Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2019, 07:51   #121

Re: New cruising restrictions in Georgia (USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You'll see that the boat on the left appears to have sunk at a (derelict) dock, and the boat on the right was stored ashore.
Neither of those abominations would have been prevented by ANCHORING restrictions. Again
Nope-the dock was destroyed by Hurricane Irma and is scheduled to be rebuilt this summer, except that now the owners have to wait for the DNR to go through their protocols before it can be removed. And the other boat is definitely NOT stored on shore! It was anchored for the past 2 years and came loose from it's anchor and washed up on our friend's property. Again, a 6 month process to get it removed. These boats are both within 1/2 mile from my dock so you can believe that I know what I am talking about! I'm not saying that restrictions would solve the problem-I am merely explaining WHY states are looking at restrictions! Unless we want this to happen in other states, we boaters should do what we can to police our own. I'm pretty sure SOMEONE knows the morons who ditched these boats.
sabreline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:58   #122

Boat: 53 foot wooden ketch

First the ICW in Georgia is crap. There are way too many shoals and the actual depth does not come near the reported depth. Second some of the waterway, for example crossing the river near Savannah is dangerous

Offshore from South Carolina to Florida is a much better option if your draft is more than 5 feet
CaptBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:32   #123

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabreline View Post
I'm not saying that restrictions would solve the problem-I am merely explaining WHY states are looking at restrictions!
I think everyone understands why states are looking at restrictions. But what few understand is WHY they are looking at the type of restrictions enacted in GA. Irresponsible people who abandon boats or allow them to become derelict are clearly not the same people who honor 30-day limits, or apply for permits.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 13:12   #124

I am 55 yrs old. I’ve had boats all my life excepting the last 15. I had my sights set on a SV to cruise and enjoy the golden years. Unfortunately I live in Savannah. There is such an enormous potential to build portage and invite the expansion OUT of its pitiful absence of watercraft, live aboards and cruisers. The holy environmentalist so-called protection of what?, millions of acres of marsh and waterways in desperate threat of being destroyed, ( oh! So delicate) and precious that humans are not allowed to thrive within lest they kill the sacred she crabs and other most important organisms. I can not find anywhere to keep such a vessel because you can count the number of anchorages on one hand and forget a slip unless you are willing to pay fees that could amount to a mortgage.
If I were to get a boat I would have to keep it in Florida! Georgia has squandered a great opportunity over the years and has now all but evicted any American out its waters.
Until I can finally move out of this state I am out of luck, or I might say denied my right as an American to enjoy and be steward of the public lands and waters of which should be available to me as well as other water and boat loving persons. It just gets more and more less likely I will ever get back on the water!
Keep sailing captains, Georgia should NOT be on your minds. 🤔🤨🤨☠️
EasyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 15:07   #125

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
States like this are great teachers. They teach me to skip this state!!! Go on the outside here. I use to love to meander through GA and anchor in the secluded creeks along the way. Visit some of the marinas and towns. No more! From now on I go outside. I’m a good student. I quickly learn not to go where I’m not wanted. Ill spent my Money elsewhere.
Nah, don't do it mate. Your visits to some of the small villages you used to frequent was probably a significant boost to their economies, which in many cases may have been on the edge of financial disaster without the help of itinerant yachties.

You need to seek revenge on the urban rabble driving these changes to the law. Sneak through their McMansion canal developments during the dark of the nights whilst heaving your rubbish onto their manicured lawns and pumping out your holding tanks which you have held over for a good accumulation of sewage.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 19:21   #126

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I didn’t read it that way, I read it that you could only anchor in yet to be named anchorages, and then only with a permit, and you had to keep records for one year of where you pumped out and when, which I don’t often do, we go out three miles and I hit the macerator switch.

Which if I read correctly it’s not allowed to have a system that can be emptied by any means other than being pumped out.
Doesn’t say anything about composting heads.

