Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2018, 12:43   #736

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: The GGR race, discussion and news

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
The 'traditional' barnacle.... or picoroco... pic here https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...do-central.jpg
tastes like lobster and is rather yummy.....
And even crunchier than Captain Crunch in your brekkie bowl! Another food fad started by your local dental practice...

Jim
Old 31-10-2018, 06:41   #737

There have been a few references to the sailors receiving weather routing info. I thought that was glib until I learnt from another thread that Uku, and presumably others, have a radio support team able to get information to them. That surprised me a little but also makes some sense - they have power, they have SSB. Was this sort of ongoing support envisaged and is it monitored does anyone know? It does seem that, with the difference between the competitors essentially being the decision of whether to stay on the front or drop behind a storm system the quality of the radio support team would be the difference between winning and "just" being successful.
Naughty Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 10:46   #738

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Cat View Post
There have been a few references to the sailors receiving weather routing info. I thought that was glib until I learnt from another thread that Uku, and presumably others, have a radio support team able to get information to them. That surprised me a little but also makes some sense - they have power, they have SSB. Was this sort of ongoing support envisaged and is it monitored does anyone know? It does seem that, with the difference between the competitors essentially being the decision of whether to stay on the front or drop behind a storm system the quality of the radio support team would be the difference between winning and "just" being successful.
Could, if the the weather forecasts were accurate enough. Which they are not..

Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 11:24   #739

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
And even crunchier than Captain Crunch in your brekkie bowl! Another food fad started by your local dental practice...

Jim
Best removed from the shell before eating......
Old 31-10-2018, 13:26   #740

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Cat View Post
I think this is part of the stunning success of VDH vs the others. The difference in weather info was clearly obvious coming down the atlantic, when both VdH and Phillipe Peche followed the perfect line.

Everything except external routing is allowed over the SSB. So you just need a good radio and a good network of shore supporting radio operators in place.

I met Uku's shore support manager the other day. I got the impression she had the boat prepared for him, and Uku turned up a few days before the start.
Old 31-10-2018, 14:21   #741

Boat: Herreshoff 36

Lessons were learned, and as a result of that experience in 70-knot winds and 15-metre seas, Susie has changed here storm tactics. “Every storm is different, and before this one, I used to deploy a drogue to slow the boat down. I don’t know why, but in that last storm, I simply towed warps and hand-steered to keep the boat stern-to and it seemed better. My tactic had been to let the boat sail though it, but that time I couldn’t.”
Old 02-11-2018, 01:49   #742

It's really starting to blow in Hobart now. Tapio is out in the midst of a very nasty system, Susie is anchored in Port Arthur and already having issues with dragging, a 35lb CQR really isn't up to it in these sort of conditions on a very hard sand bottom. Istvan made the smart choice to anchor in Southport. Apparently he has good anchoring gear, and he will need it. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181102-194820_Windy.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	180006
Old 02-11-2018, 20:51   #743

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

All these guys at anchor in Tassie! It's making me green with envy. I should be there too!
Old 03-11-2018, 04:55   #744

Both Susie and Istvan will have caught plenty of rainwater while at anchor. We have had a fair bit.

Went out sailing today and it was a wee bit blustery. Smart move staying at anchor..
Old 03-11-2018, 15:52   #745

Susie has set off across the Tasman and Istvan is headed up to Hobart. Wind has eased off nicely.
Old 05-11-2018, 14:48   #746

'At 1500hrs UTC 5th NOV. Jean-Luc Van Den Heede called GGR Founder Don McIntyre to advise that his Rustler 36 Matmut had been knocked down badly to about 150° which had damaged the connecting bolt attachment to the mast that holds all four lower shrouds. The mast was not in danger of falling, but it was not securely tensioned. The bolt has slipped 5cm down in the mast section and slackened the rigging..
..... He will then effect a repair that will allow him to hoist sail again and make for Valparaiso, Chile where he will make a permanent repair.'

Some one should tell him that it makes a lot more sense to make for Pto Montt via Boca del Guafo than Valpo/Vina del Mar....
Old 05-11-2018, 14:57   #747

His present possy...
Hard southerly over a SW swell... mucky..

Montt is bottom right..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sopacz.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	180193  
Old 06-11-2018, 04:29   #748

I don't get it...

I just watched Don's latest update video on Facebook, in which he discusses JLVDH's mast problems. In his presentation, he makes a weird remark about JLVDH choosing his mast, the extreme loads involved and, quote, "living with the consequences".

What the heck is he talking about? JLVDH SHORTENED his mast. Surely the fact that the darn thing is still vertical and attached is an ENDORSEMENT of JLVDH's decision making process. The shorter mast would have exerted LESS strain on the rigging.

And let's face it, everyone else in JLVDH's situation had their darn masts fall straight off. JLVDH still has a mast and can still use it to sail the boat.

The whole thing suddenly reeks of insurance concerns to me. For the first time I'm feeling a bit peeved by the GGR coverage.

Is there something I am missing?
Old 06-11-2018, 04:33   #749

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I don't get it...

I just watched Don's latest update video on Facebook, in which he discusses JLVDH's mast problems. In his presentation, he makes a weird remark about JLVDH choosing his mast, the extreme loads involved and, quote, "living with the consequences".

What the heck is he talking about? JLVDH SHORTENED his mast. Surely the fact that the darn thing is still vertical and attached is an ENDORSEMENT of JLVDH's decision making process. The shorter mast would have exerted LESS strain on the rigging.

And let's face it, everyone else in JLVDH's situation had their darn masts fall straight off. JLVDH still has a mast and can still use it to sail the boat.

The whole thing suddenly reeks of insurance concerns to me. For the first time I'm feeling a bit peeved by the GGR coverage.

Is there something I am missing?
Sounds weird from Don..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:39   #750

More "I don't get it".

Don's just explained how he and/or the windvane manufacturer helped Susie to fix her windvane.

But she's not in Chitchester class according to the tracker. I thought external assistance automatically relagated you to Chitchester class.

Tags
race