Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2013, 12:08   #16

Re: Captain Recommendation

Painting is not hard... when done hastily. Prep is important and sanding bottoms is pretty nasty and you need full on protection. Painting you just breathe the nasty fumes... probably with biocides in them. If painting is not too expensive it's a job you can do but one which is better if the someone else does it.

Any delivery captain worth his salt will go over the vessel with a fine toothed comb and have things repaired as necessary including adding spares and tools and of course provisions and emergency gear.. such as an inspected life raft... especially for any offshore passages.

You can go outside and pop in at a few places and need not do one run non stop. And if you do you will get to experience docking... and likely topping off the fuel.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 16:55   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
FL taxes etc in the event the boat does not leave FL within 30 days of purchase.
Is that right? If the boat doesn't leave within 30 days they slap you with there tax? Then, I assume you would have to pay again when you get home?

How would they know that the boat didn't leave?
Old 25-08-2013, 17:13   #18

Boat: Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
That's the really neat part. The burden of proof is on you to prove you have left the state. Guilty until you prove your innocence.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 17:26   #19

Quote:
Is that right? If the boat doesn't leave within 30 days they slap you with there tax? Then, I assume you would have to pay again when you get home?

The deal with buying a boat in FL is that you have a 30 day grace period before it needs to be registered. During those 30 days, if you have the bill of sale on board, you can sail her. 30 days after purchase, you need a current registration. To get the registration, you need to pay the sales tax.

If you get stopped by the Coast Guard, Harbormaster, etc. after the 30 days & you are found to be operating without a current registration, then you are in trouble. I don't know the prescribed penalty, but you can look it up on the Florida state motor vehicle website.

I know a few good captains in the Miami area. One of them is at his summer place in Cape Cod right now. What kind of boat are you looking to get delivered & where is it now?
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 19:51   #20

GG:
Read the recent thread on Trawlerworld entitled "Needing some opinions".
It is about this issue and is well discussed.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 05:37   #21

To be clear, the "issue" in the thread is FL taxes etc.
Old 26-08-2013, 13:45   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
GG:
Read the recent thread on Trawlerworld entitled "Needing some opinions".
It is about this issue and is well discussed.
ok, I will
Old 27-08-2013, 07:35   #23

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

If the boat needs below the water line work the purchase agreement.

I have painted the bottom of the eagle. Yards require vacume attached to sand so is .ot the dusty dirty. Rather than pay rthe high yard rate I hire temporary hour grunt workers. The hardest is the applying rolling the bottom paint as it twice as heavy as dirt paint as i do not thin down which the yards tend to do. I also have the hull pressure washed at least two times as they tend to miss area and after drying you can see the areas missed and its less prep work.

You might get by with pressure washing the growth off and do the painting in you area. I do not trust brokers and yards. Also ask about yards as I would only pull at yards that I a.d others can work on the boat. I would not sign until the boat is ready to make the trip as you might have to wait month to have work done.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 07:45   #24

Most yards in this area (Massachusetts) either do not permit owners to paint bottoms ("environmental") or simply will not permit contract labor without unrealistic conditions and or fees. The yards simply have you by the "____s" ( apply your own genitalia here!!).
Old 27-08-2013, 15:35   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
If the boat needs below the water line work the purchase agreement.

I have painted the bottom of the eagle. Yards require vacume attached to sand so is .ot the dusty dirty. Rather than pay rthe high yard rate I hire temporary hour grunt workers. The hardest is the applying rolling the bottom paint as it twice as heavy as dirt paint as i do not thin down which the yards tend to do. I also have the hull pressure washed at least two times as they tend to miss area and after drying you can see the areas missed and its less prep work.

You might get by with pressure washing the growth off and do the painting in you area. I do not trust brokers and yards. Also ask about yards as I would only pull at yards that I a.d others can work on the boat. I would not sign until the boat is ready to make the trip as you might have to wait month to have work done.
Gotcha! Get the work done before it closes officially, so the clock won't tick on the 30 days. But, I don't know if I could feel comfortable doing work on a boat that isn't yet in my name. Maybe its best to just have the current owner do it as a contingency of the sale?
Old 27-08-2013, 15:45   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Gotcha! Get the work done before it closes officially, so the clock won't tick on the 30 days. But, I don't know if I could feel comfortable doing work on a boat that isn't yet in my name. Maybe its best to just have the current owner do it as a contingency of the sale?
Make it as part of the sale before you close. You're going to have a long list anyway.
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 20:09   #27

Quote:
Maybe its best to just have the current owner do it as a contingency of the sale?
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 20:38   #28

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Don't close the sale till the yard work is done! no matter who pays for it ! That will give ya extra time till the 30 days start ! That should give ya time to find and hire a competant Capt and give him or her time to ck the vessel for the trip! Just an idea.

Tags
captain, men