Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2021, 19:29   #1

Aquila 44 coming out of charter / Any suggestions?

My 44 foot Aquila is coming out of charter with Marine Max in the BVI‘s this upcoming summer. Any suggestions from people who have had boats come out of charter that they plan to keep? Any suggestions on how to get the boat from the BVI‘s back to Florida? Anybody have any suggestions on where to stop for fuel along the way?‘

Thanks
Bret
Dr-Captain Bret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 03:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Aquila 44 coming out of charter / Any suggestions?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bret.

See Post #4 in: “Best Route From BVI to Florida”
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ida-78306.html

The Salty Dawg Sailing Association arranged a “Homeward Bound” rally, for boats heading back to the States [May 2020]. Check them out.
https://www.saltydawgsailing.org/

Fastest, most convenient, and easiest route is to go north of Puerto Rico, DR, and Cuba, through the Old Bahama Channel, and ride the stream north, to Florida.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 03:43   #3

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-Captain Bret View Post
My 44 foot Aquila is coming out of charter with Marine Max in the BVI‘s this upcoming summer. Any suggestions from people who have had boats come out of charter that they plan to keep? Any suggestions on how to get the boat from the BVI‘s back to Florida? Anybody have any suggestions on where to stop for fuel along the way?‘

Thanks
Bret
Hi,

Interesting looking boats. What is her range?
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 03:58   #4

Range is about 250-300 miles so I’m thinking of taking a few barrels of extra fuel if I have too.
Old 31-12-2021, 05:04   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:

Thanks
Bret
She will have to come back in a few hops. If you want to hire someone, I know a guy who is very capable of doing it.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 05:19   #6

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Range is about 250-300 miles so I’m thinking of taking a few barrels of extra fuel if I have too.
At what speed? Range at 6 kts? One engine?

Sorry, cannot offer any advice, just interested in the boat. Could not find the answers on their site.

Do you know what a well spec’s one would go for new?

Thanks.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 08:22   #7

New Aquila’s are about two years waiting list. Price is 1.2M loaded.
Requiring using one engine IDK and Volvo doesn’t recommend it (no surprise)

Here’s a review by BoatTest.com
https://youtu.be/0pXTMLrYzEQ
Old 31-12-2021, 09:25   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

BoatTest has a review of the Aquilla 44 with optional 2x300hp engines. It shows a 949nm range (3.6 nmpg) with 10% reserve at 1250 rpm and 6.2 kts. You could probably boost the range by 20-30% if you ran only one engine at 1500 rpm or so while keeping the same speed.

I don't see how you get there at your BVI Foxy's to Willy T cruising speed of 3000 rpm, 17 kt, 224 nm range!

You could run full speed the 56nm from Sopers Hole to Fajardo, PR. With a refueling in Fajardo, PR plus an extra 20 gallons in jugs you should be able to just make it the 977 nm to Miami without refueling (6.5 days). Total duration at sea ~6.7 days.

You could also run 3000 rpm, 17 kt cruising speed from Fajardo to Samana, DR, ~222 nm, and refuel. From there it's about 784 nm to Miami which might allow you to bump your speed to 6.5 kts. Total duration at sea ~6.0 days.

You could also run at cruising speed from Samana to Luperon, DR and refuel there, which reduces your leg to Miami to 657 nm. Perhaps speed could be increased to 6.9 kts. Total duration at sea ~5.0 days.
Cuvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 09:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuvee View Post
BoatTest has a review of the Aquilla 44 with optional 2x300hp engines. It shows a 949nm range (3.6 nmpg) with 10% reserve at 1250 rpm and 6.2 kts. You could probably boost the range by 20-30% if you ran only one engine at 1500 rpm or so while keeping the same speed.

I don't see how you get there at your BVI Foxy's to Willy T cruising speed of 3000 rpm, 17 kt, 224 nm range!

You could run full speed the 56nm from Sopers Hole to Fajardo, PR. With a refueling in Fajardo, PR plus an extra 20 gallons in jugs you should be able to just make it the 977 nm to Miami without refueling (6.5 days). Total duration at sea ~6.7 days.

You could also run 3000 rpm, 17 kt cruising speed from Fajardo to Samana, DR, ~222 nm, and refuel. From there it's about 784 nm to Miami which might allow you to bump your speed to 6.5 kts. Total duration at sea ~6.0 days.

You could also run at cruising speed from Samana to Luperon, DR and refuel there, which reduces your leg to Miami to 657 nm. Perhaps speed could be increased to 6.9 kts. Total duration at sea ~5.0 days.
Thank you for Great suggestions.
Is anybody aware of any software that helps with routing as well as finding fuel along the way? As I’m not in a drastic rush to return from the BVI‘s, although I’d like to make it as safe and pleasant with sea conditions, Etc As possible
Old 31-12-2021, 10:48   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

Go to Navionics.com. Click on Chartviewer. You can do automated and manual routing. Marinas are also shown on the charts. Most US marinas with fuel include a fuel symbol, but you might need to do a google search to confirm if the island marinas have fuel.
Cuvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 16:02   #11

Boat: Lagoon 41 S2

I would not count on getting usable fuel in Luperon, DR. We were there four years ago and the only diesel fuel available had been purchased by the locals from Haitian fishing boats. We strained it as we put it in the tank and found a handfull of metal shavings. Also, we found customs and immigration to be very difficult to deal with. Friends have refueled at Ocean World and had a much nicer experience. Good luck with your trip!
Library70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 17:59   #12

Love the Aquila 44. We were looking into importing one from Bahamas that was currently in charter service.

Got a real shock when we checked with an import agent and learned that Aquilas currently get hit with a 26.5% import tax! Side effect of our trade war with China.

I do hope that you imported to the US back before this hit.
barlowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 18:23   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Library70 View Post
I would not count on getting usable fuel in Luperon, DR. We were there four years ago and the only diesel fuel available had been purchased by the locals from Haitian fishing boats. We strained it as we put it in the tank and found a handfull of metal shavings. Also, we found customs and immigration to be very difficult to deal with. Friends have refueled at Ocean World and had a much nicer experience. Good luck with your trip!

That is why many of us use Baja filters.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:27   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, barlowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
That is why many of us always use Baja filters.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 15:50   #15

I’m a delivery captain, made this trip several times. I don’t recommend going north of 🇵🇷 Puerto Rico. Stay on south side. Stops for fuel May be unnecessary because of prevailing east wind and east flowing current. Several Jerry cans should suffice. Otherwise, Turks & Caicos (turtle Cove Marina or Long Island , BS) are good stops. I run thru the northwest passage between Eleuthera and great Abaco, south of Great Abaco, south of Grand Bahama and around to the west end, wait for a window and cross the stream to Florida.
Capt Steve Murray, 904 557. 6932
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter