Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2015, 12:16   #1
cruiser

Island packet 38 is this a good liveaboard/cruiser/coastal...bluewater sailboat?

Well here i am at it again. Thank God for this forum, fantastic people!
So, as you all know by now i am in Michigan.
The Plan:
Taking sail lessons all next summer (Already arranged and 50% deposit paid) school is ASA certfied. GT Sailing School in Holland.

Any information on the school is also appreciated, you can private message me too. I am looking forward to learning how to sail and to getting great lessons.

At the end of the summer i would like to sail out of Lake Michigan and down the eastern seaboard and to Florida.

I would like to spend a year in Florida purely sailing and livingaboard on the hook, and once competent, then go towards Puerto Rico and sail the Caribbean basin and so forth from there.

Is the Island Packet 38 too much boat for single handling? Solid enough for all i want her to do?

Please help, your input, regardless, it is much welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for helping me return to the sea! Where i belong!
Old 18-12-2015, 12:29   #2

Re: Island packet 38 is this a good liveaboard/cruiser/coastal...bluewater sailboat?

Are you really going to inquire about every boat?

There is enough difference between the Catalina 30, the Pearson 323, and the Island Packet 38 that you should just spend more time using the search function, and less time inquiring about boats.

Figure out what you are going to do with the boat and what your price range is, as these boats aren't even remotely in the same categories.

I recommend you start on the small, cheap end. Something you can single-hand.

Your needs/requirements/understanding are going to change over the next 12 months. I promise you.
Old 18-12-2015, 12:30   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Island packet 38 is this a good liveaboard/cruiser/coastal...bluewater sailboat?

I single hand mine, and it was my first sailboat. Once I put in an autopilot, that made single handing it much easier.
Docking by myself is what I find challenging, more so than sailing, single handing unless you get caught is a squall and didn't reef in time is easy.
They are an older boat, well made in my opinion, but with age you have to look hard at condition.
All boats have an Achilles heel, with IP's it's the aluminum tanks that are a real bear to change and the chain plates are glassed in.
10K to have the chainplates changed, and they should be good for the life of the boat, mine are approaching 30 yrs old now, and the new ones are larger and made from a more corrosion resistant materiel, and how long do boats last?

IP's are known to be slow, which in light winds they are, but not in winds much above 10 kts, but they are know to handle severe weather better than most
Old 18-12-2015, 12:30   #4

Boat: temporarily boatless...

I've never owned one but I seriously considered buying one, and I am single handed most of the time. Of course much depends on the rigging and sail plan, but overall I think it is a good choice. One thing that turned me off of IP, and I believe this is very much dependent on the vintage (my price range was boats from the late 80s and early 90s), was that the chain plates were glassed into the hull and thus not available for inspection or easy replacement. So I would keep this in mind. IP also don't have the best reputation for speed or upwind performance, but a lot of that is pretty subjective and may/may not be true and may/may not be important to you. Best, Pete

Edit: looks like A64 was answering same time I was and covered many of the same concepts!
Old 18-12-2015, 12:38   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well Capt, you've really caught the bug! I admire your enthusiasm! But I have to agree, you are fishing all over the lake! IPs are a perfectly good choice too, but did you really find a good one for $15K? I'd worry about one at that price. Hang in there, don't rush it too much, you will find a good boat to take you home!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 18-12-2015, 13:00   #6

Boat: islandpacket

While your waiting for your class see if you can take some no boat required stuff. Navigation, diesel repair maintenance or any other boat related stuff. The knowledge will not be waisted and you need all of it. Its not just the sailing part. Take the classes before you get a boat.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-12-2015, 13:18   #7

Oh, and I don't mean to squash any of your enthusiasm. It's just that the search function often works just as well as, or better than, the "new post" function.

