Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 14:45   #136

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: Should I be ashamed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I believe that there is a reason for that and that the ones that are in charge of environmental problems know what they are doing.
HaHaHa.

You've obviously never tried to get a resource consent.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 17:32   #137

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

On Vancouver Island, the City of Victoria with a population of about 350,000 pumps about 130 million liters of effluent directly into the Strait of Juan de Fuca on a daily basis ... all I can say is: What a load of crap.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 21:54   #138

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
On Vancouver Island, the City of Victoria with a population of about 350,000 pumps about 130 million liters of effluent directly into the Strait of Juan de Fuca on a daily basis ... all I can say is: What a load of crap.
Couldn't believe this, but it's true. Victoria may be "the only city in the western hemisphere" doing this (a bit of hyperbole, I think, having spent time in Rio):

B.C. premier vows sewage treatment for Victoria — someday | Opinion Northwest | Seattle Times
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 23:41   #139

If you had a hard time believing my comment about Victoria, I don`t know what you will think of this breaking news in Canada ... reported on CTV news cast at 11:00pm this evening ... The City of Montreal in the Province of Quebec was given the go ahead today to dump 8 billion liters (God, I hope that isn`t imperial gallons) of untreated sewage into the St.Lawrence seaway.
There was a hold put on the request made by the city, until our federal government had an opportunity to review the risks.
You know damned well that a new, recently installed government, is not going to refuse the biggest city in a province that was instrumental in helping the liberal government gain power.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:50   #140

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Polux,

Just curious... Where do you believe the millions of tons of "lamas" go? Are they hanging out with the unicorns?
If you don't know it is more than alright to ask but the rudeness of the unnecessary reference to unicorns is dispensable. Here you have what happened to those "lamas", that in English are called sludge:

"Sewage treatment is the process of removing contaminants from wastewater, primarily from household sewage. It includes physical, chemical, and biological processes to remove these contaminants and produce environmentally safe treated wastewater (or treated effluent). A by-product of sewage treatment is usually a semi-solid waste or slurry, called sewage sludge, that has to undergo further treatment before being suitable for disposal or land application."...

Sludge treatment and disposal

The sludges accumulated in a wastewater treatment process must be treated and disposed of in a safe and effective manner. ...

The sludge is sometimes passed through a so-called pre-thickener which de-waters the sludge. Types of pre-thickeners include centrifugal sludge thickeners rotary drum sludge thickeners and belt filter presses.

Dewatered sludge may be incinerated or transported offsite for disposal in a landfill or use as an agricultural soil amendment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewage...t_and_disposal
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:38   #141

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
There are virtually no health issues with overboard discharge in saltwater. The germs and viruses that affect humans don't survive for long in salt water. Look at it as feeding the fish who'll gobble up the Baby Ruth's in no time. Wouldn't want to be one of a million boats making deposits in a crowded mooring field like Avalon on Catalina but then you'll never find me in that kind of place.

Fresh water is another story, however.

http://www.victoriasewagealliance.or...inalReport.pdf

"In this case, the maximum acceptable concentration of 400 fecal coliforms/100 mL can be calculated to correspond to a gastrointestinal illness rate of 1% to 2% (Guidelines for Canadian Recreational Water Quality 1992)."

"However, the few studies in the literature which relate dose–response data for human health effects to levels of fecal coliform bacteria in marine waters find that, at near 1000 fecal coliforms/100 mL . . ., the gastrointestinal illness rate can be in the range of about 5% of exposed persons (Fattal et. al 1987) and non-enteric illnesses (for example, ear infections) in the range of as high as 20% (Fleisher et al. 1996)."
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:52   #142

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post

"In this case, the maximum acceptable concentration of 400 fecal coliforms/100 mL can be calculated to correspond to a gastrointestinal illness rate of 1% to 2% (Guidelines for Canadian Recreational Water Quality 1992)."

"However, the few studies in the literature which relate dose–response data for human health effects to levels of fecal coliform bacteria in marine waters find that, at near 1000 fecal coliforms/100 mL . . ., the gastrointestinal illness rate can be in the range of about 5% of exposed persons (Fattal et. al 1987) and non-enteric illnesses (for example, ear infections) in the range of as high as 20% (Fleisher et al. 1996)."
To give citizens information about the quality of the water on Beaches (and other important factors, like safety) there is in Eu an organization that attributes Blue Flags to Beaches, meaning that they are safe beaches with a water that would not cause health problems.

