Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2009, 07:00   #676

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Mate - Im not the one making rules, I dont really care - its none of my business. I have no desire to make rules for other people.
And that is what separates land lubbers from real full time cruisers. We are tired of bureaucrats, condo committees and everybody else telling us what we have to do _ "for our own good." We have enough troubles with Mother Nature, we don't need added grief from land folk.
Old 17-10-2009, 13:46   #677

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
That is to say do pink boats sink easier than white boats? Seems a foolish argument in that light so maybe the issue is really not important.

Actually, my point wasn't about the boat or the color pink, (sorry) I am not very articulate, but that doesn't seem to stop me from commenting

My point was..hmm what was it again? Oh yea, Jessica's mind set. She stated to the world "this is what I am - the youngest ever to RTW". Well, I have parents that circumnavigated. A close family friend Charles solo'd around the world. I know at least three other solo circumnavigators. What I am getting at is - circumnavigators are not new to me and I have found a certain commonality about them, though they have different personalities and skill levels, and each sailed their boats very differently. The commonality was that they focused on the capability of their vessel not how the vessel looked. I think this is a natural trait of the serious offshore sailor because they realize that the vessel is their life line, if the vessel isnt up to the challenge then they too will fail. I saw that trait in Zac but I do not see this trait in Jessica. That is all I was trying to say.

For me, my biggest fear about this trip of hers, next to her hurting herself or another person, is the publicity this is giving single-handing. The talk of rules and laws worry me. I like the low profile we single-handers have enjoyed so far. There are questions that single-handers cannot adequately answer, the biggest one is how can a single-hander keep a proper watch 24/7? The answer is, we can't - and sooner or later society will want to regulate us. Bummer.

Erika
Old 17-10-2009, 15:28   #678

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Well, I have parents that circumnavigated.
Hey, Ocean Girl has cool parents! Maybe even cooler then Sarafina as a parent!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 17-10-2009, 15:57   #679
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
What are your rules? If 16 is OK, then how about 13? Is a six-year-old old enough for you? Where would you draw the line? Or would you draw the line at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Mate - Im not the one making rules, I dont really care - its none of my business. I have no desire to make rules for other people.
While I am in agreement with Factor on this thread, the age question is already answered in JW' s case. In her home state, she must be 16 to legally be the skipper of her vessel.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 17-10-2009, 15:58   #680

Boat: Valiant 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
For me, my biggest fear about this trip of hers, next to her hurting herself or another person, is the publicity this is giving single-handing. The talk of rules and laws worry me. I like the low profile we single-handers have enjoyed so far. There are questions that single-handers cannot adequately answer, the biggest one is how can a single-hander keep a proper watch 24/7? The answer is, we can't - and sooner or later society will want to regulate us. Bummer.

Erika
Exactly Correct - yet again!

Except, sadly, I think your fears have been realized. Society is already trying to regulate this Watson girls endeavors and the 13 year old Dutch girl is now under some sort of "state care and control".
Old 17-10-2009, 16:36   #681

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Its inevitable anyway...but I agree these high profile cases speed it up..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 17-10-2009, 17:18   #682

Yachting FAIL - Jessica Watson

In such a poor boat, with such a low limit of positive stability. A Contessa 32 would have been a better choice. I wonder a boat like the S&S 34 has such a cult following in Australia. Its average in every possible way. With all that excessive weight onboard for her safety, I do believe she is sailing in her tomb. The poor self righting ability of such a small yacht and her lack experience will lead to her failure in the first storm.
Old 17-10-2009, 18:27   #683
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Hey, Ocean Girl has cool parents! Maybe even cooler then Sarafina as a parent!
Heh. not me. I have been officially dubbed 'not cool'...

Actually my daughter and one of her friends has been following this whole debate from a safe distance and think it's all pretty amazingly stupid...

but they say they love me even if I am no longer cool ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 18-10-2009, 06:51   #684
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

AIS shows her back in port: Port of Sydney - all ships live - vesseltracker.com Look down the right side and click on Pink Lady. She's come back into N. Sydney.

TaoJones
Old 18-10-2009, 07:00   #685

Boat: PETERSON 44
I think she went out of ais range and the program is defaulting to her home port.
Old 18-10-2009, 07:06   #686

Wow, that is neat - you can zoom in using the hybrid map and see what slip she is in. From all the other boats around that seems to be a very busy boating area.
Any news reports on why she is back in port?
Old 18-10-2009, 07:12   #687
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I think she went out of ais range and the program is defaulting to her home port.
I suppose that's possible, sabray. I hope that's all it is. Seems like that would overwhelm the system, though, eventually.

EDIT: The website for Andrew Short Marine does show the location of Ferguson's Boatshed Marina as that same location as her vessel on the AIS display. She had been berthed at Andrew Short's marina prior to her departure.

TaoJones
Old 18-10-2009, 07:45   #688

I didn't think that was possible as the AIS system should only display "actively" broadcasting units and the lat/longs contained in the signal being broadcast. Turned off AIS units should not show up or the maps would be severely cluttered.
Old 18-10-2009, 07:56   #689
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Check that that AIS website is actually working and not showing positions from 24 hrs ago.

She might just be buying her parrot a beer? Do parrots have to be over 18 to drink?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 18-10-2009, 08:01   #690
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Earlier this morning, I saw her boat on the AIS website, heading approximately ESE at 3.3 kts. The screen didn't have a scale, but she looked to be well offshore. Then, twenty minutes later, the "blip" disappeared. I assume it was because she had traveled out of the AIS "box".

Tags
jessica watson