Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2020, 02:37   #76

Boat: Discovery 50
Re: Yachties deported from NZ

Just as an example let's transpose Fiji and the Germans' boat to the Caribbean.

The Germans are in St Lucia - hurricane season is coming and they want to go to the US to see out hurricane season in Maine. They apply for entry into the US (even though entry from St Lucia into the US is explicitly forbidden) and set sail before they hear back from the US immigration authorities .The voyage will take more than 14 days so they can self-isolate during that period and therefore, according to some folk, they will pose no Covid threat at all.

Upon arrival in the US how do you think the US immigration authorities are going to react ? Do you think they are going to welcome them with open arms ? Of course they won't - they will turn them away (at best) or lock them up (more likely) for an extended period of time before deporting them (at the cruisers cost).

Those who are criticising the NZ Government should get real - we live in unusual times.
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:29   #77

Boat: Westerly Sealord

meanwhile... back in the real world...
Plane loads of 'New Zealanders' arrive back in their ancestral land every week ... coming 'home' from an extended visit to family back on the subcontinent...

No tests before embarcation.... just hold an NZ pasaporte...
Oops... https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...w-zealand.html

10 on one flight....

Sigh.....
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:31   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Why would the crew of a self sufficient world cruising yacht need to share facilities? About once a week they might need to motor a couple of miles offshore to pump out the holding tank.
Get a grip... its Bundaberg.... just pump it out on the ebb....
Old 01-10-2020, 03:33   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
meanwhile... back in the real world...
Plane loads of 'New Zealanders' arrive back in their ancestral land every week ... coming 'home' from an extended visit to family back on the subcontinent...

No tests before embarcation.... just hold an NZ pasaporte...
Oops... https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...w-zealand.html

10 on one flight....

Sigh.....

Mate, these are NZ nationals with NZ passports - what is your point ?
Old 01-10-2020, 03:46   #80

Quote:

Just today we learn that the Victoria'n government has now mandated covid tests for workers in old peoples homes. Considering that the great majority of the deaths attributed to the virus are related to these places I find that both astounding and disgusting and am now of the opinion that the whole damned mess of that state government should be put on trial for criminal negligence.
Not just the state government... the federal government and the owners of many of the 'for profit' facilities such as St Basils and Epping Gardens https://www.theage.com.au/politics/v...30-p560me.html should all be up on charges of something similar to 'Industrial Manslaughter'......

Meanwhile ... let's get back on topic.....
Old 01-10-2020, 03:53   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
Since he used "ancestral land" could he possibly not like the fact that indigenous people are "permitted" to return to their land?

But hey, let's permit anyone with a boat to come in because they have money to spend here. /s
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:58   #82

Quote:
I suggest you look at a recently closed thread... where it is noted that when things became a bit iffy in Lebanon in 2006 during the Israel-Hezbollah War some 20,000 'Australians' back home in Lebanon put their hands up for assistance getting 'home' .. 2600 were eventually put on chartered ships to Turkey and Cyprus.... and left to get on with it...

Happy enough sucking on the Australian welfare teat while living cheap back home but when it gets ugly.....?

That is what NZ is dealing with... dual nationals ... if you are a dual national and living in one of your countries you should not be able to ask for help from the other....

The 'ancestral land' comment was tongue in cheek.... most coming by air these days would be foreign born....
Old 01-10-2020, 04:22   #83

Quote:
I suggest you look at a recently closed thread... where it is noted that when things became a bit iffy in Lebanon in 2006 during the Israel-Hezbollah War some 20,000 'Australians' back home in Lebanon put their hands up for assistance getting 'home' .. 2600 were eventually put on chartered ships to Turkey and Cyprus.... and left to get on with it...

Happy enough sucking on the Australian welfare teat while living cheap back home but when it gets ugly.....?

That is what NZ is dealing with... dual nationals ... if you are a dual national and living in one of your countries you should not be able to ask for help from the other....

The 'ancestral land' comment was tongue in cheek.... most coming by air these days would be foreign born....

