Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 08:45   #91

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I, as a father, understand just what may have been going through this fathers mind. I don't think he was resisting robbery as much as he was trying to protect his daughter.

It will be small comfort to her, and none at all to him, that his death may have saved her life.

RIP Milan, you did good....................m
Old 09-12-2010, 09:30   #92

Boat: Hunter 33 - Breezin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
I, as a father, understand just what may have been going through this fathers mind. I don't think he was resisting robbery as much as he was trying to protect his daughter.

It will be small comfort to her, and none at all to him, that his death may have saved her life.

RIP Milan, you did good....................m

That's probably the most poignant thing I've read in this thread.

I cannot even begin to imagine what this girl is going through.....

From http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2882285:

"Her mother's going to take her to the doctor this afternoon (to see) if there's anything she should be doing," Wilson said Tuesday, because every time you mention it, well, we don't mention it, but once in a while she will say something and she just tears up. She can't talk."
Old 10-12-2010, 15:33   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Evidently, Myda gave a statement to CBC News, in which she said they were approached by 4 men asking for help (loan of tools).
Having given them some tools, he offered to (insisted upon?) correct what they were trying to do (wrong), and one of the men felt threatened, pulled a gun, and shot her father.

Her statement should be played on CBC’s “The Current” later at 8:00PM, tonight.
http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/progr...current_review

Old 10-12-2010, 15:50   #94
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Quote unquote bullet-ridden body, repulsed by a flaregun (when there's so much talk about how useless they are for just that), hiding belowdecks someplace on a sailboat that is being ransacked...

I don't know Gord. I get the "tragedy" part but I have the feeling everything else is being mangled in "translation". A man lends you tools and you get so scared you shoot him, right.

Sounds like an abbreviated version of the JFK assassination, complete with a Warren Commission Report, the CIA, Cubans, and the Mob. All it needs now is an explanation of why Elvis and the Roswell UFO were involved.

I going to cross out everything beyond "a sailor got shot" because all the rest seems to be in question.
Old 10-12-2010, 21:16   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Evidently, Myda gave a statement to CBC News, in which she said they were approached by 4 men asking for help (loan of tools).
Having given them some tools, he offered to (insisted upon?) correct what they were trying to do (wrong), and one of the men felt threatened, pulled a gun, and shot her father.

Her statement should be played on CBC’s “The Current” later at 8:00PM, tonight.
CBC.ca - Program Guide - Programs
I saw the interview and I have to say she is holding it together well all things considered. She said a boat w/ 4 men aboard approached them and they were 'suspicious looking'- they were concerned before they even arrived to ask for tools. They asked to borrow a screwdriver and as Milan was handing one over it slipped or dropped and Milan made a quick move to grab it. One of these four men was startled by that (probably not knowing the tool had been dropped) and reacted to Milan's quick move by shooting him, a total of 4 times. Myda started to scream 'what have you done/ did you do to my father' when she realized that Milan had placed the flare gun just behind her. She reached for it and pointed it at them and the 4 men took off. She assumes they thought it was a real gun.

She figured out how to make a call for help and was told a ship would head towards her, head in a specific direction to intercept it. As they approached each other her engine died and the boat began to drift towards the steep shores and she was told to abandon it. She apologized to her father for leaving him, then left the boat to be rescued. Later her father's body was recovered and returned to Canada for cremation.

This was her first sailing trip. FWIW she came across as nothing other than an honest and decent young woman who had just endured hell and whose life will never be the same.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:19   #96

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Here's the story of the murder from the daughter:
‘I can still hear the gun in my ear,’ says daughter of tourist killed in Honduras - The Globe and Mail

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/...-egrmajer.html
Old 11-12-2010, 04:31   #97
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Myda's Interview

Myda Egrmajer recounts in an emotional interview with Mark Kelley what happened when her father's sailboat was approached by gunmen off the coast of Honduras

Part 1 ➥ Honduras pirate attack, part 2

Part 2 ➥ Honduras pirate attack, part 2

Old 11-12-2010, 06:40   #98
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Wow, that's the saddest, most emotional story I've gotten off of CF. I can see why there is so much division among posters in regards to threats. I see my daughters face in Myda's and imagine the horror. Hopefully she will be able to come to some type of peace with this and move on. I don't know if I could.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:00   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

“... (Myda) Egrmajer said she became suspicious when another boat carrying four men approached them. One of the men said their engine had broken down and asked her father for a screwdriver. When her father returned with one, the man said it wasn't the right type and asked for another.

