Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2010, 00:58   #166

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I read an article in one of the boating mags a few years ago about a couple that saved their Cheoy Lee sailboat from sinking. Flooding was due to cracks in the hull, below the waterline and just forward of the keel. The cracks showed up after beating to weather in the Caribbean. In one of the pictures of the hull there appeared to be a hardpoint along a stringer. There was also separation of bulkheads from the hull noted.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 02:20   #167
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Unemploying Lawyers...

Sometimes there are enough consumer protection, review, appeal and related programs available that lawyers are not totally necessary. Worth checking.

I've known of lawyers that just kept on writing letters until the opposition gave up. Might not know the inside of a courtroom if they stumbled into it.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 05:49   #168

Boat: Lagoon 440
No more Cheoy Lee yachts built in Hong Kong folks - all now in southern China but still great boats. Same company, same ethics, different location. They still have a yard for commercial boats, repairs etc in Hong Kong.
Cheers
DHHong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 10:13   #169

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Sometimes there are enough consumer protection, review, appeal and related programs available that lawyers are not totally necessary. Worth checking.

I've known of lawyers that just kept on writing letters until the opposition gave up. Might not know the inside of a courtroom if they stumbled into it.

Back in 82 I bought a Brand new Cessna 172 full IFR, the works, as a Lease back to a Dealer/Flight School... Months after we signed the contract stating they had agreed to retain the plane at a specified monthly amount for two years with an option of renewal they went belly up..

The Owner tried to threaten to sue me for the 13K he agreed to carry remaining owing on the plane ..Basically his commission...

I walked into the office of a lawyer in town I had never even met before, I just picked one...He listened to my story, looked at my documentation and contract and said...." Wright me a check for 500.00 and I"ll take care of it"

I never heard from either of them again...other then receiving a copy of the letter he wrote the guy...which basically told him he would be sued himself if he didn't just go away.

All Im saying is "Push back" it does work quite easily sometimes...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 10:04   #170

Boat: Cheoy Lee 48 sloop
Been pushing back...Just wanted to let you all know something I found today

http://www.mikkelborg.com/files/Avoi...e-Problems.pdf
Hope this helps someone in the future.
Thanks all. Susan
nowbythebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 14:33   #171

Susan,

I have read the postings about your boat and your experiences on it and I would like to contribute to the discussion.

First, let me set out my qualifications to pontificate on marine engineering: I know absolutely nothing about it whatsoever. However, I do know one or two things about aviation engineering and accident reporting which are (or should be) germane to this discussion.

I am a solo pilot and I have decided to save up and try a life on the ocean wave so, like you, I have lots to learn. Unlike you I am nowhere near the purchasing bit.

In an aviation accident report, those involved in the accident are never named. The purpose of the report is to help other pilots understand why the accident occurred and how it could have been avoided or minimised. Even when names are known, pilots are never chastised or "picked on". Anyone involved in aviation has this attitude to safety and disclosure pounded into them from day one.

As a result, I have found some of the comments made here totally alien to my way of thinking. This is an accident report. It is a learning opportunity. It should not be an opportunity for mudslinging. In balance I must also add that I was heartened to see that most of the posters reacted in a positive and constructive way.

This leads me to my second point. It is standard practice in aviation for a part to have a "lifetime". Even parts that appear 100% OK are discarded when they reach their mandated lifetime. This even applies to entire aircraft. Every aircraft has a maintenance logbook which lists everything about the aircraft. How many hours has it flown? How many landings have the tyres had? When was its last 50 hour engine inspection? When were the control cables last changed? etc etc.

It seems to me that a safety critical part such as a seacock should have a mandated life well within its expected failure lifetime. If past experience shows that (say) a seacock will fail in 10 years then they would have a mandated 6 year life.

Do boats lack a maintenance log of this sort?

I know one thing for sure. Reading this story has convinced me to institute an aircraft-like schedule on any boat I get my hands on. Seacocks shall be my first replacement.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I shall remember them and apply the lessons.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 15:34   #172
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
Inquisition? Asking an individual to explain discrepancies......
I posted early in this thread and am just returning to it now. I don't think a single person should question Susan or crew. Comments from this guy are just incomprehensible to me and demonstrate a complete lack of experience or a naturally critical nature.