So, what’s this got to do with this thread ? All seems to be coloured with a degree of racism to me.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:34   #84

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DINGO View Post
yes we will all go baqck 100 year. If you are american you stay in america , if you are aussie you stay in aussie , kiwi's stay in kiwiland BUT what about the few of us that have decided to live in a different country than what is stamped on our passports??????? In aussie land we have just about the most stupid State leaders and yes they think they can in fact declare independence from australia. is a big worry to life in a country that is just about going back to WW2 times. I want to immigrate to the USA if Joe becomes President , i think it will be nice to life under his government , free money , free greencard , happy days.
Quote:
Get a grip... its Bundaberg.... just pump it out on the ebb....
I was being nice, appreciate it whilst it lasts.

There are a lot of Australians actually in Australia who are suffering because they have been unnecessarily separated from their families because of the state government border closures.

A lot of petroleum and mining operations are fly on/fly out crewed. Consequently a production operator working on an offshore platform on the North West Shelf offshore Western Australia who lives in Victoria would need to cross two state borders to get home for their leave period. Because of the border closures some of them have not been able to do so and consequently separated from their families for months now.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:54   #85

Boat: Gazelle, 25ft. Ganley 44ft

My Wife is about to leave for home from Turkey ( back to work) she must take a test prior to boarding the plane and again on arrival to Nz on entering isolation. I will sail home once I have finished preparations for my passage taking into account where I can and can't go. This basically means I need to be pretty much self sufficient in all areas. I don't expect nor require countries to open their doors to me although I am sure in an emergency help would be there... I am well aware of border requirements and restrictions and quite honestly would rather face the seas than attract the ire of any nation who tells me don't come. NZ is not a soft option and our Government does for its people what any nation would expect. I am a very proud Kiwi and having served my country for 35 years would gladly do so again. You can rag on my country both government and people, but you have know bloody idea being to o busy emasculating yourselves with your self righteous self serving ideals.
Chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 14:45   #86

Quote:
So, what’s this got to do with this thread ? All seems to be coloured with a degree of racism to me.
I can assure you that any actions by either the various New Zealand and Australian governments or governmental authorities are completely free of any racial content it being an issue that both countries are ever watchful of and vigorously act against if it becomes apparent.

However this does not preclude actions by individuals who will attempt to use the issue for their own selfish ends in pursuit of personal and political agendas. One of the most common of these agendas being the shut down of debate on any subject the individual disagrees with.

I know you are a great guy, gal or other of naturally undefined gender and this of course was never your intent but these days we have to be very careful in these matters.
Old 01-10-2020, 14:49   #87

Quote:
I can assure you that any actions by either the various New Zealand and Australian governments or governmental authorities are completely free of any racial content it being an issue that both countries are ever watchful of and vigorously act against if it becomes apparent.

However this does not preclude actions by individuals who will attempt to use the issue for their own selfish ends in pursuit of personal and political agendas. One of the most common of these agendas being the shut down of debate on any subject the individual disagrees with.

I know you are a great guy, gal or other of naturally undefined gender and this of course was never your intent but these days we have to be very careful in these matters.

Sorry you have the wrong person - suggest you direct your comments to the poster who I was replying to.
Old 01-10-2020, 15:44   #88

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

You are quite vigorous at casting your support behind your government.

Now look. We lived in NZ. Agreed, no racial attitudes there.

But we have also visited Australia - Queensland and NT, anywhere from Cairns to Darwin. Frankly, while I trust you on today's AUS government having no racial bias, I do not think enough has been done there to repair the damage done by previous governments as well as by past generations of white citizens.

This is to say I would not put NZ and AUS into the same basket - as far as racism issues are being mentioned.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:16   #89

Boat: Retired from CF

No rasism in Australia , of course not. Today Australia announced a travel bubble with NZ so NZ people can come to NSW and the NT to spend their kiwi dollars here in OZ. Unfortunately in the same news segment the Princess Jacinda mentioned trhat she warns kiwi's from traveling to OZ and rather have them spend money in NZ. She also does not want any Aussie's coming to NZ. So what the heck is the National Party talking about in regards to a travel bubble with NZ????? These politicians are taking all of us for morons. Words are cheap and sheep just follow even over the cliff. No i doubt any yacht will get into NZ unless money is plentiful spend there.
SV DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 15:29   #90

"isms" appear to be a nutural part of the human condition. Societies such as Australia and New Zealand which strive for harmony and the welfare of all their peoples try to discourage those "isms" detrimental to that harmony.

Tags
yacht