Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 21:42   #76

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Re: Build a Boat for The Great Loop?

I think there is a lot of mental wheel spinning here. You want to loop get a practical well proven boat design. If you like metal I would suggest a northwest aluminum boat. There are many aluminum boat builders in northwest building for pleasure and work, mono and tough cats. The livery industry up north loves these boats they take fast water well and can beech. Easy to maintain and don't mind an occasional slam into a dock or LOCK. economical to run. Too much reinventing the wheel on this site by what appear to be way out day dreamers.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:26   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
I think there is a lot of mental wheel spinning here. You want to loop get a practical well proven boat design. If you like metal I would suggest a northwest aluminum boat. There are many aluminum boat builders in northwest building for pleasure and work, mono and tough cats. The livery industry up north loves these boats they take fast water well and can beech. Easy to maintain and don't mind an occasional slam into a dock or LOCK. economical to run. Too much reinventing the wheel on this site by what appear to be way out day dreamers.
Perhaps, but in this case, building the boat is part of the adventure!

Any fool with a big enough checkbook can BUY a boat; it takes a SPECIAL type of fool to build his own!

^^^^ETA^^^^ I may just adopt that for my sig!^^^^
Old 04-06-2013, 15:27   #78

If he builds his own he might need as big or a bigger check than buying a used boat and while he is building he could have looped twice.
Old 04-06-2013, 15:59   #79

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
If he builds his own he might need as big or a bigger check than buying a used boat and while he is building he could have looped twice.
A lot more than twice, but you are missing the point. Some people actually have the skill sets required to build a boat and enjoy the process, others do not, and cant understand why anyone would do so. Just because its not the route you would take doesn't make it any less valid.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:01   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
A lot more than twice, but you are missing the point. Some people actually have the skill sets required to build a boat and enjoy the process, others do not, and cant understand why anyone would do so. Just because its not the route you would take doesn't make it any less valid.
I'm thrilled that someone finally "gets it"

Don't forget, I'm NOT the one doing the loop (but I may in the future).... Building this boat IS enjoyment for me!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:41   #81
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Building this boat IS enjoyment for me!
folks don't seem to be reading the new tag line at the bottom of your posts.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:06   #82

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

A boat I ran across..the hulls swivel as the rudders, made me think of this thread.

Old 05-06-2013, 13:33   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
A boat I ran across..the hulls swivel as the rudders, made me think of this thread.

Hmmmmm, I wonder.............
Old 05-06-2013, 16:25   #84

I would think this thread would be better suited to the boat design form. You will get more significant input there. My comments are meant more for the person intending to use the boat and in this case not the builder. Yes people build boats for joy also for money. I point out that the prospective looper would likely get more joy and spend less money if you don't build him a boat and he goes to the used market. Yes I understand that practical and boating dreams don't always mesh well.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:46   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I would think this thread would be better suited to the boat design form. You will get more significant input there. My comments are meant more for the person intending to use the boat and in this case not the builder. Yes people build boats for joy also for money. I point out that the prospective looper would likely get more joy and spend less money if you don't build him a boat and he goes to the used market. Yes I understand that practical and boating dreams don't always mesh well.
Didn't bother reading the OP huh? "Him" approached "Me" to help "Him" build "His" boat..... the operative word being "Help"! He is in on the build and looking forward to it. He lacks the shop and the skill set to build on his own, but wants the experience just the same.

He wants to (wait for it, I'm going to use a dirty word to you here) L-E-A-R-N something new to him!

Stop letting your narrow view of what is an enjoyable endeavor color your posts. Just because YOU don't like to get your hands dirty and build something you can be proud of, doesn't mean everyone else in the World shares your view!

Enough thread drift! If anyone cares to contribute, please feel free to opine; if you are a negative, narcissistic, narrow-minded, cousin of a horse... please save the bandwidth!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:15   #86

Quote:
Didn't bother reading the OP huh? "Him" approached "Me" to help "Him" build "His" boat..... the operative word being "Help"! He is in on the build and looking forward to it. He lacks the shop and the skill set to build on his own, but wants the experience just the same.

He wants to (wait for it, I'm going to use a dirty word to you here) L-E-A-R-N something new to him!

Stop letting your narrow view of what is an enjoyable endeavor color your posts. Just because YOU don't like to get your hands dirty and build something you can be proud of, doesn't mean everyone else in the World shares your view!

Enough thread drift! If anyone cares to contribute, please feel free to opine; if you are a negative, narcissistic, narrow-minded, cousin of a horse... please save the bandwidth!
So in other words, only tell me what I want to hear.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:32   #87

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
I would think this thread would be better suited to the boat design form.

I have considered using the boat design forum myself as I do more designing and building than actual boating (so-far).

I have chosen to "hang out" here on the CF because I believe the experience of people who are actually cruising mixed with the numerous engineer types here is invaluable.

Yes, some of the folks on the boat design forum are also experienced sailors. However, my feeling is that the overall viewpoint on the CF is broader and based more on the realities cruising rather than the nuances of water molecule flow or the tensile strengths of materials.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:37   #88
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Let the comments fly!
I just went back and read the OP, which I've quoted above.

I still fundamentally dislike the design, which the OP explains will be powered by small outboards. If this is the case, there's no need to extend the hulls forward, because the boat's speed will be limited by its horsepower, not by its waterline.

The size of the smallest lock a Looper will encounter is no mystery. It seems more logical to design the boat to fit within that space. You'll certainly get more hull integrity that way.

To some of us, hull integrity is everything.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:14   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
So in other words, only tell me what I want to hear.
Definitely not! Tell me WHY it won't work or is a bad idea, I'll listen with enthusiasm. Just saying "it won't work", or "too expensive", or "I don't like it" adds nothing to the topic without the WHY part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash
I still fundamentally dislike the design, which the OP explains will be powered by small outboards. If this is the case, there's no need to extend the hulls forward, because the boat's speed will be limited by its horsepower, not by its waterline.

The size of the smallest lock a Looper will encounter is no mystery. It seems more logical to design the boat to fit within that space. You'll certainly get more hull integrity that way.

To some of us, hull integrity is everything.
The biggest reason is accessibility; folding the forward 15' of the hull will allow bow to a seawall for embarking/disembarking (owner plans to carry a small motorbike), line tending in a lock, tying lines in a slip, or beaching and disembarking without wet feet.

Preliminary calculations look like the main hull will float just fine without the extra buoyancy forward so loosing one would not be catastrophic. The extra length will help negotiating head seas and add hull speed. Very likely the folding hulls will be foam filled, so even damaged, they will not lose buoyancy.

I'm not a numbers guy so the calculations come difficult to me. But what I have done so far looks doable. The owner is retired machinist and has some CAD experience. He is working on rendering the back-of-the-napkin plan. Regardless, there is a project in the shop that needs finishing before any real life construction can begin.