Boat's break... stuff happens... the crew risk their lives and fight to save a vessel. That has all been explained, and is all that need to be said.

I hope Susan get's that check soon. I for one will be cheering for her as she selects her new boat.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 20:54   #173

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Very good information Susan...Thanks for posting that.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 13:30   #174

Boat: Hunter Vision 32 - S/V Nepenthe
"Stayafloat" putty

previous posters have mentioned various means of emergency plugs .... doe anyone have any experience with stayafloat putty? I am not associated with the company or product ... it almost sounds like the product is "too good to be true" i.e. "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" .... website mentions pressures of 19.15 psia ... how much pressure is that???? would it have helped in this situation??

www dot stayafloatmarine dot com

(p.s. ... I see that this is my first post on this forum! I know this sets off red flags that I may be a spammer .... I usually frequent the other "owners" forum or the "net" forums ... I've only owned my boat for less than a year ... and I am not a spammer as the "first time post" might flag ... )

Ron
ronrelyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 03:36   #175

Re: Been pushing back...Just wanted to let you all know something I found today

Hi Susan, I have been reading about your fateful voyage & I know it was a while ago now but having read the blogs my curiosity has the better of me.....Did you eventually get paid out by the insurers ?
chrisdes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 04:06   #176

Boat: Mason 43 cutter
Re: Cheoy Lee Lost Off NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I read an article in one of the boating mags a few years ago about a couple that saved their Cheoy Lee sailboat from sinking. Flooding was due to cracks in the hull, below the waterline and just forward of the keel. The cracks showed up after beating to weather in the Caribbean. In one of the pictures of the hull there appeared to be a hardpoint along a stringer. There was also separation of bulkheads from the hull noted.
Sometimes those integral keels aren't all they are cracked up to be.
Rod Headlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 04:47   #177
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the stainless used in the creation of boats made in taiwan is not as good quality as that which used to be made in usa---same with the tanks used in these boats--is an excellent idea, when purchasing a taiwanese built boat to change out those and replace with good quality stainless....my formosa is a really good example if this--as are all hans christians and cheoy lee, formosa, ct, hardin..grand banks--anything built in taiwan. doesnt mean the boats are not up to par, as it were--is just a really good idea to change these inferiorly made items out when planning a passage ....they fail. as we no longer make stainless in this country we are having to suffer more failures. good luck and change it out if in doubt...
toilet seal wax is excellent in emergency situations--i have been using it for shaft log and cutlass bearing issues with good results...have to stuff it in from both sides--it will stay for a bit...should get the boat to safety....
Actually, I am not sure it's even an Asia vs. U.S. issue, but more a reflection of the era in which the boats were built. Then, 304 stainless was much more readily available than 316, so they went with the former, which is not as corrosion resistent. I think that might well have been the case with American made boats of that era, too, though I could be wrong.
Old 22-06-2011, 07:50   #178
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ANY boat of age over 20 yrs NEEDS new chain plates and tangs i dont care what kinda boat it is.
304 ss is stronger than 316, a more brittle and more shiny and yottie metal. overbuild is good-- old stuff breaks i dont care WHERE the boat is built.
i replaced my unknown ss chain plates with 304 and i am very very happy with the overbuild as the 316 cracks more easily--is more brittle. dont build for looks--build for durability.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 13:17   #179

Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ANY boat of age over 20 yrs NEEDS new chain plates and tangs i dont care what kinda boat it is.
304 ss is stronger than 316, a more brittle and more shiny and yottie metal. overbuild is good-- old stuff breaks i dont care WHERE the boat is built.
i replaced my unknown ss chain plates with 304 and i am very very happy with the overbuild as the 316 cracks more easily--is more brittle. dont build for looks--build for durability.
Not really. 304 and 316 both, in plate form, carry a 75,000psi tensil strength. Both have very simular chemical composition. 304 can contain about 2% more crome. But 316 has up about 2% Molybdenum, which 304 has none.
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 13:19   #180
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok, then, splain why it is that 316 cracks at the bends and 304 doesnt.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheoy lee, lost