Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2024, 07:21   #16

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Mantus Dinghy Light: USCG Violation??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealandsky View Post
I purchased the Navisafe lights for my RIB. Compliant and easy to install when needed.
They actually have the exact same problem as the Mantus lights!!!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 08:02   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
What draws you to that conclusion? Looks perfectly usable..if a bit expensive.

You still ideally want bow lights and an all around light. This can't be accomplished with 1 fixture and it isn't what Mantus is trying to say that they are selling

^^ This. We would like a light in one fixture, but that isn't possible. The vertical separation is needed for visibility. If you place a white all-around right on top of the red/green, it just looks like a white light. Mantus could do more to explain.

Realistically, I'm happy if they have lights.

---

One lesson from this thread is that you need to read the annex to COLREGS to understand the regs. Reading the applicable sections is not enough.
Old 05-04-2024, 13:20   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Realistically, I'm happy if they have lights.
My feeling as well! The combined light will be interpreted as a sailing vessel. This discrepancy only means that an approaching vessel will sometimes be incorrectly made a give way actor rather than a stand on actor... a slight inconvenience but not a degradation of safety at sea. Remember that in general dinghies don't interact with large ships... mostly with other small craft in situations where their agility means ease of avoidance.

Jim
Old 05-04-2024, 13:56   #19

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

USCG compliant or not, if you have any navigation lights on your dinghy you are doing much better than far too many people out here. Thanks for your efforts.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 13:57   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
They actually have the exact same problem as the Mantus lights!!!
And what exactly is the problem you are referring to? The Navisafe stern light comes with a tall pole to meet height requirements and has both the ability to function as a stern white light and an all-round anchor light. The red and green mounted on the bow also meet the USCG requirements for size of craft.
sealandsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 14:35   #21

Boat: Beneteau 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealandsky View Post
And what exactly is the problem you are referring to? The Navisafe stern light comes with a tall pole to meet height requirements and has both the ability to function as a stern white light and an all-round anchor light. The red and green mounted on the bow also meet the USCG requirements for size of craft.
I think the issue is that a single light displaying green red and white can’t by itself be USCG compliant. I have two Navisafe lights, one tricolor and one 360 degree white. Using the red and green from the tricolor and the 360 white you would be compliant, but a single tricolor can’t meet the requirements for a motorized craft.
Indolent58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 14:54   #22

I would agree with your position. In my case I have a tall 25-30 pole holding up my Navisafe white light and as previously stated I can switch it from being a stern running light to a 360 anchor light. On my bow I just have the red / green running lights. All are 2 nm brightness which is appropriate for my 12 foot RIB. I believe this makes my Navisafe lighting fully USCG compliant.
Old 05-04-2024, 15:55   #23

Boat: Columbia 36

A vessel under human power (oars or paddle) carries the same lights as a sailing vessel: sidelights (red and green) and stern light (white). So if you are rowing those are the only lights you need, and the Mantus would be fully compliant. When you start the motor however, you then need the masthead/steaming light. (Same thing with a sailboat, and a lot of people get that wrong too). Do they say anything about it being legal for a power driven vessel?
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 16:20   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
A vessel under human power (oars or paddle) carries the same lights as a sailing vessel: sidelights (red and green) and stern light (white). So if you are rowing those are the only lights you need, and the Mantus would be fully compliant. When you start the motor however, you then need the masthead/steaming light. (Same thing with a sailboat, and a lot of people get that wrong too). Do they say anything about it being legal for a power driven vessel?
I was doing some research and while above is accurate, being under motor power, but under 7 knots also falls within the above description.Great topic everyone!

Tags
COLREGS, dinghy, legal, legallity, lights, Mantus, navigation, navigation light, rules of the road