Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2013, 11:46   #361

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
If nothing else she's got all of us on the hook!

REALLY???
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 12:12   #362

Boat: Westerly 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
Looks like a lot of boat for the money & it does have tube TVs it appears...
That has to be an understatement. On one site the boat has been reduced to 2.9 million HKD which works out to around 7,000 USD per ton for a relatively new vessel! Wow. Could there be something wrong with this boat?
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 16:11   #363
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post

That has to be an understatement. On one site the boat has been reduced to 2.9 million HKD which works out to around 7,000 USD per ton for a relatively new vessel! Wow. Could there be something wrong with this boat?
Maybe it hit an iceberg???
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 19:31   #364

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

I guess we are talking about the Seahorse Oceaneer 55 in Hong Kong. If you look at some of the other boats in Hong Kong like this one at about 55 feet, the prices are about the same. By the way, these boats are 220 volt 50 Hertz shore power. If you have a motor that runs at 3000 RPM (revolutions per minute) it will run at 3600 RPM on 60 Hertz that we have in the United States, but at least there is no problem with overheating because of the larger magnetic windings on these motors. If you run a 60 Hertz motor on 50 Hertz, the motor and relays are likely to burn out. The extra speed could be a problem. This boat in US dollars is a little less than $300,000 and that's the asking price. I did not see any handholds and that's dangerous on an ocean passage if the stabilizers go out, but handholds can be added. The write up did not say anything about stabilizers. The boat does have a lot of instrumentation for the mechanical parts of the boat, which is nice for safety reasons. There are holding tanks listed in the write up.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 04:06   #365

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I will reapeat myself. Stabilizers are not needed. They are a luxury, nothig more, and an undependable one at that. The only vessel I have ever been on that was equipped with stabilizers was a cruise ship. And yes I have been at sea on small motor vessels, including crew boats, utility boats, cabin cruisers, sportfishing boats of various types and sizes, trawlers, (both the trawler yacht type boats and actual trawlers that trawl) and no stabilizers. If they are so essential, what did folks do before they were even invented? Better to simply learn to tie stuff down and keep a hand for the ship and a hand for your @$$. You don't develop bad habits when the results are quickly apparent to having them.

No handholds IS a bad thing, especially on a motorboat. That will need to be addressed.
Old 17-02-2013, 04:54   #366

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
I guess we are talking about the Seahorse Oceaneer 55 in Hong Kong. If you look at some of the other boats in Hong Kong like this one at about 55 feet, the prices are about the same. By the way, these boats are 220 volt 50 Hertz shore power. If you have a motor that runs at 3000 RPM (revolutions per minute) it will run at 3600 RPM on 60 Hertz that we have in the United States, but at least there is no problem with overheating because of the larger magnetic windings on these motors. If you run a 60 Hertz motor on 50 Hertz, the motor and relays are likely to burn out. The extra speed could be a problem. This boat in US dollars is a little less than $300,000 and that's the asking price. I did not see any handholds and that's dangerous on an ocean passage if the stabilizers go out, but handholds can be added. The write up did not say anything about stabilizers. The boat does have a lot of instrumentation for the mechanical parts of the boat, which is nice for safety reasons. There are holding tanks listed in the write up.

Whether that's GG's boat or not... it looks like a lot of boat at an attractive price. Maybe I should consider "moving up" a bit...

-Chris
Old 17-02-2013, 08:44   #367

I got smart and did a charter. Do yourself a favor and charter first. I am still looking, very hard now that I know what I want in a boat. I also spend many hours learning from others... these sites, books, the knowledge of others has helped in the past, but when you start to spend the money needed to buy a trawler and know it can be BringOnAnotherThousand (or 10k if you get a ship) if you are not very lucky...it is just dumb not to have the help of others.
hazeltine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 14:32   #368

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post

Not sure what you are trying to say about the genset here.

Vessel is likely to have a 1500rpm genset (220/240V) putting out 50 hertz. If it was a 110V genset it would be running at 1800rpm to put out 60htz. The lighter 3000/3600 rpm gensets often used on small vessels would simply not be considered for this type of vessel.

Plugging into shore supply at 60 HTZback in USA would certainly need a transformer fitted. Not a big issue.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 15:19   #369

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I agree with you, Growly, that stablizers are a bit of a luxury but having done a fair bit of offshore cruising and deliveries with and without them, I would vote to install them before leaving on a passage assuming it if doable financially, particularly with youngsters aboard.
If GG is planning on shipping her boat to the east coast, probably not necessary but if planning a bluewater cruise even halfway, I would be inclined to have them aboard. They make a big difference on power vessels, not really that big a deal on sail. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 15:45   #370

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Would flopper stoppers be adequate for dampening motion while anchoring out?
Old 17-02-2013, 15:54   #371

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
And while underway
Flopper Stoppers
Old 17-02-2013, 15:59   #372

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post

They would help at anchor, yes. I assume you are talking about paravane type stabilizers such as are used on shrimp boats. Unlike fin-type hydraulic stabilizers, there isn't much that can go wrong with them. Of course you need a mast and outriggers and staywires and such. Whether the difference is worth it is another question, but they do make a difference. I don't see how fin type stabilizers could help much, at anchor or drifting.

Paravane stabilizers come with a slight speed penalty due to increased drag. Fin type stabilizers, not so much, I am guessing.
Old 17-02-2013, 16:03   #373

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
And while underway
Flopper Stoppers
Pics of the ones from above website

Old 17-02-2013, 17:08   #374

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Used a paravane type trolling off Vancouver Island in the 60's and 70's... they did stop alot of the roll but in a head on buck put one hell of alot of strain on the rig which was also supporting our trolling set up. With a beam sea, not so much... depended on the interval and wave steepness. Great set up for anchoring, though... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 17:25   #375

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post

Plugging into shore supply at 60 HTZback in USA would certainly need a transformer fitted. Not a big issue.
I was talking about the 50-Hertz problem and rotational speed of electrical motors. Certainly a transformer would be needed, but it has to be an isolation transformer without shared windings with a step up from about 115 volts single phase to 220 volts single phase. There may be issues about speed of electrical motors; like clothes dryer would run so fast it would not tumble properly. Probably an air conditioner would be all right. I doubt that the equipment would be old enough that timers would be dependent on alternating current frequency. Not sure about battery charger. Probably not a problem, but a careful assessment should be done. What about a microwave or TV set?

By the way, this boat already has an isolation transformer of 10,000 watts. I wonder if it has tapped windings that allow for voltage step up. Maybe the manufacturer would know. Another issue that needs to be checked is converting everything to 115 volts. The amps would double for the same power and the wiring might not be heavy enough gauge to handle twice the amps. Again, the manufacturer would know. It could also be that the manufacturer would know if the electrical appliances are compatable with 60 Hertz if 50 Hertz was the intended shore frequency.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle