Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 11:16   #76

Boat: Boatless
We need to 'hold fire' until we have the full facts.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
Old 11-09-2009, 13:43   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheel View Post
... I had no idea that there was such a level of pretentiousness or prejudice here.
... Keep in mind that regardless of age she has more expierence on the water than a few other circumnavigators I'm aware of...
... I like to operate under the belief that anyone is capable of doing anything as long as they put their mind to it. Just because she's younger that about 99.9% of us here doesn't make her any less capable...
Please tell that you don’t pretend to believe that teenagers are as mature, biologically & experientially, as “adults”.
The power of positive thinking is an attractive and comforting concept; but it won’t, for instance, overcome gravity.

Old 11-09-2009, 15:30   #78

Boat: Wharram Tiki 31 Slipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
The act alone of breaking this record is to adhere to a very strict schedule. A schedule to do it before she's too old and a schedule to get back in time before someone younger takes off.

Now, what are the experienced sailors opinions on the wisdom of tight schedules?

Good point,I'm not what I consider an 'experienced sailor' but to My mind if I want to become one then I sure need to have flxible schedules.
Old 11-09-2009, 15:37   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
How did it happen? Because her parents and the authorities are cretins.

And let those idiots that support these fools remember this incident.

Mark
Never made a mistake at sea yourself?

Hell as a parent I was more worried about my kids turning 17 and starting to drive, I was more worried about them getting in a car with someone who was half pissed, I was more worried about them having unprotected sex.
Old 11-09-2009, 15:41   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
But this accident is/was entirely the fault of the girl.
Excellent - that saved Maritime Safety Qld, the Queensland Police and the various commonwealth authorities a whole host of time and taxpayers money in undertaking an investigation. Thanks very much for your help.

Oh and I am not sure about your place of origin but it appears your society does not have the concepts of onus and standard of proof that we operate with, bloody inconvenient to expect the prosecution to prove matters beyond a reasonable doubt.
Old 11-09-2009, 16:22   #81

Boat: Boatless
More facts without judgement:

The pictures of the boat show a glancing blow to the starboard side #2 that took out the starboard uppers, the mast broke just above the lowers or intermediates and fell to port #5. The starboard toe rail is barely damaged #7

I have seen more damage to a boat at our sailing club that hit the poles of a marker; he lost his entire rig.

This is the luckiest 16-yr-old in the world.."a near miss is as good as a mile"

JESSICA WATSON YACHT CRASH | Stock Photography Photo Gallery Stock Image | Stock Photo AAP Image Australia

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
Old 11-09-2009, 16:48   #82

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Jessicawatson.com.au
I won’t play it down. It was a pretty scary and dangerous incident. The sound of Ella’s Pink Lady being scraped along the hull of a 63,000 tonne ship isn’t something that I’m likely to ever forget. But at the same time I’m proud of the way the whole team handled the situation. From my first call back to base everything was under control, and looking back it was amazing to see years of planning for such an emergency click into place.
Wouldn't the SIGHT of a 63000 tonne ship smacking into the side of your boat stick in your mind more?

Unless she was down below and didn't see it.

Yes, I am guessing.
Old 11-09-2009, 16:57   #83

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
I'm wondering here haven't heard much about the ship that was involved in this accident, there is always two sides to a story, why is it they never responded after they have been identified as the ship in question. If they didn't see Jessica how many others didn't they see which are maybe at the bottom of the sea. Seems there are always sailboats that just fall off the face of the earth might it be that they are just collateral damage to these big vessels, kind of makes one wonder. Even with the broadcast of her accident as soon as it did and the response of rescue, where was the ship it couldn't have been far away. Is there something to hide here.
Old 11-09-2009, 17:00   #84

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The power of positive thinking is an attractive and comforting concept; but it won’t, for instance, overcome gravity.
Gord, you obviously haven't reached the 17th level yet...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 11-09-2009, 17:34   #85

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
I've requested traffic before approaching the main shipping channel approaching Moreton Bay traveling N-S at night with an time I expected to be commencing the crossing & was advised "no traffic" from the harbour control. I went down to make a cup of coffee & saw the lights of a bulk carrier out of the galley window. Had to change course to avoid the vessel. I called the ship to advise my attentions & I would to pass behind. I did get a response to this call but no other call prior. There seems to be a very big gap in the use of radio / Ais / Radar to provide safe separation for the non bulk & cargo carriers & not to expect any service from any Harbour control!!
It really puts the responsibility on us as operators of small crafts. The above was a reminder that you have to be always on watch.
Don't feel warm & fuzzy just because you are on the "right frequency" & made the right calls!!

Regards Bill
Old 11-09-2009, 18:34   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I'm wondering here haven't heard much about the ship that was involved in this accident, there is always two sides to a story
The problem is we have no new real information but a lot of new specualtion. The topic is hotter than the real data will support. This in turn leads to the wide field of responses. Sooner or later we will cliose the thread. It's lasted longer than expected so far.
Old 11-09-2009, 18:42   #87

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
I am fairly new to this group of folks but I had no idea that there was such a level of pretentiousness or prejudice here.
Welcome, there most certainly is, unfortunately, but don't let that stop you.
Old 11-09-2009, 18:46   #88

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
I had no idea that there was such a level of pretentiousness or prejudice here.

And that is different from which other group of humans?
Old 11-09-2009, 18:57   #89

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
GROUP HUG
Old 11-09-2009, 18:58   #90

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
I'm wondering here haven't heard much about the ship that was involved in this accident, there is always two sides to a story, why is it they never responded after they have been identified as the ship in question. If they didn't see Jessica how many others didn't they see which are maybe at the bottom of the sea. Seems there are always sailboats that just fall off the face of the earth might it be that they are just collateral damage to these big vessels, kind of makes one wonder. Even with the broadcast of her accident as soon as it did and the response of rescue, where was the ship it couldn't have been far away. Is there something to hide here.
Quote:
Collision ship's tracker turned off

Daniel Crow | September 11, 2009

Article from: The Australian
THE China-registered ship that hit aspiring round-the-world teenage sailor Jessica Watson off the Queensland coast in the middle of the night has switched off the transponder that allows it to be tracked.

Collision ship's tracker turned off | The Australian
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson