Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2012, 06:29   #466

Re: Merged Threads: HMS Bounty

who could have guessed it would be rough seas off of cape hatteres in the middle of a hurricane??
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 07:14   #467

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
who could have guessed it would be rough seas off of cape hatteres in the middle of a hurricane??
All but one, apparently.

The size and intensity of the storm were fully understood by the time they passed the entrance to the Chesapeake Bay. Maybe shoulda had another crew meeting early Sunday?
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 08:01   #468

Boat: 41' Sail

Just a wee bit more than the '40kts' and seas we've been talking about here on CF. as the actual conditions they encountered are below. The 40kt conditions were possibly at the time of the rescue...

Also, not so much a 'navigable semicircle' also as we've been chatting about.

incredible

CBS19 Exclusive: Nelson County Man Recounts Rescue from HMS Bounty Ship

"Barksdale was in for more adventure than he bargained for. As 'Superstorm' Sandy brewed in the Atlantic Ocean, the ship's captain, Robin Walbridge, called the crew to the deck for a meeting.
"At that point in time, I didn't know a hurricane was coming," said Barksdale. Captain Walbridge told the crew he wouldn't blame them if they wanted to get off the ship and he wouldn't hold it against them.
"Naturally, I thought about it," Barksdale said. "But the captain had a good plan to circumvent the storm and at that point, we didn't realize the magnitude of the storm."
Citing the old saying a ship is safer at sea than at port, none of the other 15 crew members opted out either. The Bounty set sail on Thursday. Three days later, the ship sailed directly into Hurricane Sandy's path.
"I knew we were in trouble early afternoon on Sunday," Barksdale recalls. "It appeared we were taking in more water than we were pumping out."
With winds reaching 80 miles per hour and waves three stories high, Barksdale recalls having to hold on at all times on board, or risk being tossed across the ship. A few crew member suffered broken arms and ribs from not holding on tight enough.
Old 14-11-2012, 08:21   #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jeffry View Post
Just a wee bit more than the '40kts' and seas we've been talking about here on CF. as the actual conditions they encountered are below. The 40kt conditions were possibly at the time of the rescue...

Also, not so much a 'navigable semicircle' also as we've been chatting about.

incredible

CBS19 Exclusive: Nelson County Man Recounts Rescue from HMS Bounty Ship

"Barksdale was in for more adventure than he bargained for. As 'Superstorm' Sandy brewed in the Atlantic Ocean, the ship's captain, Robin Walbridge, called the crew to the deck for a meeting.
"At that point in time, I didn't know a hurricane was coming," said Barksdale. Captain Walbridge told the crew he wouldn't blame them if they wanted to get off the ship and he wouldn't hold it against them.
"Naturally, I thought about it," Barksdale said. "But the captain had a good plan to circumvent the storm and at that point, we didn't realize the magnitude of the storm."
Citing the old saying a ship is safer at sea than at port, none of the other 15 crew members opted out either. The Bounty set sail on Thursday. Three days later, the ship sailed directly into Hurricane Sandy's path.
"I knew we were in trouble early afternoon on Sunday," Barksdale recalls. "It appeared we were taking in more water than we were pumping out."
With winds reaching 80 miles per hour and waves three stories high, Barksdale recalls having to hold on at all times on board, or risk being tossed across the ship. A few crew member suffered broken arms and ribs from not holding on tight enough.
I honestly don't know how it was possible to not know a hurricane was coming. I'm 3000 miles away, wandering around aimlessly in an rv and it was EVERYWHERE that it was not only a hurricane but that its "magnitude" was MASSIVE.

Further, the Captain should have mentioned it, and he obviously said something: One doesn't usually ask for volunteers on a 'suicide mission' unless there is real potential danger. The whole think is very, very strange.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 08:43   #470

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
One doesn't usually ask for volunteers on a 'suicide mission' unless there is real potential danger. The whole think is very, very strange.
Hence the reported call home (per the Mother) from Ms. Christian (RIP) to parents about sending them love. When asked by Mother, why.. Ms Christian replied 'in case something happens'.. Chilling
Old 14-11-2012, 10:26   #471

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
In two years, when an official report on this event is issued, it will all as much be forgotten. The CG may have a few stern words for the captain, but in his absence having gone down with the ship, what good is that really?

On a few forums, and on here, if you read between the lines, many people are pussyfooting around the concept that ultimate truth is often found by following the money.

