Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2022, 06:14   #1

Four Winns 278 Vista Shower Sump Drain Question

Hi Guys,
I recently purchased a Four Winns 278 Vista. I removed the inspection cover in the floor of the cabin where the shower sump box is located and I see water in the compartment around the shower sump. I did not start taking things apart but I am wondering if there is a drain hole to allow water to flow aft into the bilge area. If there is a through hole drain than it might be clogged. I tipped the bow up pretty far to allow any water to drain out the bilge plug while it is up on the trailer. Just curious if anyone has insight on this?

Thanks
CedarIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 13:40   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Four Winns 278 Vista Shower Sump Drain Question

Welcome to the forum, Cedar Island.
Old 29-04-2022, 04:21   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarIsland View Post
Hi Guys,
I recently purchased a Four Winns 278 Vista. I removed the inspection cover in the floor of the cabin where the shower sump box is located and I see water in the compartment around the shower sump. I did not start taking things apart but I am wondering if there is a drain hole to allow water to flow aft into the bilge area. If there is a through hole drain than it might be clogged. I tipped the bow up pretty far to allow any water to drain out the bilge plug while it is up on the trailer. Just curious if anyone has insight on this?

You might just have to do a more in-depth inspection... perhaps with a camera, extendable mirror, inspection camera, etc.

Think also about the water source. Sump overflow? (And if so, why is that? Pump not working? Float switch stuck or in-op?) Or maybe water is entering from outside -- rub rails?

Wet vac the area first, then watch. Maybe sprinkle some laundry detergent or some such around likely areas to see where the water comes from.

Somebody on thehulltruth.com might have your same boat and could maybe advise, too.

-Chris
Old 03-05-2022, 03:51   #4

Boat: Four Winns Vista 278

Hi Cedar Island - I recently purchased a 1994 Four Winns Vista 278 and came across the EXACT same issue!!

In my case - I used a shop vac and ended up removing 120 liters of water!

In my case - I has an old Attwood 500 shower sump system and it turns out that the inbound outlet to the sump box, attached to the shower drain pipe had cracked and since the inputs on this sump box come into a "shared channel" before entering the sump box - my bathroom sink drain had been leaking out of the shower drain input tube crack and into the bilge.

I also wondered the exact same thing? - does the forward bilge connect to the aft bilge in hoped that the aft bilge pump would help solve the issue of any forward bilge water ?BUT it does not appear they are connected.

I purchased a new RULE sump box with an 1100 GPH pump and am in the process of replacing the old cracked Attwod.

I was down yesterday in the middle of repairs and still see some new water in the forwad bilge - hoping that is coming from the anchor locker drain (it rained here in Victoria BC!) which is currently disconnected from the old shower sump box and lying in the bilge.

I will keep you posted as install the new sump box and determine if there is still additional water in the forward bilge.

I also had to replace the shower drain and in so doing had to pull out the horizontal p-trap configuration - very awkward thru the small hole under the shower which I had to enlarge yo get the pipe out - looking for a simpler p-trap solution for the re-install of the shower drain if anyone knows of one!

Cheers,

Randy
Randy Beres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower, shower sump