Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2005, 00:51   #1

should I keep my volvo saildrive??

I need advice/opinions on my volvo saildrive. I currently have a volvo MD11 that I will be replacing with either a Vetus or Beta. Both can be fitted to my saildrive, my problem is I know nothing about saildrives. I'm leaning towards pulling the whole thing and going with the standard gearbox. I'm planning on cruising and my worry is having problems with the saildrive far away from any place to slip the boat. I realize it would be alot easier to keep the saildrive as far as a repower goes but I'm thinking it would also be easier to make the switch to a shaft now too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Tim
sailorslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 01:24   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
If it aint broke dont fix it.

Assuming that you have a perfectly good functioning saildrive why not stay with it?
Making major changes to your yacht may uncover problems that dont need to be found.
No engine installation is going to be perfect, and no engine is either.
My understanding of the Volvo saildrive is that it is a very good product, and that servicing and maintenance are well understood.
It could well be cheaper and easier to fix or replace in a place with cheaper labour, and by then you will have a much better idea of what you want.
Hope this is helpful.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 18:37   #3

Tim: have you ever looked into a BUKH Sail-Drive, They are made in Denmark by the same company as BUKH Diesel Engines and you can get parts around the world. A BUKH sail-drive distinguishes itself from others in a number of important features, instead of just one rubber diaphragm to keep water out, BUKH's sail-drive is equipped with very strong double diaphragm which ensures total safety. A sensing element has been installed beween the diaphragm which releases an audible alarm at the slightest indication of water penetrion. All materials-including boits and diaphragm flanges-are rustproof and salt water resistant. If you would have any questions or would like some literature on BUKH Engines or Sail-Drives give me a call. 1-800-923-1672, Don Williams,Alexander/Ryan Marine & Safety, Houston, Texas. YOUR only BUKH U.S. Master importer E-Mail donw@alexanderryan.com
Old 11-08-2005, 19:33   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
I had a boat with a Buhk saildrive. I thought that Buhk did a very nice job with the design of the saildrive unit itselk, particularly since they elected not to use the outdrive to intake or expell cooling water as is the case some other saildrive manufacturers.

The real negative with the Buhk, (besides rediculously high prices on parts, especially their proprietary zincs) and the one that I would say is a deal breaker for me is that you can only use a Gori propellor with the Buhk Saildrive. I found the Gori propellers to be unreliable, short lived and to have worse than horible customer service.

The other problem that I ran into with Gori and to a lesser extent with Buhk is that they do not have facilities in the US that are permitted to authorize warentee work so I ended up up having to ship failed parts back to the Gori factory in Denmark to get them covered. This was expensive and time consuming.

To correct some perhaps accidentally seemingly misleading bit of information, Yanmars also have double diaphram with alarm and I believe that all newer Volvo's do as well. The last time I looked the CE regs for sail-drives require this.

Also, You may be the "only BUKH U.S. Master importer" but Waterway Diesel just south of Annapolis, is a direct importer and stocker of Buhk parts and equipment and a real pleasure to work with. If you were the only Buhk importer that would be a good reason to avoid Buhk in the first place as compared to a manufacturer like Yanmar or Volvo whose parts are available through numerous dealers in the states.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005, 22:23   #5

Boat: Islander Freeport 41 1976
Send a message via Yahoo to windthief
GO WITH WHAT YOU HAVE

YOUR VOLVO SAIL DRIVE IS ACCTUALLY A YANMAR. YOU COULD BUY A NEW UNIT FROM YOUR LOCAL YANMAR DEALER AND POSSIBLY SAVE SOME MONEY.
AS NOTED ABOUT THE BUKH UNITS YOU CAN GET VOLVO AND YANMAR AROUND THE WORLD, BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD.
YANMAR HAS RECENTLY COME OUT WITH A UNIT THAT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE FILLED FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE DRIVE.
windthief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saildrive, volvo