Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2012, 16:56   #481

Re: Merged Threads: HMS Bounty

Sorry reed1v, if you actually believe that being between Cape Hatteras and the eye of a hurricane is viable plan, please never carry passengers for hire.
The captain screwed the pooch and people died, very simple, very preventable.
sailronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 21:59   #482

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
. . . Sailing a bit southeast from Mystic would have lead the Bounty clear of the northeast quadrant. If your on a leaky boat(which includes almost all wooden ships) your pumps rely on the engines working unless you got a big crew to handle large manual pumps.
It gets curiouser and curiouser as the the character in "Through the Looking Glass" mused.

Given that "wooden boats leak" - why would anybody only rely on one source of power for the "pumps?" Personally, I would have had one or two auxiliary gensets handy and capable to supplying power to the pumps besides the main engine.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 22:20   #483

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Two items:

1. The boat sunk due to the engines dying and thus killing the bilge pumps. The hurricane did not sink the boat.

2. His strategy was to pass east of the hurricane, and in fact was doing so successfully.

Best guess so far is contaminated fuel that either fed water/air/or particles into the fuel lines. Issue will be when were the fuel tanks polished. The Bounty was a leaky boat to begin with. There is also the question why the Coast Guard did not fly out high capacity pumps to the Bounty. Maybe they no longer do rescues during bad weather?
Sorry. Not so. Bounty's on board engineer states 90 kts of breeze and 3 story seas a couple of days out.
Captain was trying to squeeze to the WEST of Frankenstorm between Sandy and Carolina coast in the navigable semicircle. Conditions at the time of the rescue were greatly reduced to 40kts.
So you're saying had there not been a storm with the wind and sea state decribed by ships engineer they would have sunk anyway? Leaky boat was caused by the storm. Saying the Storm did not sink the Bounty is like saying the demise of nuclear reactors in Japan were due to faulty planning/manufacturing design and not the Tsunami itself. These events are ALL connected to each other. ame with the Bounty. Domino effect.
Had the $$$ date in Florida been 2 weeks later, doubt they would have headed out. And if they did, it would not be becasue they were safer at sea. At least not safer for the humans.
Old 17-11-2012, 01:01   #484

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Hmmm... I didnt know boats sank just because the engines die...learn something every day I guess! He must have planned on going a long way east.
also, I heard the CG used rescue swimmers...? To them it's about the people, no saving a ship in a patently "unsafe voyage".
If he saw this weather pic and still decided to go, he needed to have his head read. For me, if I have a death wish this would be a good time to go out and "try and skirt a storm".
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 01:34   #485

Boat: 41' Sail

Also, have read several accounts both on both HMS Bounty site and on FB that the generator, which ran the pumps, failed.
Old 17-11-2012, 05:05   #486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jeffry View Post
Also, have read several accounts both on both HMS Bounty site and on FB that the generator, which ran the pumps, failed.
the ship was configured to use the engines to run the pumps if the generator failed.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 06:39   #487

There will be a show on the weather channel on Wednesday @8pm est about the coast guard rescue on the bounty.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 06:45   #488

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAtSea2011 View Post
There will be a show on the weather channel on Wednesday @8pm est about the coast guard rescue on the bounty.
It will be interesting to see if it's investigative journalism or another Weather Channel docu-drama. I betting heavy on the latter.

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 09:17   #489

Here's the link.

LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 14:41   #490

Boat: Tartan 34C

December 5th at 8 p.m., not tonight. The promo is standard WC hype. I hope Ken Burns does another one.
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:45   #491
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Here's an article on ABC News, translated from German, that gives a bit more perspective of what went on before and during the Bounty's final voyage. The description of events in the engine room are particularly of interest: SpiegelOnliine.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:09   #492
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Here's an article on ABC News, translated from German, that gives a bit more perspective of what went on before and during the Bounty's final voyage. The description of events in the engine room are particularly of interest: SpiegelOnliine.

While the article spends a lot of time trashing the Capitan for the decision to leave (like all of us), I also have been waiting to hear more about the details of the engine room/systems. I never believed the boat sinking was completely due to the storm.

I get the feeling from the article that the engineer wasn't a ship experienced one and that there had been recent fuel tank work done.

So far I haven't read anything that suggests the boat was taking on more water due to hull damage from the storm. It almost seems this boat was sinking in general and there just happened to be a storm going on outside.

The sinking and the decision to leave to beat the storm may not be related at all.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:17   #493
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Not to mention that article tarnishes Bligh, who in reality and in the standards of the day was an enlightened captain but could not compete with the delights of Tahiti and its inhabitants,

Dave
Old 04-12-2012, 07:35   #494

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I'm glad the story finally came out. The question in my mind is why would anyone who knew the risk was so high, put the welfare of a ship over that of the crew? With 10 meter seas (33 ft.), I can see how the water filling the ship was a problem. If it was washing over the decks, water has a way of finding a way in. I imagine the broken gauge on the fuel tank being almost impossible to see when a boat is jumping around so much that you are clinging on for dear life.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:14   #495
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Bligh would have ensured he was never in that situation.... If he had the weather forecasting we have today.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, hurricane