You've got a lot of time to look at, analyze, and consider a lot of "perfect boats". There are already hundreds of threads here discussing almost any boat you will run across, and many forums just dedicated to particular boat models.
Old 18-12-2015, 14:21   #8

Boat: Ontario32

You are getting a lot of good responses as you try and figure out the boat for you. In addition to those that you are reviewing may I suggest you look across the border here into Canada. We have a lot of good and not so good boats here to. At this time you also have an incredible exchange rate in you back pocket with the US dollar trading at a 30% premium. Keep the exchange rate in mind and research Bayfiel 32/36 C&C Landfall series and my Favorite the Ontario32. All are very bluewater capable. Happy hunting.
Old 18-12-2015, 14:31   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew of Turning View Post
You are getting a lot of good responses as you try and figure out the boat for you. In addition to those that you are reviewing may I suggest you look across the border here into Canada. We have a lot of good and not so good boats here to. At this time you also have an incredible exchange rate in you back pocket with the US dollar trading at a 30% premium. Keep the exchange rate in mind and research Bayfiel 32/36 C&C Landfall series and my Favorite the Ontario32. All are very bluewater capable. Happy hunting.
That's a good tip!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 18-12-2015, 14:41   #10

Boat: Ohlson 29

Okay ... I'm going to be brutally honest now.

Just yesterday, you were absolutely 100% sure the only boat for you was the Pearson 323; you barely wanted to hear about the possibility of looking at other boats around 30-32 feet.

This morning, you wanted a 35' boat because you somehow decided 32' is too small for you.

Now you want a 38' Island Packet - for $10-15k?

An IP38 will cost you around $115,000 - not $15,000.
Excluding upgrades etc.

My advice: take a step back, breathe ... and go sailing first.
See if you even like it

Then, have a look at different boats well within your budget and get a feel for what the different boats are like, and what your money will buy you.
Then start selecting (and posting for advice).
Don't go bankrupt over your first boat. Start at the lower end of your budget.

You have a very romantic idea about living aboard and cruising.
Trust me - it's not always fun and you have to look at both what makes it a great lifestyle ... and all the stuff that makes us folks afloat wonder what the bleep we were thinking when we decided this was a good idea

Sometimes it just plain sucks, excusez le mot. Be ready for that too.
I've seen people running from land to boat ... and back to land after a year (or even less), leaving 'the love of their lives' alone and forgotten in the marina.

Right now, you're all over the place and opening more topics then anyone can keep track of
And you don't post all relevant information in each topic - like your budget.
I doubt many people will tell you to buy an IP38 for $15k - unless that was a typo and your budget really is 115,000 instead of 15,000?
Old 18-12-2015, 15:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Right now, you're all over the place and opening more topics then anyone can keep track of
Good point that^^^^^

Part of boating, these days, is learning forum etiquette. Really.

You were kind enough to give us some background, but please don't assume that everyone here now knows who you are and what you're planning to do and where you're coming from. Doing three different posts on three different boats without even providing a link to earlier discussions is kinda, excuse me, plain rude, because it makes those of us who truly care about you retype the same stuff over & over. Like, learning to sail, maintenance, etc. Not all of us "caught" your earlier posts.

Please, please, please, just think about how this internet forum stuff works.

We want to help, please make it reasonable for us, too.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 18-12-2015, 18:15   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Okay ... I'm going to be brutally honest now.

Just yesterday, you were absolutely 100% sure the only boat for you was the Pearson 323; you barely wanted to hear about the possibility of looking at other boats around 30-32 feet.

This morning, you wanted a 35' boat because you somehow decided 32' is too small for you.

Now you want a 38' Island Packet - for $10-15k?

An IP38 will cost you around $115,000 - not $15,000.
Excluding upgrades etc.

My advice: take a step back, breathe ... and go sailing first.
See if you even like it

Then, have a look at different boats well within your budget and get a feel for what the different boats are like, and what your money will buy you.
Then start selecting (and posting for advice).
Don't go bankrupt over your first boat. Start at the lower end of your budget.

You have a very romantic idea about living aboard and cruising.
Trust me - it's not always fun and you have to look at both what makes it a great lifestyle ... and all the stuff that makes us folks afloat wonder what the bleep we were thinking when we decided this was a good idea

Sometimes it just plain sucks, excusez le mot. Be ready for that too.
I've seen people running from land to boat ... and back to land after a year (or even less), leaving 'the love of their lives' alone and forgotten in the marina.

I doubt many people will tell you to buy an IP38 for $15k - unless that was a typo and your budget really is 115,000 instead of 15,000?
You know you made me laugh and you are absolutely correct, i am all over the place. Let's me explain, a few days ago i saw a 323, asked questions read a bunch and i was convince that it was the sailboat of my dreams, and it could possibly still be, who knows, i always said i was open for ideas I have been looking the Pearson 323 a lot, i am convince that it could be the sailboat. It pretty much has everything i am looking for.

