Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2020, 09:48   #106

Re: Yachties deported from NZ

This has been done before. Nothing new...
A Canadian boat schooner Grosse Isle was held by Cuban government/ military whom wanted it.
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...g-in-cuba.html
https://globalnews.ca/news/5144438/q...er-cuba-beach/
https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/las...cuba-1.4324906

I only mention this because of the parallels. But the above should be a separate post here in CF for news to the Caribbean cruising community. In regards to "Pirating" etc etc..

NZ doesn't answer or communicate for 2 1/2 months.Then seizes, impounds levies "tax" etc. That sounds like a predatory practice. Especially after the boat makes it all the way in. interesting for sure. Sounds like someone in NZ government wants that boat. Seems to be the Downunder "style". Or at least gov't procedure.
Reminds me of the "long" story of the P51 Mustangs rescued from the desert in Australia. Au. gov't stalled for so long because of petty jealousy of an air ministry "bureaucrat" that they were ultimately lost from Australia permanently.
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:32   #107

Boat: no boat any more

please gentlemen/women, let's cut the BS:
2 totally independent issues:
1. NZ regulations, unjust, idiotic,irrational - call them what you want.
2. A cruising crew that thinks they can flout rules for trumped-up reasons*

*let me elaborate on these:
French Polynesia is on the eastern verge of the SP cyclone area, the Marquesas totally so. on the maps cyclone tracks. According to ENSO Outlook – an alert system for the El Niño–Southern Oscillation we have a La Nina event, forecast to be intensifying, which means cycloenes will even be more unlikely to hit PF than normally (during an El Nino event the likelihood goes up). NZ is not totally out of the cyclone area, btw: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/page/cyclone-bola-strikes
So taking into account the risk during the passage to NZ from Tahiti - after all it was still winter - staying in the Marquesas would have been much safer for the rule-flouting Krauts. People like that just make it bad for everybody else. A miracle for me that cruisers are taking their sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cycl_PF.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	224685  
Old 05-10-2020, 10:51   #108

Ok, i cut the crap and leave this discussion. To much disgusting selfish reactions here.
Sailing Hanse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:18   #109

...the selfless Anita crew sails to NZ & gets jailed...
(&btw: in German waters you can get fined if your navigation lights are not approved..."verboten"...)
Old 05-10-2020, 11:25   #110

I am sure the NZ gov't hailed them when they were out 20 miles & asked their intentions. Or was the boat lost in all the boat dots on the (radar) horizon.
I think not....
No, The gov't waits until they come in. And then say. Go directly to prison.
(Which is interesting in itself. Bringing suspected Covid+ persons into the prison system community.)
Imparting a "tax" under these circumstances, is ultimately taking the judicial authority away & imposing arbitray judgement & a fine. AND. Even if you do pay the fine we will "dispose" of your boat in your (imposed) absence as being abandoned.
Mark my words some bureaucrat or his family member will end up with this boat...
Quite disgusting indeed......
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:43   #111

It seems to me that it is their country and thus they get to set the rules. If the aboriginal peoples had been able to do this no foreigners would be there.

They also have an admirable record of protecting their citizens from Covid. One that I wish the president of where I live paid attention to.

This also says it well:
Just because one is a cruiser, does not give one any special rights or permissions (no matter how some of us feel). With the rise of the nationalism movements worldwide, this is exactly the type of situation that cruisers in general should learn to expect.
jfyiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:43   #112

has none of you questioned the very timing of their voyage? NOBODY would aim for arrival in NZ at the end of SEPTEMBER, if they wanted to evade the SP cyclone season. The big "trek" southward starts at the earliest beginning of November, as the timing is a delicate balance between first depressions in the tropics & laste winter/spring storms in the temperate latitudes. The passage is not to be taken lightly, even at a more suitable time: quite a few yachts have been lost on the trip to & from NZ...
Old 05-10-2020, 13:06   #113

Boat: Gazelle, 25ft. Ganley 44ft

Tell you what, you think the actions of our government is disgusting etc, then take a look around outside of your bubble at what is going on with the rest of the world. Quite frankly we voted this government in so it is our problem. Shame whatever you want to call it. First priority is the people of NZ... No one else weather that be health security or finance and in all reality our government said don't come, they came and we locked them up then kicked them out... Any more takers... Your opinions don't matter they are not Law.
Chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 13:20   #114

Boat: Van de Stadt 38'

Good on ya NZ. No excuses, no concessions. Those are the current govt rules. Abide by them or else......... When the covid problems are fixed you are all welcome to come over..
For now: G0 directly to jail do not collect $200
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 13:23   #115

A question that needs to be decided is whether or not the German couple have achieved exactly what they wanted. Their yacht is now in a harbour where their insurance cover will apply. They have a flight taking them home for the cyclone season.