The man then said he needed a knife, Egrmajer said, which her father went and got. She said when one of the men fumbled with it, her father told him it didn't look like he was putting it back correctly.

"When he leaned over, I guess one of the other guys felt threatened and he pulled out a handgun and shot him in the chest four times, just 'cause he was asking for help, you know, to help him with the engine ...

... Egrmajer said she noticed her father had brought the flare gun when he got the knife and had put it behind her.

"I picked it up and I just yelled at them and I waved the gun at them and I think they thought it was real. Thank God, because they took off fairly quickly after that," she said ...”

Read more ➥ CBC News - Ottawa - Honduran pirate victim: 'What have you done?'

Old 11-12-2010, 07:52   #100

Quote:
“...
... Egrmajer said she noticed her father had brought the flare gun when he got the knife and had put it behind her.

"I picked it up and I just yelled at them and I waved the gun at them and I think they thought it was real. Thank God, because they took off fairly quickly after that," she said ...”
Come on Gordy, you’re too valuable to loose.

You know you can be excommunicated on this forum for suggesting anyone might defend themselves with one of those g-word thingies.

Can’t we change the story a little to suit the accepted maxim around here that resistance only leads to more violence?

Old 11-12-2010, 09:38   #101
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgow View Post
Come on Gordy, you’re too valuable to loose.
You know you can be excommunicated on this forum for suggesting anyone might defend themselves with one of those g-word thingies.
Can’t we change the story a little to suit the accepted maxim around here that resistance only leads to more violence?
I'm afraid your comments lost me.

I haven’t seen anyone suggest that Myda defended herself with one of those g-word thingies. She brandished a FLARE pistol, not a firearm.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:58   #102

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
I'm afraid your comments lost me.

I haven’t seen anyone suggest that Myda defended herself with one of those g-word thingies. She brandished a FLARE pistol, not a firearm.

I submit all those guys saw was a "pistol", not a "flare pistol".

Now we can start speculating on what would have happened had the girl not brandished a "weapon".
Old 11-12-2010, 10:13   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Brob2,

Thanks for stating the obvious, which for some reason some folks don't get. Let me repeat your very appropriate words...

If off-topic posts such as the more recent ones continue, one or more of three things will happen: the posts will be deleted without PM to the poster, repeated posting of such will attract an Official Warning or Strike, and/or the thread will be shut down.

Please show some respect and consideration for the vast majority of members who consider voicing your strongly-held opinions about guns, violence, self-defense, etc. in a thread about a tragic incident involving a cruising sailor exceedingly offensive.
Thank You! I am so sick of this "get lots of guns" crap I could puke.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:28   #104
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

To me this reads like a tragic accident/mis-understanding whatever...
If the guys had turned up with a plan to rob the boat and they felt their plan had gone wrong so shot the guy...
I'm pretty sure they'd have swung round and shot the girl as well.. it takes a lot less time than she would have reacted in..
The shot had been fired and maybe heard.. so end things fast and ransack the boat.. no point having a screaming female on the scene..
I'm of the feeling that they were as shocked by what had happened and un-nerved enough it gave the girl time to react and they were only to happy to get out of there...
But then I could be totally wrong... and nothing makes what happened OK

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:04   #105

Boat: Tayana 37
In Norway, Canada, and Japan there is help for the down and out. Indonesia, Somalia, Venezuala, Honduras there isn't. They see anyone who can feed themselves today, let alone next week, as rich. No excuse, but they want some too and some will do anything to get it. I think Sabrekai is right, their numbers are on the increase. As the rich get richer the poor get more and more dangerous.
Closed Thread