But then, someone said that a Columbia was also a great boat so i looked at the Columbia and i liked what i saw and what i read, but still i liked the 323 better as far as what i had read so far.

Then someone associated with the Forum wrote me a private message. In it he introduce me to the Island Packet 38. He asked me if i was interested in that sailboat. Well, what do i know about the Island Packet? absolutely nothing, i thought the Capt was talking about a $20,000 dollar sailboat.

So i said hey sure i am interested and he sent me the info, and the sailboat was for sale for $145,000 cocos. I told him that i was sorry for wasting his time and to thank you for his time and that my budget was 10 to 15. However, before i got his answer i had already been here and had done a thread on the Island Packet. Then i got this iphomeport.com/ one also for $65,000 again i had to humbly apologize for wasting their time and kicking their tires. No more IP for me

Now the Columbia 35 is on sight, it has taken center stage because it is in a marina an hour from me and i will be able to see the sailboat soon i hope. She looks good in the photos and clean, have spoken to the owner and he even sent me the last survey done on the Columbia. lol, i think i started a thread on the Columbia also.

I am confused that's what iam But hey confusion comes right before enlightenment.

I am grateful and thankful for all the great replies and information here.

Romantic? I could be, I am smiling, but i think i am too old to be a romantic. When you are my age and have been through all i have been through you know that everything has a downside to it.

But you are caring and i appreciate all of your advice and i like people like you, i can take it and like it.

Oh yeah what about that Catalina 3...
Old 18-12-2015, 18:38   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Good point that^^^^^

Part of boating, these days, is learning forum etiquette. Really.

You were kind enough to give us some background, but please don't assume that everyone here now knows who you are and what you're planning to do and where you're coming from. Doing three different posts on three different boats without even providing a link to earlier discussions is kinda, excuse me, plain rude, because it makes those of us who truly care about you retype the same stuff over & over. Like, learning to sail, maintenance, etc. Not all of us "caught" your earlier posts.

Please, please, please, just think about how this internet forum stuff works.

We want to help, please make it reasonable for us, too.

You are absolutely correct. I am sorry that i did that. I am still learning forum stuff, i am really sorry, i certainly don't want to make anyone upset. I just did't know what to do since i notice that someone asked a question in a thread that was not relevant and was told to go start a thread on that topic.

So i thought that it would be improper to ask about three or four different sailboats in one thread. That's the only reason why i did that and if i did it wrong i am truly sorry and please accept my most sincere apologies because i seriously didn't know and still don't know.

I certainly wasn;t tryng to be rude i would never do something like that knowingly.

Really, i am sorry, but how is it done then?

And thank you for caring!!
Old 18-12-2015, 18:50   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well Capt, you've really caught the bug! I admire your enthusiasm! But I have to agree, you are fishing all over the lake! IPs are a perfectly good choice too, but did you really find a good one for $15K? I'd worry about one at that price. Hang in there, don't rush it too much, you will find a good boat to take you home!
This thread was a mistake! Someone private message me and asked me if i was interested in an Ip and i said of course without knowing that the sailboat was going to be out of my price range.

When i got the info sure enough $145,000 waaaaaayyyyy out of my range. I felt bad and i told the Capt that i was sorry for wasting his time and kicking his tires.

But by then this thread had taken off.

But you are right just as Lizzy, i am all over the place trying to learn about sailboats. I am frustrated because here in Michigan is snowing and you can't see the sailboats, so unless some brave soul says sure come on down to see my boat i will have to wait till spring.

Can't wait for Caribbean nights again!
Old 18-12-2015, 18:54   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
Oh, and I don't mean to squash any of your enthusiasm. It's just that the search function often works just as well as, or better than, the "new post" function.

You've got a lot of time to look at, analyze, and consider a lot of "perfect boats". There are already hundreds of threads here discussing almost any boat you will run across, and many forums just dedicated to particular boat models.
Thank you sir and point well taken.

It is nice to interact with others also, here and i have also read a lot of info here but not about the specific sailboats that i have mentioned here. I am however going to take you up in your advice and go find that info.

Thanks
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, island packet, liveaboard, sail, sailboat, water