Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2024, 04:56   #31

Boat: Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 40
Re: De-masted sail boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartleyg View Post
Also, a keelboat without a mast has a NASTY rolling motion. The usual description is "vicious".

Hartley
Years ago my wife and I went out on her father's 43 foot yacht when its mast had been removed for maintenance. It was just horrible!!! You could not live iwth the extremely unpleasant motion.
John Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 06:02   #32

Boat: Cargile Cutter

I did not consider the weight of the mast in mitigating roll as a counter weight to the keel. I have never seen a mast off a sailboat. I thought them to be light weight as in lifting with one hand. Apparently not. Thanks for all the insight into my hair brained idea.
Cargile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 06:05   #33

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cargile View Post
I did not consider the weight of the mast in mitigating roll as a counter weight to the keel. I have never seen a mast off a sailboat. I thought them to be light weight as in lifting with one hand. Apparently not. Thanks for all the insight into my hair brained idea.
Relatively speaking masts are fairly light. But over their whole length it's still a couple to few hundred pounds. And more importantly it's a long lever arm (much longer than the heavy keel) so the effect on boat movement is large relative to the weight involved.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 16:22   #34

I posted earlier about my experiences using Trailer Sailers without masts at times, but I did not mention my second last boat, which was a keel boat.
I would not have tried motoring 'anywhere' in that without a mast.

The hull shape of the trailable boats was more saucer shaped and I suspect it might have been why they rode well.

The Cavalier was deeper below, and I have a feeling even with the keel it might have been awful even at anchor, so I have to agree with some of these posts, that a mast slows the rolling motion from quicker movements to a slower regular one.

That slower regular roll (but Not the proper slow type you get sailing in heavy weather), however, happens to be the one thing that 'sets me off'. So maybe that's why I was never uncomfortable if I had to spend considerably time on a TS without a mast . .

I can only write my personal experience of this missing mast stuff.. I would definitely turn another 24 - 26 foot TS into a motorboat.
rossdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 18:09   #35

Boat: Tartan 40

The most efficient motorboat is probably a sailboat in terms of MPG. But if you’re going to power everywhere a trawler or similar is more comfortable though with more fuel consumption.
When I motored my boat home from dropping off the rig at the yard to have standing rigging replaced, it had a notable snapping type roll.
The issue with leaving the mast is the air draft. I wonder if you could replace the mast with a heavy shorter spar even with something heavy at the end, but much shorter- to allow modest bridge clearance and provide roll inertia.
Aesthetics be damned of course
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2024, 01:52   #36

You certainly can. If you look around the net, or in old books you can see various small boats, mostly fishing boats, with a short mast and a boom about the same length as the mast. I asked a bloke about his once, and he told me it had been rigged like that when he bought it. If the small sail was set at anchor, it more or less weathervaned the boat and the bit of wind resistance steadied the thing.

But it wasn't a 'mastless yacht'. It was apparently designed like that. Back in the age of coal and steam . . When dinosaurs roamed the seas . .
rossdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, mast, sail, sail boat