In what regards human sewage the admissible values in coastal waters and transitional waters are:

"Criterion 10. The beach must comply with the Blue Flag requirements for the microbiological parameter Escherichia coli (faecal coli bacteria) and intestinal enterococci (streptococci).

Coastal waters and transitional waters:

....Limit values Escherichia coli (Faecal Colibacteria ) 250 cfu/100 ml Intestinal Enterococci (streptococci) 100 cfu/100 ml

On Inland waters

Limit values Escherichia coli (Faecal Colibacteria ) 500 cfu/100 ml
Intestinal Enterococci (streptococci) 200 cfu/100 ml

cfu = colony forming units (of bacteria)"

http://www.blueflag.org/menu/criteria/beaches
http://www.blueflag.org/materiale/pu...tes-2015.pdf-3
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:53   #143
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post

The health departments test for DEAD e.coli in salt water and fresh water. The e. Coli is not living because it's been killed by the salt water and low temperature. If e. Coli was as harmful as many fear, there wouldn't be a single open beach in the entire country.

Saltwater and low temperatures kill all human viruses and pathogens except for a couple such as cholera. Which one can only get from a person with active cholera.

If afraid... Stay out of the water. E. Coli cannot survive outside the human gut.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:47   #144
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

After reading all of these 147 Posts......on this matter, I am only ashamed of becoming anally retentive....
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:26   #145

Boat: 2001 Catalina 36

We construct fables to negate our environmental impact. Our raw sewage has no impact , our diesel exhaust, the chemicals in our deodorant & shampoo and brown water have no impact. We can either stay home or minimize the impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dangerfield55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:36   #146

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
After reading all of these 147 Posts......on this matter, I am only ashamed of becoming anally retentive....
Being anally retentive resolves your holding tank issues completely.
Old 10-11-2015, 16:16   #147

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Being anally retentive resolves your holding tank issues completely.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 17:58   #148

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
If you had a hard time believing my comment about Victoria, I don`t know what you will think of this breaking news in Canada ... reported on CTV news cast at 11:00pm this evening ... The City of Montreal in the Province of Quebec was given the go ahead today to dump 8 billion liters (God, I hope that isn`t imperial gallons) of untreated sewage into the St.Lawrence seaway.
There was a hold put on the request made by the city, until our federal government had an opportunity to review the risks.
You know damned well that a new, recently installed government, is not going to refuse the biggest city in a province that was instrumental in helping the liberal government gain power.
Passed this on to a Canadian friend who fired this back:

"The Zebra mussel population have expanded so greatly that the waters are
becoming too clear. All the sewage will increase the nutrients levels,
therefore causing massive algae blooms, therefore making the water less
clear. The algae will feed the phytoplankton which will feed the insects
and smaller fish which will in turn feed the feeder fish for the salmon
and whitefish therefore increasing their populations and producing
fisheries jobs, cheaper fish for the local populations and a better
economy."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 21:58   #149

Yes Stum, we've heard about Zebra Mussels in the Great Lakes ... apparently they arrived in the Great Lakes as 'hitch-hikers' on the hulls of foreign vessels and have been creating quite a problem since they first arrived in N.America ... but I'm not sure how this relates to 8 billion liters of untreated sewage other than the crap is going to make the clear water murky (surely a forgone conclusion) ... or maybe your friend was just pointing out another eco disaster besetting our fresh water lakes in the east ... Why is it I get a feeling that Eco laws only apply to the ordinary 'Joe' ... but not multi millionaire industrialists??? ...
Old 10-11-2015, 22:40   #150

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I amazed at this thread. We have a holding tank and we use it. We empty it when we are in open water.

those of you without holding tanks - what do you do when you are in a marina? Just let it run overboard?

Ever been to the River Hamble? Maybe 10,000 boats, virtually none of them have a holding tank, because the UK does not require one. Nothing could induce me to hop in the water there.

No matter hat you may believe, perhaps you need to think about the rest of us and how we feel about having our boat anchored in your waste.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote