Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2021, 12:12   #76

Re: La Vagabonde's new Trimaran

Speed will only help when chasing ahead of a storm. It want save you from falling overboard. So I don't understand how speed protects from a MO situation. If anything the speed will put a lot more distance between the boat and the MO.

So no life lines. This means the infant and child will have to be fenced in like chickens or locked up for 90% of the time. I think the best course of action given the disregard for the safety of wife and children would be to become a day sailor and live on land.

Putting children's lives at risk to shave off a few days on passage just does not compute. IMHO
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:17   #77
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Speed will only help when chasing ahead of a storm. It want save you from falling overboard. So I don't understand how speed protects from a MO situation. If anything the speed will put a lot more distance between the boat and the MO.

So no life lines. This means the infant and child will have to be fenced in like chickens or locked up for 90% of the time. I think the best course of action given the disregard for the safety of wife and children would be to become a day sailor and live on land.

Putting children's lives at risk to shave off a few days on passage just does not compute. IMHO

Speed won’t stop you from falling overboard, speed will cut down passage time which gives you less of an opportunity to fall overboard.
I’m sure lifelines can be added to the Rapido if one feels the need
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:17   #78

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

On a boat like that, being tethered is your defense against going over the side much more so than lifelines. I'd still want lifelines, I think, but more so as an additional thing to hold on to if on deck in rough conditions.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:18   #79

Quote:
My first and it remains my last reaction is safety. I have seen too many racing trimarans flip on their sides. Not a pretty thought with toddlers on board.

Fast yes. Safe, I have serious reservations. IMHO.
It is up to Riley to avoid bad weather and sail conservatively. Part of Riley's rational is the Rapido 60 can be sailed very conservatively to conditions and still sailed faster than their Outremer.

It is going to be interesting to see how it goes. The boat they chose would not have been my choice. Too new design and two early a hull number. The elec. propulsion looks good on paper + increased ability to sail higher and sail in lighter wind but might not end up being practical. I can think of when having less range and less power available my be a safety issue for example when something breaks and being able to sail is not possible or there is no wind.

I wonder if their airbnb numbers will benefit from the new boat? Could be yes, and could be no because they are getting into a sphere that the average cruiser or average viewer cannot relate to very well.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:20   #80
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
On a boat like that, being tethered is your defense against going over the side much more so than lifelines. I'd still want lifelines, I think, but more so as an additional thing to hold on to if on deck in rough conditions.

Would you want lifelines to be mounted on the main hulls deck or the amas?
I could see mounting them on the main hull with safety netting for the kids, if it’s feasible.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:25   #81

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Would you want lifelines to be mounted on the main hulls deck or the amas?
I could see mounting them on the main hull with safety netting for the kids, if it’s feasible.

I would think on the main hull with gates to allow access outboard to the trampolines and amas. It looks like the amas have storage areas in them, so maybe something around the storage hatch on each ama to make it easier / safer to get stuff in and out of there.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:27   #82
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I would think on the main hull with gates to allow access outboard to the trampolines and amas. It looks like the amas have storage areas in them, so maybe something around the storage hatch on each ama to make it easier / safer to get stuff in and out of there.

I think that would be a good idea
Old 11-06-2021, 12:49   #83

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
My first and it remains my last reaction is safety. I have seen too many racing trimarans flip on their sides. Not a pretty thought with toddlers on board.

Fast yes. Safe, I have serious reservations. IMHO.

Perhaps in sailing magazines or youtube, you have. This is a fast Tri but by no means a racing Tri.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:04   #84

Boat: Tartan 40

Also trimarans unlike catamaran do heel some both indicating load and also spilling some of the force of the wind. So I imagine capsize of a performance cruising tri may be easier to prevent?
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:39   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
...trimarans unlike catamaran do heel some both indicating load and also spilling ...
Cats do heel and spill wind....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GB6801.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	240198  
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 04:58   #86

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
For me investing between $0.75M to $1M into a boat isn't something I can do every few years. If I'm lucky, I can do this only once in my lifetime, so it makes sense to do it right. You might have it easier to redo these kind of choices every few years. Good for you.
Remember to sell the previous ones! I've heard anecdotal evidence of the Outremers having a good second-hand value in general.
Old 13-06-2021, 09:35   #87

Boat: Lagoon 42

nextis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 20:41   #88

I think that the biggest reason for these two to step "up" to this boat is to bump their viewership (on u-tube). They lost a lot of viewers (when they had their baby) and not everyone wants babies. We, after all,subscribe & follow so we can live out our dreams thru them. I suspect that they are having a harder time getting back their viewership and finances now that there are babies( they lost my watching and subscriber ship) and its hard to lose that income. I think they are stepping beyond their reach and suspect it will catch up soon.. The same thing happened on DELOS for me when the baby came, and brady and blu left. I followed them for years then BOOM ...over. When you have a good thing and it affects your finances and quality of life... you can't mess with the system. DON"T change anything. I don't think the boat is a good choice either but like I said I think it's about the viewership. I suspect inside 4 years it will be a 40 year old mono, but all the power to them.
justlearnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:16   #89

Riley just wants to sail fast.
t3c9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:24   #90

Boat: Dragonfly 920 / 30 ft

I think it's a fantastic boat for them and their viewers. Its speed allows them to island-hop even faster than they did before, whereas other boats spend weeks on water just get a bit of distance behind. With my trimaran even in lighter winds you can easily do 60nm in a day trip leaving after breakfast and arriving before dinner.
Simon.Sails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran