guessing and going by her previous posts and her blog. Maybe all those plans have changed. This has been quite a long saga with many twists and turns. Still right now she has two estimates on just one job that needs to be done and no one that we're aware of to help her sort through them or figure out if either is trustworthy.
Don't underestimate the depth of her research and her ability to seek out advise and assistance. Thought she did a good job regarding the exhaust and will make the right decision when the time comes. She is certainly not backward in seeking advise and seems capable of filtering correctly.

No doubt it is a big project.

Cheers.
Old 16-05-2014, 14:23   #41

Quote:
Don't underestimate the depth of her research and her ability to seek out advise and assistance. Thought she did a good job regarding the exhaust and will make the right decision when the time comes. She is certainly not backward in seeking advise and seems capable of filtering correctly.
Thanks for the vote of confidence

I am replacing the risers, for those who are wondering what part of the exhaust. I was advised that that the wet tail system with a glass catch basin was the way to go if I want to avoid potentially destroying the engines. I headed that advice.

My best guess is that the low guy makes the parts for the high guy. As we all know, anytime that you cut out a middle man, you save. I agree that no charge for installation is strange, but he really did get a kick out of me being a female and said that if I was a guy he would charge me. I guess that worked in my favor I'm sure that if I called around and got a couple more estimates, they would vary as well. When I arrive on the scene, even if he has to adjust up for unforeseens, there is so much room compared to the high guy that I will still be better off. Marine exhaust is all this guy does. I think it will be ok.

I'm hoping to have my boat in about a week and a half. The boat will go straight to the exhaust guy before I head to the Bahamas, if things go my way. I will post the details of how it goes. This is a great learning experience for me, in more ways than one.

I am also going to get the boat measured for new galley cabinets while in Florida because there is a lightweight granite company there. I figured better knock that out before I leave and I can install on the return from the Bahamas. But...that's another story.
Old 16-05-2014, 15:12   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence

I am replacing the risers, for those who are wondering what part of the exhaust. I was advised that that the wet tail system with a glass catch basin was the way to go if I want to avoid potentially destroying the engines. I headed that advice.

My best guess is that the low guy makes the parts for the high guy. As we all know, anytime that you cut out a middle man, you save. I agree that no charge for installation is strange, but he really did get a kick out of me being a female and said that if I was a guy he would charge me. I guess that worked in my favor I'm sure that if I called around and got a couple more estimates, they would vary as well. When I arrive on the scene, even if he has to adjust up for unforeseens, there is so much room compared to the high guy that I will still be better off. Marine exhaust is all this guy does. I think it will be ok.

I'm hoping to have my boat in about a week and a half. The boat will go straight to the exhaust guy before I head to the Bahamas, if things go my way. I will post the details of how it goes. This is a great learning experience for me, in more ways than one.

I am also going to get the boat measured for new galley cabinets while in Florida because there is a lightweight granite company there. I figured better knock that out before I leave and I can install on the return from the Bahamas. But...that's another story.
Not asking who but have you found a captain yet? Or are you going to use a contract captain for the initial trips?
Old 17-05-2014, 18:42   #43

Quote:
Not asking who but have you found a captain yet? Or are you going to use a contract captain for the initial trips?
I have a couple of people in mind. One person I met here in Boston. He is a charter and delivery captain and also gives professional instructional on navigation, boat safety etc. at a respectable sailing school here.

The other guy is also a delivery captain and he is VERY familiar with my soon to be boat as he has been working on the boat for a couple of weeks and moved her a couple times on short trips.
Old 17-05-2014, 18:48   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I have a couple of people in mind. One person I met here in Boston. He is a charter and delivery captain and also gives professional instructional on navigation, boat safety etc. at a respectable sailing school here.

The other guy is also a delivery captain and he is VERY familiar with my soon to be boat as he has been working on the boat for a couple of weeks and moved her a couple times on short trips.
That's good to hear. The right captain sure makes life easier, especially when getting started.
Old 17-05-2014, 18:55   #45

Quote:
That's good to hear. The right captain sure makes life easier, especially when getting started.
I couldn't agree more. I'm being very careful about whom I hire. Has to be someone competent and knowledgeable, but also a gentleman. After all, I will be living with this total stranger for weeks at a time. Definitely don't want to accidentally hire the wrong jerk

Tags
enc, price