His little speech about if you want to stay on shore for this departure cuts it for me.

If he realized the dangers to the point he asked for volunteers to leave the ship before it ever sailed, when the crew was already understaffed, speaks volumes.

In a day and age when the FBI is reading the head of the CIA's email to look for a mistress, maybe the emails between a captain and the ships owner would shed some light on this situation.

The CG said last Friday, it would investigate the incident for the purpose of promoting safety, and would not be doing an investigation to afix civil or criminal responsibility.

http://www.globalmaritimes.com/pages...?id=6442746239

So it would seem, the final chapter in this saga is already over, and what is done, is done.
Old 14-11-2012, 11:21   #472

This was an unnecessary tragedy, completely preventable. It is beyond belief that the Captain wouldn't have looked at the NOAA forecasts for the track of "Sandy". Even the talking heads on TV were showing the path within a 200 mile cone of probability by the time Bounty departed New London.
It seems the Captain believed the line of s**t he was feeding the TV crew in his interview. Anyone who believed that trying to pass between a hurricane and Cape Hatteras is prudent doesn't deserve a command.
sailronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 22:33   #473

Boat: PDQ Capella 36

Could someone confirm what the captain's actual claimed certifications / qualifications were?
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 22:44   #474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svan View Post
Could someone confirm what the captain's actual claimed certifications / qualifications were?

Amazing credentials. 1600 Ton Master aas well as others I am not aware of. I'm quite certain he had the appropriate credentials as the Insurer would never have signed off on him without them.
Old 14-11-2012, 23:07   #475

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
He also was in pretty tight with the Coast Guard. He was well liked, and well thought of by his peers. The only derogatory words I have heard about this captain, comes from the previous captain of the bounty of twenty years ago. That captain was quite shocked he left safe harbor to sail into a storm, as we all are.
Old 16-11-2012, 10:46   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
yeah... I just dont get it... headed south to Key West in a hurricane? I dont like monday morning quarterbackng, but that was ridiculous...
I guess th is proves licensing doesnt work!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 12:04   #477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
yeah... I just dont get it... headed south to Key West in a hurricane? I dont like monday morning quarterbackng, but that was ridiculous...
I guess th is proves licensing doesnt work!
Two items:

1. The boat sunk due to the engines dying and thus killing the bilge pumps. The hurricane did not sink the boat.

2. His strategy was to pass east of the hurricane, and in fact was doing so successfully.

Best guess so far is contaminated fuel that either fed water/air/or particles into the fuel lines. Issue will be when were the fuel tanks polished. The Bounty was a leaky boat to begin with. There is also the question why the Coast Guard did not fly out high capacity pumps to the Bounty. Maybe they no longer do rescues during bad weather?
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 12:09   #478

[QUOTE=GaryMayo;1084691]

"In a day and age when the FBI is reading the head of the CIA's email to look for a mistress, maybe the emails between a captain and the ships owner would shed some light on this situation."

But, mistresses are way more interesting to look for than saving anyone's lives. Its the "new" and "improved" world order.
Old 16-11-2012, 12:23   #479

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Two items:

1. The boat sunk due to the engines dying and thus killing the bilge pumps. The hurricane did not sink the boat.

2. His strategy was to pass east of the hurricane, and in fact was doing so successfully.

Best guess so far is contaminated fuel that either fed water/air/or particles into the fuel lines. Issue will be when were the fuel tanks polished. The Bounty was a leaky boat to begin with. There is also the question why the Coast Guard did not fly out high capacity pumps to the Bounty. Maybe they no longer do rescues during bad weather?
Hmmm... I didnt know boats sank just because the engines die...learn something every day I guess! He must have planned on going a long way east.
also, I heard the CG used rescue swimmers...? To them it's about the people, no saving a ship in a patently "unsafe voyage".

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 14:33   #480

The C.G. use to send high vol. pumps to save a vessel in distress. Sounds like they have changed that policy to "sink and swim." Which is rather stupid since staying with a vessel a whole lot safer than taking a chance in the water, according the the C.G. But these are strange times.

Sailing a bit southeast from Mystic would have lead the Bounty clear of the northeast quadrant. If your on a leaky boat(which includes almost all wooden ships) your pumps rely on the engines working unless you got a big crew to handle large manual pumps.

Tags
crew, hurricane