Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2021, 05:45   #1

Looking for opinions on first boat size

Hey there all

Living on the East Coast of Australia on some beautiful waterways and access to open water, finally im at a stage in my life that I can afford to not only get a boat but enjoy some family time on the water. Have hired boats heaps, taken out friends boats for day trips, so know what im doing on a small scale and have a mate that can spwnd some time on deck with me when I finally purchase.

What im trying to get an idea of is whats "Too big" for a first power cruiser boat? I have gone through many many options and where im at, at the moment is, im wanting something 28-30ft for over night adventures in our huge lakes system and maybe some open water discovery down the track once im more confident, would 30ft be too much of a boat. Would have a swing mooring to begin with until I was abit more confident in docking.

Just want something that can sleep 2 adults & 2 small kids so we can get out and about and have some fun on the water. Was looking at Sea Rays, Bayliners, Mustangs & Riviera's to name a few but have found a nice Bayliner 2858 command bridge with Yanmar Diesel thats kind of got my eye at the moment.

Thanks in advance
EastCoastLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:51   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Looking for opinions on first boat size

Hard to say what's too small or too big, Lad; lots depends on your own requirements (gotta haves), other features you'd like (nice to have), and especially how you'll use the boat.

Overnight suggests a decent berth, head, galley... and that can eliminate lots of the smaller offerings. Your definition of "decent" comes into play, too, at both ends of the size range. Guests, ever? More berth, bigger boat. Sun/rain-protected exterior space? Bigger boat. Need to trailer? Smaller boat. Et cetera.

There's a hidden gotcha, of course. Lots of features in a small boat often means access to systems -- for routine maintenance, repair, etc) -- sucks. So there's sometimes a sweet spot between boat sizes where features and decent access come together, at least as OK as access ever is on boats.

28 doesn't sound too out of line, to me. Maybe you could compare features in many other 28-33' boats, see how that particular one stacks up. Brand is sort of a non-issue, within reason. Condition is key. A mis-treated "Superbrand" POS might be salvageable, but is often not as good as a well-treated "Brand X."

-Chris
Old 10-06-2021, 21:04   #3

Boat: Westsail 32

Size of first boat? 28-30 feet is about right for 4 people.

Thus: Small boats go out all the time. Big boats just sit at the dock....
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 03:09   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Lad.

FWIW: Maggie & I happily lived aboard & cruised our C&C 29 [28.5' LOA] for a decade.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 09:59   #5

Boat: Lancer 44' motorsailer

Some things to consider, as I did, in mulling over first boat purchase:
- Do I want to put in cash and toil on a vessel, only to outgrow it and move up in to the next size, again and again, vs making my first boat my last boat and be able to grow into it.
- Bigger boat, bigger bills.
- How big is too big? Well, vast majority of slips are for boats under 50ft (15m), so over 50ft, your options for docking are severely limited.
- Buying something is an emotional decision. Selling is a financial decision. Fall in love with what you want to get, so you'll be able to overcome the frustrations easier and make it a labor of love. Or not.
- Look at a LOT of boats. I learned so much about what I liked, got ideas, and also what didn't want as I kicked the tires on several
skwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:30   #6

Boat: Hunter 46

30 feet is not too big and a nice size for inland lakes. Once you make the transition to open water you will be more comfortable with a longer waterline and heavier displacement boat. My first boat was a 21 foot water ski boat. Then I moved up to a 56 foot , heavy twin engine powerboat, which I got the hang of it pretty quick.

In my opinion a dock is easier and more convenient than a mooring. Besides you will access to water, power and dock restrooms.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:56   #7

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

I had a 17’ SeaRay and 25 years later bought a 64’ Grand Banks for me and my wife. We cruised for almost 5 years throughout the Bahamas and Caribbean.

64’ was not too big for the two of us to handle (dock, moor and anchor). Actually the 64 with a bow thruster and twin diesels was considerably easier to maneuver than the 27 with a single I/O.

Bottom line don’t be intimated by boat size. That said the comments on a 50’ is right on if you are looking at Marina accommodations or shoal drafts.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:41   #8

Start smaller, there is a whole new level of maintenance and expenses that go with owning, make sure you want that (and understand it). As a friend of mine use to say "Cheaper to Charter". If you can just use someone else's boat for free that is optimal.
rmhutch59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 13:23   #9

I just got my 12m or 39ft sea ray from the USA to live on by myself. It has 2 cabins so can sleep 4 people comfortably toilet with separate shower and a kitchen so my girlfriend is happy and comfortable when we go out. Remember the golden rule happy wife happy life. If they are not comfortable and can move around when they get bored or need to do something then it will be harder for everyone to enjoy themselves.
Old 11-06-2021, 13:27   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastLad View Post
Hey there all

Living on the East Coast of Australia on some beautiful waterways and access to open water, finally im at a stage in my life that I can afford to not only get a boat but enjoy some family time on the water. Have hired boats heaps, taken out friends boats for day trips, so know what im doing on a small scale and have a mate that can spwnd some time on deck with me when I finally purchase.

What im trying to get an idea of is whats "Too big" for a first power cruiser boat? I have gone through many many options and where im at, at the moment is, im wanting something 28-30ft for over night adventures in our huge lakes system and maybe some open water discovery down the track once im more confident, would 30ft be too much of a boat. Would have a swing mooring to begin with until I was abit more confident in docking.

Just want something that can sleep 2 adults & 2 small kids so we can get out and about and have some fun on the water. Was looking at Sea Rays, Bayliners, Mustangs & Riviera's to name a few but have found a nice Bayliner 2858 command bridge with Yanmar Diesel thats kind of got my eye at the moment.

Thanks in advance
On the East Coast of Oz, you definitely want something large enough to carry a dive compressor and some diving gear (if not today, then eventually) I wouldn't worry too much about extra cabins for guests - people will say they want to come but most never do. What you're talking about is already too big for a trailer so too big is more a factor of what you can afford rather than your ability to handle it. This is a motor boat - how hard could it be?
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 00:22   #11

Thanks all.

Have taken it all on board and will be going for the 28-30ft that I have had my eye on, its a Bayliner 2858 Command bridge, heaps of room for the kids (Liking the smaller extra king single so each of the kids have their own bed when we are out.

Will have a second look at the mooring vs jetty berth because shore power and water would be a bonus, specially to keep the solar topped up before we head off.

So now its just a point of finding something decent, the bayliner is at the top of the pricerange that I wanted to spend but for the $$ its ticking all my boxes without having to upgrade later.
Diesel ✔
Sleeps 4 comfortably ✔
Decent Gally ✔
Enough room for 2 adults and 2 kids ✔
EastCoastLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 07:17   #12

Boat: Hunter 46

EastCoastLad........good plan and you and the family will be happier berthed in a slip with utilities, especially if it has two fingers so you can tie-off and access both sides of the boat.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, size