Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 06:38   #451
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Just to be accurate (but I am sure you already know this), Donald R was just repeating a saying that has been around for many many years - somehow the mainstream media has got this idea it is an original Rumsfeld quote :grin:
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 01-10-2009, 06:49   #452
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Somehow I feel compelled to ask again what business of ours is it as to what Jessica et al does on the sea?
For those who like to cite that she is danger to others I have to ask what is the REAL risk of another yacht being hit by a solo sailor.
Surely she has the right to do whatever she wants without interference providing it is lawful and does not endanger others.

Rant over.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 01-10-2009, 08:37   #453
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Somehow I feel compelled to ask again what business of ours is it as to what Jessica et al does on the sea?...
Perhaps it’s none of our business.
Likewise, how is anyone else’s business how deep my fiddles are?
Quote:
... I am wondering how deep your fiddles are?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eep-30219.html

Perhaps we just like discussing matters of mutual interest, applicable to our Forum. Perhaps the divergent opinions, and resulting controversy add to our interest & enjoyment.
Or, perhaps not.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:55   #454

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Just to be accurate (but I am sure you already know this), Donald R was just repeating a saying that has been around for many many years
What exactly, is the saying?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:45   #455
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Jace, what you say is true... sometimes, in some places... mostly where the life expectancy was around 32... so if you didn't do it young, you didn't do it.

But over all, through out contemporary history childhood has been extended to include the hormonally stupid years, and for good reason... which is why I wouldn't let my own goat... oh wait, thread cross.. sorry...

; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 01-10-2009, 10:51   #456
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
What exactly, is the [sic: Donald Rumsfeld] saying?
Donald Rumsfeld said:

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."

He’s also quoted as having said:

"Oh, Lord. I didn't mean to say anything quotable."

“If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't, I'll just respond, cleverly."

"I don't know what the facts are but somebody's certainly going to sit down with him and find out what he knows that they may not know, and make sure he knows what they know that he may not know."

“I would not say that the future is necessarily less predictable than the past. I think the past was not predictable when it started."

"We do know of certain knowledge that he [Osama Bin Laden] is either in Afghanistan, or in some other country, or dead."

"We know where they are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat." –on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction

"Freedom's untidy, and free people are free to make mistakes and commit crimes and do bad things." [on looting in Iraq after the U.S. invasion], adding "stuff happens"

Old 01-10-2009, 11:38   #457

Boat: Boatless
I was in a moderate gale once in the Gulf Stream with contrary winds. Big waves. I thank my lucky stars that a) it was light so I could see to maneuver, b) the waves (water) breaking over my head at the helm were warm, and c) I was able to switch off with another sailor at the helm every hour. I don't know how you do this alone, tired, in the dark and cold without some real mishap.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Fact, it was very early on. And she could expect ships in this area - relatively inshore and her home waters - so aside from the obvious that it could be just a stupid slip up, it may just as well be a sign of her more general attitude to things.

I made a stupid mistake at least once - in a very (?) moderate gale I let the boat 'take care of herself and her crew' - went down below to get some rest and think my options over - and we got knocked down before I had time to make myself a cup of tea.

Skipper's complacency sinks boats, kills crews.

Sad, but first hand knowledge,
b.
Old 01-10-2009, 13:08   #458

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Gord,

I know what Rumsfeld said - I watched the press conference. Sayings tend to be short, not long and rambling (not to mention, commonly used), so I'm asking what is the saying that Wotname is referring to?
Old 01-10-2009, 13:55   #459
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Gord,

I know what Rumsfeld said - I watched the press conference. Sayings tend to be short, not long and rambling (not to mention, commonly used), so I'm asking what is the saying that Wotname is referring to?
The way I've heard it, it goes like this:

"You know what you know, but you don't know what you don't know."

The context was this: My hang-gliding instructor, an Australian, was explaining to me and another of his students why, now that we had successfully earned our wings, we were in fact the greatest danger to ourselves we would ever be. It really made an impression on me at the time.

Sadly, Paul, our Ozzie instructor, was killed a couple of years later in, yes, a hang-gliding accident in his homeland.

TaoJones
Old 01-10-2009, 14:35   #460

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
Well everyone she is off it seems for her next try at getting to Sydney, although she did it quietly with no fan fare she did it her way, so as to be in control, so guess now we will all have to keep a watch and see how she does, although I think we all really wish her well and a safe voyage.
Old 01-10-2009, 14:40   #461
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
...I think we all really wish her well and a safe voyage.
I think you're right about that, AD, though what I most wish for is her joyous reunion with her family in perfect health, whether she completes her proposed voyage or not.

TaoJones
Old 01-10-2009, 15:28   #462

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
I think you're right about that, AD, though what I most wish for is her joyous reunion with her family in perfect health, whether she completes her proposed voyage or not.

TaoJones

Hallelujah !!!!!!!!

Glenn
Old 01-10-2009, 16:43   #463

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Godspeed Jessica.
Old 01-10-2009, 17:38   #464
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hey Artful Dodger and the others who havent voted in the age poll. heres the link: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f90/new-poll-your-kid-age-limit-solo-attempt-30665.html

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 01-10-2009, 18:20   #465

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Sadly, Paul, our Ozzie instructor, was killed a couple of years later in, yes, a hang-gliding accident in his homeland.
TaoJones
What didn't he know?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson