Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2024, 07:50   #1

Height For Towing Purposes 1986,87,85 Bluewater Coastal Cruiser

Does anyone out there know the towing height (height from the waterline to the highest point on the front flybridge windshield rail, (radar arch will be stowed down) for a mid 80s Bluewater Coastal Cruiser motor yacht. I'm considering having mine towed cross country (loaded on a lowboy trailer with bunks) and I need to know the towing height for permits and route purposes..I have the specs for the lowboy trailer with bunks. Thanks
Tcheairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 07:52   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Height For Towing Purposes 1986,87,85 Bluewater Coastal Cruiser

For over-height boat transport, the only thing to do is measure the specific boat you want to transport. Depending on equipment differences, changes that have been made to the boat over time, etc. you can have differences between theoretically identical boats. And when you're close to the height limit or dealing with over-height permits, you have to be exact. Even being an inch off is a concern.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 08:12   #3

Just measure it when the vessel is removed from the water.

Each model year appears to be unique.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 10:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcheairs View Post
Does anyone out there know the towing height (height from the waterline to the highest point on the front flybridge windshield rail, (radar arch will be stowed down) for a mid 80s Bluewater Coastal Cruiser motor yacht. I'm considering having mine towed cross country (loaded on a lowboy trailer with bunks) and I need to know the towing height for permits and route purposes..I have the specs for the lowboy trailer with bunks. Thanks
why are you measuring from waterline only? Surely the part of the boat below the waterline counts when you are trailering? Anyways, if you want to know the height above waterline, hang a plumb Bob or similar off a 2x4 held athwartships over the side from the highest point on the boat. Use a spirit level to keep boat and 2x4 level. Or perhaps you don't have access to the boat?
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 11:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcheairs View Post
The key dimension is from the ground to the very highest point of the boat when the boat is on the trailer. To avoid huge complications and costs, this must be less than 13’6”, the standard clearance for interstate highway bridges. It is generally worth whatever it costs at the boatyard to disassemble the boat to get it below this height.

Normally boats that are less than 12’ from the lowest point to the highest are safe, more than this requires very careful measurement to be sure. Boats over 13’ are almost never suited for over the road transport for any distance.

Obviously no one can tell you what this is for your specific boat. Why would you think we would know that?
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 12:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
why are you measuring from waterline only? Surely the part of the boat below the waterline counts when you are trailering? . . .
Perhaps because measuring from the waterline takes into account the variances associated with diurnal tides, but it will be those King tides that will be the real hazard.
Old 11-02-2024, 13:05   #7

Often the real challenge for trucking a tall load is when it departs for or leaves the highway or freeway. It can be a local issue of the last mile or the first mile, but the trucking companies have knowledge of their routes from beginning to end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	State legal height limit for vehicles.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	286205  
Old 11-02-2024, 13:50   #8

Reason for this question is that all 1984 -1987 Bluewater 50' Coastals are built on the same mold. I was just hoping that someone else on this forum may have shipped the same model of boat on a 50+ lowboy trailer in recent enough history to have details of the shipment. Yes, I can measure and you are all correct that measurement below the water line would be required. Thanks for the responses
Tcheairs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, cruise, cruiser, water