Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2016, 08:42   #1891

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
( I still say ice breakers play a larger role than ppl are willing to admit or accept)
I still say you are wrong, so does NSIDC

Quote:
In total, researchers estimate that the number of icebreakers traversing the Arctic at any given time is usually less than three. So, Meier said, “The actual contribution is miniscule—only one part in a million of the total ice cover.”
https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/iceligh...anging-climate

But what do they know? They only study Arctic ice conditions.
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 30-06-2016, 09:29   #1892

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I disagree with many conservatives, I am dismissive of the willfully ignorant, regardless of political stripe. Third Day defies categorization.
Not really... negative and confrontational.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 30-06-2016, 09:44   #1893

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Since we are referencing information from accurate news agencies like the Daily Caller, I thought I would post from an equally accurate news agency which parallels DC quite well...
Weekly World News | Search Results
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 30-06-2016, 11:31   #1894

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
It is easy enough to measure the various wavelengths of radiated energy to determine how much energy of each wavelength is retained by CO2 and other atmospheric gases. We don't need a massive world wide sensing net for that. CO2 let's higher frequency wavelengths of energy from the Sun through but absorbs the lower wavelengths that try to escape back into outer space. Were it not for this well known and quantified phenomenon much of the Earth would be like the ice planet Hoth. The heat trapping features of our atmosphere and oceans are responsible for a livable day/night temperature range.

It is also easy enough to measure the atmospheric concentration of CO2. It is rising faster than any time in recent history and is now higher than in many millennia. Therefore the heat trapping capacity of the atmosphere is rising. So the logical expectation is that "average" atmospheric temperature should be always rising. But the challenge in estimating how much it should rise is enormous because there are many other factors besides CO2 that affect the actual measured temperature. So measuring other things such as Arctic sea ice extent which can be done by satellite can tell us something about the temperature trend in that part of the world.

The physics based evidence for AGW is overwhelming for sure. CO2 traps heat and more CO2 traps more heat. The rub is that the vast majority of estimating models predicted a higher average temperature rise than what we have seen to date. But that does not invalidate the fact that rising CO2 levels will cause increased temperatures all other things being equal. It just means that all other things are not equal.

The combined models used in the graphs in the pictures below, from the latest IPCC summary, show that the observed temperatures fit very well the into the modeled temperatures, regionally mostly right in the middle, though (as should be expected) there is some variation. Globally, the observed temperatures are right in the middle of the combined models, which to me would indicate that they are reasonable accurate...

You can see the originals and read the whole assessment here: (Thanks, Exile)

https://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-r...rochure_en.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
( I still say ice breakers play a larger role than ppl are willing to admit or accept)
Yep, and a lot of people still say, contrary to 2500+ years of observation and subsequent proofs, that the earth is flat...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply
Old 30-06-2016, 12:29   #1895

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Another straw man. You successfully beat it to death.

Other GHGs are recognized and H2O is recognized by the IPCC as the predominate one.

CO2 is one of GHGs over which we have some control. The 40% increase over the past 2.5 centuries to directly linked to the burning of fossil fuels. The increase in CO2 has also lead to an increase the amount of water vapour in the atmosphere.
A poster wanted to specifically know CO2's contribution. Obviously you have no idea what the specific value is. Ever noticed water vapour is a "runaway" Greenhouse gas on paper?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 30-06-2016, 12:31   #1896

Quote:
You really like those straw man don't you? Very few climate scientists said the science is settled.

From the description of the grpah you presented.

The one I presented was from 2013, AR5.
So simplified charts produced for the masses don't need to tell the true story, aye?

Old 30-06-2016, 12:32   #1897

Quote:
Are you really that naive?
Well, go ahead and explain it for use naive types. You obviously know the answer.

Old 30-06-2016, 12:51   #1898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Well, go ahead and explain it for use naive types. You obviously know the answer.

You really are that naive.

Off the top of my head:

melting ice sheets, rising sea levels, species extinction (maybe us), droughts, extreme weather, crop failures, coastal flooding, glacial retreat, ocean acidifcation,
Old 30-06-2016, 13:12   #1899

Quote:
You really are that naive.

Off the top of my head:

melting ice sheets, rising sea levels, species extinction (maybe us), droughts, extreme weather, crop failures, coastal flooding, glacial retreat, ocean acidifcation,
So that's an answer? Just about every very single one of those events was occuring prior to the current climate change scare. I'll concede ocean acidification, or more correctly neutralisation, but I suspect no one monitored the pH value that intently prior to the mid 20th century.

You need to try harder.

Old 30-06-2016, 13:26   #1900

Quote:
So that's an answer? Just about every very single one of those events was occuring prior to the current climate change scare. I'll concede ocean acidification, or more correctly neutralisation, but I suspect no one monitored the pH value that intently prior to the mid 20th century.

You need to try harder.

Really

I see a cooling trend in the period leading up to the industrial revolution.

Milankovitch cycles would indicate cooling, solar activity would indicate cooling, but it has been rapidly warming for the past 2.5 centuries as we dumped 1.5 trillion tonnes of CO2, a known GHG, into the atmosphere.
Old 30-06-2016, 14:32   #1901

Quote:
Really

I see a cooling trend in the period leading up to the industrial revolution.

Milankovitch cycles would indicate cooling, solar activity would indicate cooling, but it has been rapidly warming for the past 2.5 centuries as we dumped 1.5 trillion tonnes of CO2, a known GHG, into the atmosphere.
These guys called to say BS

Old 30-06-2016, 14:55   #1902
cruiser

this thread needs some advice:

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig."
AD28 is offline   Reply
Old 30-06-2016, 15:08   #1903

Quote:
These guys called to say BS

Just as I thought. You get your information from cartoons.
Old 30-06-2016, 15:23   #1904

Quote:
Just as I thought. You get your information from cartoons.
I searched and searched but couldn't find an actual photo of the ice age. So I used artistic license.

I'll throw in a free fact to cheer you up...

Why Did the Woolly Mammoth Die Out? Reason Number One: Climate Change

Why Did the Woolly Mammoth Die Out? - National Geographic
Old 30-06-2016, 15:27   #1905

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
I searched and searched but couldn't find an actual photo of the ice age. So I used artistic license.

I'll throw in a free fact to cheer you up...

Why Did the Woolly Mammoth Die Out? Reason Number One: Climate Change

Why Did the Woolly Mammoth Die Out? - National Geographic
Doesn't count Reef if man or a fossil fuel co. didn't have something to do with it. Probably just a bad weather event.
Exile is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising