Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2021, 23:43   #106

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: My Rocna didn't hold in mud - a first. Confession from a cocky new gen anchor ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
And yet here we are with roll bar concave anchor, 150lb Manson supreme
Has never let us down in 5+ years of constant anchoring and has held our 65 tonne in 80'knots with a 180degree wind shift and many 40 to 50 as well.

Never once seen a clogged hoop
Wonder if larger Supremes and other roll bar anchors have less tendency to clog because of the larger opening for the mud to clear through?

Our 60 lb MS has occasionally clogged, and often comes up really loaded.

Jim
Old 21-10-2021, 00:18   #107

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: My Rocna didn't hold in mud - a first. Confession from a cocky new gen anchor ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Wonder if larger Supremes and other roll bar anchors have less tendency to clog because of the larger opening for the mud to clear through?

Our 60 lb MS has occasionally clogged, and often comes up really loaded.

Jim
I'm guessing yes.
We still get plenty at times but never close to clogging
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 04:42   #108

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I'd also expect the larger sizes to be less prone to clogging. As your anchor gets bigger, the bits of stuff holding mud together, etc. on the bottom stay the same size.

It may also be that certain parts of the world have bottoms where that problem happens easily, and other areas just don't.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 06:19   #109

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
It may also be that certain parts of the world have bottoms where that problem happens easily, and other areas just don't.
Mud and seagrass will mix together to create a composite similar to adobe. Any anchor is at risk of collecting a ball of adobe that will affect its performance. IME the anchor shaft collects more than the hoop - but the hoop does add more surface area on which mud will accrete; a known weakness in this type of anchor, and one that should be anticipated. If in doubt, put out more chain.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 05:17   #110

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinini View Post
Get a Fortress o0ne size larger for mud and you should be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare Nostrum View Post
What about a Danforth anchor?? I have used a Danforth throughout the Mexican Pacific Coast for 25 years---never a problem!!

I'd have thought a big-a$$ Danforth or even bigger-a$$ Fortress would work pretty well for a Med-moor using your own anchor. With appropriate scope, of course.

The common complaint about those maybe not resetting when tide/current changes direction (although I've not experienced that with Fortress anchors we've had) wouldn't seem to apply...

????

-Chris
Old 23-10-2021, 05:50   #111

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Agree - as per my earlier comment here, I see the roll bar is a 'fix', over an anchor that has weight in the right place, and not that bar that can foul the anchor.

Good marketing presenting something that appears radically different, with the advantage of lighter handling weight. They generally work well - but then there are the situations where those two features become the issue.

I don’t see the rollbar as a fix anymore than lead in the tip of an anchor (which contributes NOTHING to holding). It’s part of an integrated design
That said I use a Mantus M1 which has a huge rollbar (which is very light- so most of weight appears to be in fluke area) and I have never seen it come up even close to clogged. I imagine that’s why Rocna’s have shown much more disturbing resetting characteristics in Panopes videos and other tests
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 17:43   #112

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Mud and seagrass will mix together to create a composite similar to adobe. Any anchor is at risk of collecting a ball of adobe that will affect its performance. IME the anchor shaft collects more than the hoop - but the hoop does add more surface area on which mud will accrete; a known weakness in this type of anchor, and one that should be anticipated. If in doubt, put out more chain.
This happened to us with our Mantus M1. Thick mud in grass plus a 180 degree thunderstorm shift. Huge adhesive mudball that prevented the anchor from resetting until we cleaned it.

BUT: the clog was nowhere near the rollbar. The anchor had mostly buried in the moderate pre-squall winds, but not enough to sink the rollbar into the bottom.

So at least for our (thankfully) single data point of a Mantus reset failure, the presence of the rollbar had nothing to do with the anchor clogging.

Dan
Off Trail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rocna