The folks on shore look at the dozen or so boats floating by and blame the water quality on them. No thought to the agriculture and municipal run off, fertilizers pesticides etc. The officials look at the same boats as yet another pocket to dip into.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:13   #127
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, EasyT.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:04   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I think everyone understands why states are looking at restrictions. But what few understand is WHY they are looking at the type of restrictions enacted in GA. Irresponsible people who abandon boats or allow them to become derelict are clearly not the same people who honor 30-day limits, or apply for permits.
Exactly. Just like in Florida, which is undoubtedly where GA waterfront owners and developers go the idea for this, the derelict boat issue is a smokescreen to cover their real intentions: keeping cruising boats from ruining “their” views of the water they are 100 per cent convinced belongs to them.

If it was really about derelict boats, a law allowing law enforcement seizure and towing of non-registered or abandoned boats, the same as is currently done with vehicles, is what they would have done instead.

Just another example of checkbook legislation and laws and politicians for sale to the highest bidder.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:26   #129

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

If this law is really about pollution Georgia representatives need only to look out the windows under the golden dome, Atlanta sends thousands of gallons of raw untreated sewage down the Chattahoochee river nearly every day to flow through all of middle Georgia to West Point Lake where the GA DNR warns not to consume fish from the lake nearly every Summer for years. Atlanta claims it's less expensive to pay the fine than to rebuild the city sewage / water treatment system.
Does anyone think this state worries about a boater pooping in a coastal marsh? A $5.00 permit should be more than enough for a yearly permit.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:08   #130

Location: I live in Warrenton, GA and sail s/v CaiLeigh Anna out of St. Simons Island, GA
Boat: Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBobR View Post
First the ICW in Georgia is crap. There are way too many shoals and the actual depth does not come near the reported depth. Second some of the waterway, for example crossing the river near Savannah is dangerous

Offshore from South Carolina to Florida is a much better option if your draft is more than 5 feet
I’m not happy about this new anchoring law, but there is still time for public input which will affect the rules. We are working hard to minimize the damage.

On another note, it is offensive for you to respond to this thread by saying GA’s ICW is crap.

GA’s ICW is some of the most beautiful cruising area on the eastern coast. Yes it’s different and there are some shallow areas. But crap? No!

And if you are so concerned about the ICW crossing the Savannah River then what do you think of the ICW crossing the St John’s River in FL? Does that make FL ICW crap also?

Basically, your remarks trashing GA ICW are not helpful to the discussion. But I’m sure it made you feel better to write it.
Hugh17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:28   #131

Interesting thread covering the spectrum of ideas.

Seems to me that most people here aren't against reasonable legislation to clean up waterways or derelict boats, but we don't want all cruising limited to selected anchorages by government overreach.

How can fellow cruisers help? Who do we comment to?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:49   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Interesting thread covering the spectrum of ideas.

Seems to me that most people here aren't against reasonable legislation to clean up waterways or derelict boats, but we don't want all cruising limited to selected anchorages by government overreach.

How can fellow cruisers help? Who do we comment to?
Unfortunately, in my experience, comments to legislators are pretty much round filed, unless there is a campaign contribution stapled to it. Getting Boat US (and, yes, I am a member!) to take up this issue and pay off some people is probably our best hope.

The NRA is the best example. Legislators could care less that 150 million Americans are against additional gun laws. They care a lot that the million members of the NRA who send them money are against additional gun laws. (And, please, nobody freak out, this is just an example that came quickly to mind).
Old 11-06-2019, 18:44   #133

Just go offshore, Ga. ICW is a PIA anyway.
ewaldorf38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 19:31   #134

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

I wonder how many of the thousands of homeless in LA or San Diego swim out 3 miles to poop as opposed to just ducking into an alley (or on the sidewalk in Venice Beach) and taking a dump, which the sanitation dept will just hose into the storm dtains.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:22   #135
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ewaldorf.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, georgia