Maybe if another one or two hundred yachts did the same the NZ government would wake up. This process is not putting NZ at risk.

It is a mistake to think NZ handled the Covid issue well. We were just lucky. Every step NZ took followed advice from the W.H.O. There was no independent thought by NZ's health officials. Fiji did far better than NZ and consequently has been able to open its border to yachts.
john manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 14:24   #116

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Call me stupid, and I've not yet crossed the Pacific so I'm coming from a position of pre pre planning a trip.

A Google maps search shows the Hurricane belt on both sides of the Equator cutting right through just above Fiji to Tahiti.

There are several Island from Kiribati to Marshal Islands on the other side of the equator.

It is my impression hurricanes/cyclones alternate from June to November on northern tropics, then December to April on the other side.

AN equatorial crossing twice a year should put you out of danger with less border crossing disputes.

Why isn't this an option?
Assuming that so many borders were not closed, then yes, the region within 6 degress of the equator is cyclone free, at this time.

We are seeing out of season cyclones in the Pacific, at least since 1995. In both May (we got caught in one, then) and in October (sheltered in a marina in New Caledonia, had guests with us). The global warming folks have documented more severe weather events, and the stretching of the seasons.

Sometimes Americans go to Guam (there is a typhoon harbor there, where people tie up).

However, there is little choice in the Pacific at this time.

Fiji did do well with their blue line program. But I think what everyone needs to bear in mind is that it is still early days with the pandemic. Solomon Islands has their first case. Where there is natural isolation, the arrival of the virus is later on, as it would have been during the Dark Ages. In a while, we may learn to follow the Asian's wise example and wear masks, protecting others, and setting an example for them to protect us. A win/win sort of situation.

Ann
Old 05-10-2020, 14:31   #117

Boat: Swanson S38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Same rule for everyone. Apply for and receive exemption before you set off. Not that hard to understand.
Mandella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 16:17   #118

I am a New Zealander living in NZ and I am ashamed of the Govt policy regarding the pacific cruising fleet.I am ashamed about how those German cruisers were treated.And I will be even more ashamed if something happens to their boat ,or they are not allowed to eventually return to it.
worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 16:44   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
There is a problem with the Southern Ocean Cyclone season. Australia and/or NZ are the traditional hideouts though Tahiti/French Polynesia usually don't experience much weather either. If you are a cruiser where are you going to go?? Tonga and Fiji get hit by at least one storm almost every year, Tahiti infrequently. If you're not an independently wealthy cruiser, most are that are out there in 40 plus foot floating condo's are, and your boat is your biggest asset, can't afford or get hull insurance or find a truly hidie hole, you are screwed.

NZ and Australia have shut down their borders to cruisers for no valid reason. With the exception of a fast catamaran or large mono, the boats would be arriving only after a long quarantine at sea so no fear of introducing the virus. In the meantime they allow returning citizens into the country with no quarantine until they are already in country and may have infected others. It's not like NZ and Oz would be overwhelmed with millions of fugitive cruisers as I'd bet the number of cruisers is way down from previous years.

The crime the German's committed is they asked for permission before arriving. That makes the bureaucrats look bad if they allow them to stay.
Complaining that you aren’t able to cruise with insurance and your boat is your only asset means you knew the risks you were taking. Those risks could have nothing to do with Covid. The virus is just something you didn’t plan for. Life happens and you have to be adaptable and self sufficient.

Further complaining about NZ or Australia is just that complaining. Europe is starting to shut down again. 48 of 50 states in the US have increasing cases of the virus. Each country is doing what they seem is in the best interest for their citizens. You have to see what your options and make your best guess what is best. Life throws things at everyone regardless of where or how you live.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 17:02   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragon View Post
Good on ya NZ. No excuses, no concessions. Those are the current govt rules. Abide by them or else......... When the covid problems are fixed you are all welcome to come over..
For now: G0 directly to jail do not collect $200
"No concessions" is not genuine. If you are in an America's Cup team you get in. If you are a family member of someone in an America's cup team you get in. If you are part of a film crew you get in. If you are spending substantial amounts of money on boat repairs you get in. If you are normally resident overseas but sometime in the past gained NZ residency you get in. If you are a criminal originally born in NZ and being deported from your country of residence you get in.

If you are a yachtsman/woman somewhere in the South Pacific you're out of luck. I live in NZ and I want the border opened to yachts simply because its a reasonable thing to do.
john manning is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht