Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2020, 20:06   #61

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Covidiot Cruisers in the Solomon Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I think it was arsenlupiga who raised the concept of the weight of water as the basis for catamarans relying on watermakers. No worries, as long as they keep working. It is not safe practice, no matter how frequent it may be. It is also related to using more fresh water for various things than is strictly necessary, and is due to people not wanting to change their water consumption habits.

These folks above, may really need to water up, if their plan for topping up their tanks has failed due to the watermaker failing. You can get by up there, on 2 liters per day per person, if you use salt water for everything possible. It is what we did. You should plan on watering up with enough water for 50% longer travel than.

I haven't been to the Solomons for a long time, but good luck trying to find a phone! These have been extremely isolated islands for a long time, with one of the higher malaria rates worldwide, a horticultural, tribal society. There are some eco-tourism places that might have a phone, but you'd certainly have to go ashore to find them, and people with 36 ft. sailboats do not normally have satphones.

I hope they can get their problems sorted.

Ann

Size of boat has nothing to do with owning or not a satellite phone and in this day and age is relatively common equipment. Even the cost of prepay or intermittent connection (passages only) is not all that much in the greater scheme of things. Solomon Islands government offices do have phones and computers (at least in Honiara).

Their course makes sense if heading for the Philippines, but lack of water is weird on a passage. Keeping enough water for 1.5 times or 2 times expected passage time is standard practice regardless of water maker presence. Using stored water so fast on a passage through closed countries and relying on the water maker or local resupply is foolish.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 20:53   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
FP?..... which is their most likely 'last port'.... currently a country of high risk....

Covidiots.....
The point I was trying to make was ... how far is FP from the Solomon Islands? What is the typical travel time by sailboat? What is the quarantine period for Covid? The risk of Covid unless they were traveling from Papua, Indonesia or Philippines would be minimal simply due to the length of time traveled exceeding the quarantine period. So idiots, maybe, but covidiots, doubtful.
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 21:56   #63

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPCampbell View Post
The point I was trying to make was ... how far is FP from the Solomon Islands? What is the typical travel time by sailboat? What is the quarantine period for Covid? The risk of Covid unless they were traveling from Papua, Indonesia or Philippines would be minimal simply due to the length of time traveled exceeding the quarantine period. So idiots, maybe, but covidiots, doubtful.
About 20 days at 150 miles a day so - yes - would have satisfied quarantine requirements.... unless.... https://en.mercopress.com/2020/07/15...35-days-at-sea but even that needs a sizeable crew to keep the covid ball a rolling..

All by the by now as it seems they had spent some months in covide free Fiji...
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 00:48   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
"Many People" and "everyone knows" both sound like solid logic and factual evidence when you're talking about and informed by only the like-minded neighbors who also live in your gated FL community... but it also shows zero understanding of what's going on anywhere else in the world.

Please spend a little time venturing further and broadening your mind and context... and if that isn't possible or unlikely to happen, please at least understand that the entire world does not revolve around nor share all the ideas and logic of your little neck of the woods.

If you step outside your current silo, you'll learn that most of the world does NOT actually use that terminology and as has been shown by the broader global community here is actually seen as both insulting and ignorant.

The only reason most people in other countries around the globe might know what you're referring to at this point is because the rest of the world is watching in horror as they try to figure out if the nightly news coming out of the US is actually an accurate depiction of current events or a bad SNL skit (sadly, it's getting harder and harder to tell the difference).

I just can’t give in to mass hysteria, it’s not healthy.

Also I could go about anywhere and say the China virus or Wuhan virus and folks would know what I’m talking about, I think you know that.

I travel a good deal with my work, and interact with all sorts of people, however don’t watch the media as I prefer my fiction to be more entertaining and thought out.

I love the wrist wringing at people “watching the us in horror” and all that, most in the US don’t give two craps about what they think, maybe those places should try to be more relevant so they don’t have to try to live their life through the US.

Like Canada, tons in Canada are all into the US election, many in the US couldn’t tell you the first thing about Canada’s situation, don’t know, don’t care.
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 01:02   #65
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post

Many people call it the China fly or Wuhan flu, there is a reason everyone knows exactly what you’re talking about when you use that name. I don’t see the problem, and if offends the government of China, well, good.
You need to get more - not many people (as in - almost none) use that term in the wider world although apparently a minority of Sepos do. And yes, most of the world would also understand this.

However given the current infection numbers, maybe a better term would be the donnie flu.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 02:16   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
You need to get more - not many people (as in - almost none) use that term in the wider world although apparently a minority of Sepos do. And yes, most of the world would also understand this.

However given the current infection numbers, maybe a better term would be the donnie flu.
So trump traveled to China under the cover of darkness, made the virus in Wuhan and infected a ton of Chinese, somehow got Xi to keep it a secret until it already spread?

I know everything bad is always trumps fault, but this is kinda pushing it a little lol
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 03:46   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Also I could go about anywhere and say the China virus or Wuhan virus and folks would know what I’m talking about, I think you know that.
Just because "folks" would understand your meaning is not justification and does not make it proper, polite, nor correct to use the terminology.

You could use certain pejoratives to refer to people of certain ethnic backgrounds and "folks" would all know what you're talking about but does not mean it would be acceptable to do so, at least in polite company.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 04:00   #68
cruiser

Mods. Can you please lock this thread and boot or ban some folks. While I would love to hear the outcome of why the cruisers were in the solomons without approval, that is unlikely to occur. This thread has dissolved into US politics (as nearly all threads seem to of late) and near mud slinging and name calling
Knot Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 04:05   #69

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
I just can’t give in to mass hysteria, it’s not healthy.

I travel a good deal with my work, and interact with all sorts of people, however don’t watch the media as I prefer my fiction to be more entertaining and thought out.

I love the wrist wringing at people “watching the us in horror” and all that, most in the US don’t give two craps about what they think, maybe those places should try to be more relevant so they don’t have to try to live their life through the US.
What if instead of thinking of everyone outside your bubble as "mass hysteria" you took a moment and considered whether they may have all caught the bug of common decency and compassion for others?

I know you can't imagine a world where people would make a decision to impact their own convenience for the good/safety of others, but there's actually quite a bit of that going on around the world right now... even if you can't see it from your neighborhood or chosen media/fiction.

The simple fact is that these cruisers made some very bad or very self-centered decisions and chose to ignore local law and put others at risk for their own benefit/convenience.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 04:50   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Just because "folks" would understand your meaning is not justification and does not make it proper, polite, nor correct to use the terminology.

You could use certain pejoratives to refer to people of certain ethnic backgrounds and "folks" would all know what you're talking about but does not mean it would be acceptable to do so, at least in polite company.
Indeed.

I've noted objections to people and ideas being labelled "ignorant", when, that's exactly what they (hopefully) are - ignorant (unknowing). Misinformation spread through ignorance.
“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.”
Less forgivable, IMO, in this incredible age of information, but (at least) unwitting.

There's another, much more egregious sin: the deliberate (knowing) dissemination of disinformation - lying.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 04:56   #71

Boat: Dragonfly 920 / 30 ft

Man, I'm out of touch. I thought the Covidiots are the guys who are so panicked about the whole thing that they turn off their brains and become scared of a couple of people who spent weeks at sea...
Simon.Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 05:17   #72

Boat: no boat any more

"...What is creepy and Orwellian is asking people to spy on each other like the Stasi did...."
The FUNDAMENTAL difference is: the Stasi were checking the compliance of inhumane, undemocratic, contradicting-human-rights rules, whereas banning foreigners from ILLEGAL entry is a very sensible rule for a 3rd-world island nation in the times of a pandemic. (but I guess we are all just brainwashed waiting to get the Bill-Gates-chip implanted by compulsory vaccinations...)
Old 14-12-2020, 05:20   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Safety View Post
Mods. Can you please lock this thread and boot or ban some folks. While I would love to hear the outcome of why the cruisers were in the solomons without approval, that is unlikely to occur. This thread has dissolved into US politics (as nearly all threads seem to of late) and near mud slinging and name calling

Use the red triangle. I just have
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 05:32   #74
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Covidiot Cruisers in the Solomon Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
"...What is creepy and Orwellian is asking people to spy on each other like the Stasi did...."
The FUNDAMENTAL difference is: the Stasi were checking the compliance of inhumane, undemocratic, contradicting-human-rights rules, whereas banning foreigners from ILLEGAL entry is a very sensible rule for a 3rd-world island nation in the times of a pandemic. (but I guess we are all just brainwashed waiting to get the Bill-Gates-chip implanted by compulsory vaccinations...)
Exactly.. a countries rules of entry are vastly different from say the UK Government asking people to spy on their neighbour's and report supposed gathering in homes which lead to police raids on said homes often to find no gathering whatsoever.
That is Orwellian and Stasi like.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 05:56   #75
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Covidiot Cruisers in the Solomon Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.Sails View Post
Man, I'm out of touch. I thought the Covidiots are the guys who are so panicked about the whole thing that they turn off their brains and become scared of a couple of people who spent weeks at sea...

Sorry you think sailors are exempt from a countries laws, cause this thread isn’t about COVID

Tags
cruise, cruiser